• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic shop employees

63 posts in this topic

There are 3 stores now near me (used to be 5) but all three are very different when going into and each has there own merits and problems.

The oldest store has the most books and even has GA books but everything is prett much low/mid grade and probably overpriced as well. You have to pay for the bag and boards when buying new issues and I had once written she must not like indie books as she puts the back issues in a wire rack that screws them all up.

The store is organized well though and things in backstock are bagged/boarded. she is a bit distant and doesn't engage in conversation much.

The other store is across the street from the first. The best way to describe the interior is a combination of jenga/don't break the ice, but with boxed collectibles. Each month you know that book you can order things from like comics or statues, well he gets everything in it. I kid you not. There are so many collectible figures that are stacked to the ceiling 10 feet high and 150 deep that you usually have to ask him do you have this (its amazing he can mentally catalogue this much stuff) and you come back later for it. this goes for back issue comics too.

I don't like going in that store for that reason, as you can't get to anything except new books.

But if you want any conceivable collectible item, he has it, but don't expect to haggle on a price, as he doesn't do it, no matter how long its been there. He is a nice guy though.

The third store actually has multiple employees who all have wide range of knowledge and sell the most non comic related things. they do bag and board all new books and come that way on the shelf. back issues are a bit of a mystery as they have a bunch but are in an area that you have to ask to see, and so I've never bothered looking through them.

nice people though

On the few times I have had pull lists it is hit or miss...sometimes it happens like you said,but more than once the comics have been pretty banged up.Its just maddening when you take the time to go through a bunch of books to find the nicest one and then they pick it up by the spine corner and ding it all up. :pullhair:

I hear you porcupine. Nothing worse than putting in the time to pull a perfect book only to have a LCS cashier maul it with their Muppet hands.

Worst violators are those shops that use a bar scanner.

Don't these shops realize that a portion of their clientèle are not only readers but collectors?

I do not understand when people do not bag and board. They are comics…they are supposed to be bagged and boarded, this is not a new concept. So what if the seller doesn't think the bag and board are necessary, maybe the buyer does care.

Every comic I have and sell is bagged and boarded. One of my LCS sells B&Bs for .15…and that's to make a profit. I cannot stand anyone who will nickel and dime (literally) me for a bag and board when buying a comic.

Is it your expectation that a comic shop will bag and board every single new release comic?

I will say it is preferred. I know of LCSs B&B new releases. If one does and another doesn't, I will give my business to the one who does. This may not apply to places that do not have more than one LCS though.