• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Saga of my ASM 50

83 posts in this topic

I love SS myself and have a nice little SS Stan Lee collection. That said after my last convention I will really be rethinking doing it again. I was talking to some SS retailers (I had dropped my books off to them a few conventions ago) and one of their workers suddenly had a look of horror on their face. They picked a major silver age key up out of their box to be signed and it looked like a golf club. Apparently it had been leaning and a bunch of books had been placed on it. It was now a golf club.

Maybe it's because I just woke up and/or because I don't golf, but I don't understand the comparison. "It looked like a golf club"? I don't get it.

Please draw me a picture. ;)

:D

As someone else mentioned it was now shaped like an L. Even in the backing board, the entire book, bag and board were all totally bent about 2 or 3 inches from the bottom. Almost at a 90 degree angle...it was an Avengers 1...

Ouch.

I've been guilty of doing that 2-3 times to my own books when hastily putting books back into a long box, but never to anything pricey.

Some facilitators treat your books like they were their own, while other facilitators are all about volume and can't be bothered to take individual care with each book. Threads like this help educate the community on which facilitators to send their prized books to for SS.

Yes, after seeing this thread and another thread (linked below) detailing DesertWindComics 's horrible business ethics, I know damn well they are to be avoided.

I don't see why all of you guys who have been screwed by DesertWindComics are so apprehensive about taking any sort of formal action against them.

....I am dismayed, borderline disgusted, that companies like this are a part of our hobby.

Oh and for the board's information and mutual benefit, I was in contact via PM with the poster who started this thread about DWC below.

DWC only responded to his complaints, after he had agreed to edit all of his comments (the factual details) of DWC's wrongdoing, in the thread linked below.....that is why the first post is edited.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8469303&fpart=1

It astounds me that CGC has not removed DesertWindComics from their list of authorized CGC member dealers/faciliators.

I would just say that whoever caused the damage should refund you in full, and then you should feel free to pick another copy and have it signed by Stan Lee and John Romita, as long as Stan is still with us.

Do not think much about it, if you want Stan's signature: in my opinion you can always sell this copy later on, but buy a new one.

I once witnessed a facilitator cut a book out of the inner well with a pair of shears bending the book in three different directions while doing so. I stood and watched in horror as this was done to book after book.

Dear God in Hell, No...

giphy.gif

Here's what's so @#&% aggravating, all these other entities made $$$ off ruining your book.

These old books are fragile and have to be handled with the utmost of care. Anyone who does not understand that and does not agree to treat these books with the best TLC possible, has no business touching these books. Even the signers themselves have been known to be rough with books when signing them. It's just inexcusable!

Odd threadsurrection...

Jay- did you ever get a new ASM 50?

I have a 9.4 unsigned that is staying unsigned and a 7.0 to get signed at this years NYCC. I still have the 5.5 that used to be a 6.5.

Odd threadsurrection...

I have a 9.4 unsigned that is staying unsigned and a 7.0 to get signed at this years NYCC. I still have the 5.5 that used to be a 6.5.

:applause: Wow

Odd threadsurrection...

Nothing odd about it, as you and others will find out

Yea I saw your other thread after the fact. What exactly happened?

I will tell you, I've used highly regarded facilitators here and even had issues. It really seems like a shoot.

I used Doug Scott last time, and it went pretty smoothly.

Odd threadsurrection...

Nothing odd about it, as you and others will find out

Yea I saw your other thread after the fact. What exactly happened?

I will tell you, I've used highly regarded facilitators here and even had issues. It really seems like a shoot.

I used Doug Scott last time, and it went pretty smoothly.

I've recently used Kevlar and I have bought plenty of books from Rich Henn without question.

This isn't about books that I have subbed or bought from, though.

I promise more details in the other thread when I have enough information to post. It's extremely personal to me, and I don't want my emotions to cloud anything I have to say about the matter at hand. I just want to find out as much as I can about Celestial Comics and DWC as I can so I can determine just how I feel about it all

$_57.JPG

This one is pretty good.

OMG is that what his signature looks like now? I haven't had anything signed by him in the last few years. I may be skipping his sig now. That's a shame.

This is my ASM 14 from 2012. You can actually see some of the letters besides the S and L

17604613218_e62c5242e7_c.jpg