• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Saga of my ASM 50

83 posts in this topic

So one of my favorite books I own is my ASM 50. Picked it up in 2012 from my LCS for a great price and loved it. Presented really well. Since this was a keeper book for me (one of my "never gonna sell unless it's the only thing between me and living in the gutter") I wanted to have it signed by Stan Lee (sorry people who don't like sigs, I understand) Had it signed in early 2013 and submitted. The book came back from CGC Yellow Label 6.5 and was extremely happy about it. The notes are here:

13906112690_c9a76bb784_c.jpg

You can see that both staples are attached, though the bottom staple is weak. Also there is no damage to the spine.

I was going to NYCBM in March and saw that Mr. Romita was going to be doing a signing the next day through DWC. Really wanted to add Mr. Romita's signature to the book so brought it with me and dropped it off with Chandler at the DWC booth at NYCBM. Figured everything was fine.

On 4/08 I received a Fedex notice that a book was delivered, went on the 09th and picked it up. Got home and opened the box. Inside was not my ASM 50 but rather someone else's book with my invoice. I contacted CGC the next day and they asked me to send back the book (I overnighted it back to them) and that they in fact still had my book, that it was in encapsulation and that it would be mailed out a few days later. Received the book back on 04/16 and was severly dismayed. The book was now a 5.5 Yellow label and looked like it had been beat to hell. To satisfy my curiosity (like I said I thought it looked much worse) I bought the notes. You can see them here.

14089478061_32bd8354c9_c.jpg

The spine is now beat to *spoon* with a hell of a spine split

14093224024_f53192ea0d_c.jpg

13906134449_cc725826a4_c.jpg

I contacted CGC they looked into it and said that they are unaware of what would have caused that damage but they did apologize for all the issues surrounding the book and offered some partial restitution. I also contacted Desert Wind on 4/16 and informed them of everything. They had been in partial contact with me, asking questions. I have not heard from them since April 24th.

I have been severely dismayed by this whole process, as I no longer love this book (the popped staple and the spine splits are a killer for me, the staple being the worst part) I truly hope that nothing like this happens to anyone else. Thanks for letting me vent my frustrations.

I would offer this advise. The book is still nice given it is in a CGC holder, the spine split and staple pull aren't such a big issue. I would keep it. It is sad it got damaged, but still a cool book.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Yea it still burns me up. I actually left the book locked up in my office because seeing it still sets off the rage monster. Thats the reason why I am even considering getting rid of it. As a monster Spidey fan my collection would be incomplete without an ASM 50 so really its a toss up between acquiring another one and keeping this one or acquiring another one and selling this one. I have no idea what I am going to do.