• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel 1

29 posts in this topic

Couldn't someone reverse "lightened pages" by simply darkening them?

Hehe

Reverse osmosis and depending on what chemical was used, its possible to neutralize (kind of like de acidifying )

HBD you big timely collector, you.

i'd advise you to wait for a nicer one, sir.

Awwww, thanks Billy. But my birthday isn't until January.

HBD you big timely collector, you.

i'd advise you to wait for a nicer one, sir.

Awwww, thanks Billy. But my birthday isn't until January.

A very happy unbirthday to you. :hi:

Not a Frankenstein book, however, personally I'd never buy a book that has had the interior lightened. That type of restoration rapidly advances the aging process due to the chemicals used to strip off the old bonding agents. It only temporarily masks the underlying problem.

Good to know. Thanks West.

not a Frankenbook. There is a coverless copy on Ebay from a boardie for 15k. Don't know if it is the same book that recently sold for 7k approx

Different book. I believe the one on EBay has its pages leaf casted.

Not sure why you think it is leaf casted there is no resto at all. It has had nothing done to it, the 1wrap wrap is loose that is it. And mine is not the copy that sold for 7K mine is OO book. As for the price, it is obviously aggressive, but I am not looking to dumb a mega key when it's down, so anyone that was seriously interested can always contact me. After the 1st wrap the interior is really quite nice.

James G

Being a bit of a chemist it is possible to slow down the damage that lightening of the pages does, or even stop it; but the damage cannot be undone. What is left can be conserved and that is about it. Sad really.... :sorry:

Couldn't someone reverse "lightened pages" by simply darkening them?

Hehe

Reverse osmosis and depending on what chemical was used, its possible to neutralize (kind of like de acidifying )

Doesn't work that way. I'm not sure it's possible to reverse the microscopic deterioration that has already occurred. Chemical reactions are usually pretty quick. There are always new conservation technologies and procedures that are being tested but I'm not aware of any that will work. Perhaps Kenny will come on here and let us know if any new frontiers have been crossed in this area.