• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic shop employees

63 posts in this topic

It is important to me that they handle any books I buy with care,not just fire them into the bag,or even worse,if there are several comics,whack them on the counter like they are stacking cards.The LCS in the city here tend to have an employee that is knowledgeable on each part of the store,ie,one girl is the toy/statue expert,another knows about the retro/used toys/games,and then someone for sports cards and another for comics.I guess I am fortunate.

I'm amazed at how few shops actually bag and board their new comics before putting them on shelves. The store where I have my pull list bags and boards everything.

It is important to me that they handle any books I buy with care,not just fire them into the bag,or even worse,if there are several comics,whack them on the counter like they are stacking cards.The LCS in the city here tend to have an employee that is knowledgeable on each part of the store,ie,one girl is the toy/statue expert,another knows about the retro/used toys/games,and then someone for sports cards and another for comics.I guess I am fortunate.

I'm amazed at how few shops actually bag and board their new comics before putting them on shelves. The store where I have my pull list bags and boards everything.

I'm more amazed at how bad Diamond ships they're books to the shops. I'm at my LCS lots of times when he's unpacking the orders.

I can't believe how may books are already mutilated with massive spine creases and dings from the way they pack those two stacks of books side by side in the box. Its a wonder any of them get there undamaged.

On the few times I have had pull lists it is hit or miss...sometimes it happens like you said,but more than once the comics have been pretty banged up.Its just maddening when you take the time to go through a bunch of books to find the nicest one and then they pick it up by the spine corner and ding it all up. :pullhair:

I'm more amazed at how bad Diamond ships they're books to the shops. I'm at my LCS lots of times when he's unpacking the orders.

I can't believe how may books are already mutilated with massive spine creases and dings from the way they pack those two stacks of books side by side in the box. Its a wonder any of them get there undamaged.

My shortage/damage list is always long, every week.

hear,hear!

I always test them by asking what the 1st appearance of Wonder Woman is. If they reply Wonder Woman # 1, I punch them in the face and walk out.

I do the same thing!!!!!! Except I ask the first appearance Ms. Marvel and do a Roundhouse kick for incorrect answers.

Sounds like you too would be a fan of this movie.....

comic_book_villains_2002.jpg

Saw it.....ehhhh. I was underwhelmed.

In my experience, most are knowledgeable. More important, I want them to know me and what I like. They'll watch out for you, stick something in your hold box if it might be of interest to you, that kind of thing. That's what I need from them. :)

That would be nice. I haven't had this yet. I've had them add random . I had Superior Spidey on my pull list, they added Superior Foes....that sort of thing. I was sometimes left putting some books back on the shelves.

My LCS owner knows everything about copper age and up but is kinda clueless about GA SA

Kids

But I find the damage is disproportionately to the Marvel books so it can't all be Diamond's fault. It is now routine to see several Marvel titles arrive each week with some damage to every single copy (usually spine mashes though this week there wasn't a single Spider-Man 1 without a blown-out bottom spine corner) my LCS gets. A few times in the past year I have just put my issue of Fantastic Four (which I have on subscription) back on the shelf (with the store owner's blessing) because there wasn't a copy that would even rate a 9.0. I'd rather skip an issue than pay up for shoddy merchandise.

what drives me nuts from these employees are when they don't know where to find stuff? C'mon you work here; don't tell me you don't know... at least say "I'll look into it" or "I'll check the back".

i had an experience where the employee shrugs her shoulder at me - made me feel like i'm wasting her time...

There is just one guy I hate every time I go to a particular store.

worst part - he models for comic book artists and is the basis of two characters in two very well known books and now I hate them.

i only care if they have a good understanding of what they have in their inventory and how willing they are to help me find what I'm looking for. Couldn't care less how much geek knowledge they have as to the content or relevance. I'm not there to socialize.

worst part - he models for comic book artists and is the basis of two characters in two very well known books and now I hate them.

We need more to this story... :popcorn:

It really depends where I'm going. For the most part I value good customer service and attitude over knowledge of specific issues and what-not. I'd rather them just be a general fan of some (any) series than a walking encyclopedia. A well kept store is a must for me, too. Then again, it helps having a smartphone to look up info on the fly or (at the very least) overstreet.

Like...

Half Price Books - it's great there's at least one fan, but it horrifies me some days how they treat books especially when some poor sap brings something in to sell. Hell, the way they man handled my 3ds xl... will never sell anything to them ever. Though I honestly don't expect much from them.

Vintage Stock - is a LOT better about it, but still annoying how they don't even bother keeping their stock in the correct alphabetical section. Just a tiny bit of TLC and it wouldn't have become such a FT project. But again, not expecting much for such a general store. Do appreciate the happy, welcoming attitude though. They'll help the best they can and that leads to a good enough experience overall.

Then there's a few local comic shops...

One of which I avoided like the plague. So much so that I'd rather drive 30 min to an hour away than go there. Dude was nice enough, but gave off a bit of a creepy vibe. Store was in shambles. Disorganized. Barely any stock (except newer, mainstream titles). Was no surprised it's been closed for months now.

There's my old comic shop. Great staff, knowledgeable, huge selection of books, etc. Even though it's dang near an hour and a half away (or more if traffic is heavy) it's worth going the extra distance. Went there for FCBD and was reminded how great it is. Will definitely be going there from now on once or twice a month at least.

One other is quite a bit closer but the staff... with the exception of the owner, seem a bit elitest. Unwelcoming to new customers. Not the most knowledgeable, but seem pretty familiar with what's new at the very least. Great selection of back issues and stock but... rather go extra miles than get ignored, talked down to, etc. Like it's SUCH a burden to help me find anything. IDK, maybe if they see I'm a regular they'll warm up to me as they do others but... not sure if it's worth the hassle. If they weren't one of the closest to submit CGC through I'd probably ignore it completely tbh.

So yeah. Be friendly, help the best you can, and keep your store organized. Biggest thing for me. Great if you know a lot about "everything" but if you have your niche that's cool too. Just my 2c

We need more to this story... :popcorn:

Indeed jhx4er_th.jpg

My LCS owner knows everything about copper age and up but is kinda clueless about GA SA

Kids

Thank God he has you available.

I don't go to comic book stores anymore. The ones near me or where I travel just do not have the back stock to make the effort worthwhile. Plus, they're usually dirty, stink and give me a headache. Employees? Eh - leave me alone.

Handling books properly is a lost art around here, most of my local stores act like magazine stands. Half the time, I have to educate the young cashier how to hold a book. They're afraid to let me inspect wall books, and look at me like I have 3 heads when I ask to open the bag.

I'd rather not socialize. Brilliant icebreakers like "so you like old books?" and "how many boxes do you have?" never spawn very interesting conversations. Just make the effort to ask if there's anything I need as I walk by, and leave me alone.

My LCS owner knows a smidge about vintage books, but not very much overall.

His staff is made up of goth 17 year old girls who specialize in gaming. Yikes.

I'd wait a year before asking about their piercings...