• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Saga of my ASM 50

83 posts in this topic

I love SS myself and have a nice little SS Stan Lee collection. That said after my last convention I will really be rethinking doing it again. I was talking to some SS retailers (I had dropped my books off to them a few conventions ago) and one of their workers suddenly had a look of horror on their face. They picked a major silver age key up out of their box to be signed and it looked like a golf club. Apparently it had been leaning and a bunch of books had been placed on it. It was now a golf club.

Maybe it's because I just woke up and/or because I don't golf, but I don't understand the comparison. "It looked like a golf club"? I don't get it.

Please draw me a picture. ;)

L or J

Wow, CGC seems to have one PR nightmare after another...

I don't think this is CGC's nightmare. It's DWC, I believe.

This.

Bingo.

+1

After comparing the Grader's Notes, this book probably went through hell before it arrived at CGC.

^^

Not to rain on the DWC parade but that seems like the most plausible scenario. At some point in the process someone dropped the ball and your book was [unfortunately] not handled with care.

This.

Bingo.

+1

After comparing the Grader's Notes, this book probably went through hell before it arrived at CGC.

^^

Not to rain on the DWC parade but that seems like the most plausible scenario. At some point in the process someone dropped the ball and your book was [unfortunately] not handled with care.

Maybe Romita read it before signing. (shrug)

Who cracked it out if the slab? It is best to include a pre-made window bag with 3-4 backing boards behind it to have them put the book in after it is cracked out. This is less problematic with blue label slabs since the owner can do the prep work themselves. Yellow label slabs need to be cracked by the facilitator or CGG so you have no control over it once it is shipped out.

The damage this book received most likely happened when the comic was being removed from the inner well. If it is like any of the ones I was able to witness being removed in the past, the end result is not surprising.

This.

Bingo.

Never. Ever. Give a book to ham-handed Desert Winds. They no longer have a lock on Stan Lee. Use dscott or GACollectibles.

Argh. I have five books with DWC right now (Klaus Janson). My first time using them. Will let you know how it goes...

:facepalm:

Joey a prepared windowed bag and board was provided and wasn't used. I can tell because romitas signature is Not where I wanted it nor windowed it. It was yellow label so I couldn't crack it.

Joey a prepared windowed bag and board was provided and wasn't used. I can tell because romitas signature is Not where I wanted it nor windowed it. It was yellow label so I couldn't crack it.

Sorry to hear.

I'd rage out on the company that got it signed for you.

:sick: Sorry to hear that man, I can't believe they sent you the wrong book initially, Jesus, imagine if that happened with a huge $$ book.

GL on them making it right with you

I love SS myself and have a nice little SS Stan Lee collection. That said after my last convention I will really be rethinking doing it again. I was talking to some SS retailers (I had dropped my books off to them a few conventions ago) and one of their workers suddenly had a look of horror on their face. They picked a major silver age key up out of their box to be signed and it looked like a golf club. Apparently it had been leaning and a bunch of books had been placed on it. It was now a golf club.

Maybe it's because I just woke up and/or because I don't golf, but I don't understand the comparison. "It looked like a golf club"? I don't get it.

Please draw me a picture. ;)

:D

As someone else mentioned it was now shaped like an L. Even in the backing board, the entire book, bag and board were all totally bent about 2 or 3 inches from the bottom. Almost at a 90 degree angle...it was an Avengers 1...

So now it has permanent thru and thru crease?

Who treats books like this???

Yeah I'll just set er down over here.....

It really needed a press for sure after that. I almost said - are you guys going to pay for that to be pressed now? I'm sure it had new color breaking creases - how could it not? But it was not my book, so I just kept my mouth shut. They knew I saw it because I was talking to them as they pulled I your of their box.

If I was them and a customer witnessed it I would have made a point of saying how we better contact owner immediately and see what we need to do to resolve this.....

Some facilitators treat your books like they were their own, while other facilitators are all about volume and can't be bothered to take individual care with each book. Threads like this help educate the community on which facilitators to send their prized books to for SS.

It did, they were trying to quickly bend it back and placed it under some other books to flatten it out and get it out of sight.

Yeah,no thanks.If I was to ever get a book signed,your story has sealed the deal with me.

Never! :eek:

I once witnessed a facilitator cut a book out of the inner well with a pair of shears bending the book in three different directions while doing so. I stood and watched in horror as this was done to book after book.