• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The comic that has most influenced you?

63 posts in this topic

1st serious impact...

To a kid, this was burned on my eye balls ever since...

bullseye-elektra1.jpg

bullseye-elektra2.jpg

bullseye-elektra3.jpg

bullseye-elektra4.jpg

bullseye-elektra5.jpg

I was born in 1974, so you do the math to know the age i had when this was out (i still don't know how my parents let me read/ have these...). I read the brazilian editions that were sold in Portugal, i think they were published one year or son after the US editions.

The art, the panels, the use of color, everything is almost perfect... one thing that i couldn't take my eyes out, was the flush of blood coming out of elektra's stomach, it felt like a forever ongoing sequence!

Elektra's face on Matt's doorstep and his expression (with that light on his face), no need for words, everything is written and cried out to the reader, even for a kid.

regards

Uncanny #173

UncannyXMen173.jpg

For many of the same reasons Pedro1974 above, the fight between the Silver Samurai & Wolverine was awesome, and also Rogue's near-sacrifice for a man that pretty much just said he hated her, as well as for Lady Mariko... just hits me stil to this day. Wolverine & The X-Men title were what launched my interest into Japanese culture.

-slym

Hey guys

Just wondering what stories/particular books most influenced you in both your collecting and everyday life. This doesn't mean your most valuable book or even the favorite book in your collection but the book/books you specifically remember sparking an interest in the medium.

My earliest comic book memories are readings 1980s copies of Mad magazine and reprints of issues 1-6 which I read over and over until the covers fell off.

These were my blueprint. I read them in one sitting when I was a kid.

I remember my friends couldn`t believe I could read them all in one sitting. :screwy:

That`s how much I love this stuff. :cloud9:

origins_of_marvel_comics.png

although not comics the MARVEL UNIVERSE CARDS were also something that helped build my love and appreciation of the hobby!! gosh those were cool!!

I enjoyed them too. Still have 3 complete sets collecting dust in the closet patiently waiting for someone to care again lol

I always liked spidey, it was an easy one to fall in love, but the one who really intruiged, astonished me and took me to other dimensions was... Adam Warlock by Starlin

The Strange tales run and the 9-15 were simply incredible to behold (and with it all the cosmic touch Starlin's had for ex: The Death of Captain Marvel, with the heroes gathered around the death bed of Cap M.).

StarlinStales178p18.jpg

Death_marvell.JPG

regards

Groo Pacific #1

DD #27 & TOS #57

Great to see another GROO in here.

Mine is Epic GROO issue 1. I was on 3rd grade and took the book to school and drew the cover over and over.

Also at a friends house and being introduced to TMNT! When I found a comic shop the first issue I bought was TMNT 11. That was the most recent issue at the time.

Likewise!!

This is copied and pasted from my Groo Pacific Registry set:

"I am HUGE Groo fan, especially of the PC run. This set holds a special place in my heart, since these books were the first comic books I ever truly sat and read to and through. I preceded to become enthralled and engulfed within each of their front and back covers, forever changing how I viewed and felt about the power of a comic or a book.

This is all due to the fact that my older Brother was into Groo and had the entire PC run and a bunch of the early Marvel books. He also had Spideys, GI Joes, Batman, X-Men and my Father's big run of TOSs. (which from what I gathered were in damnn good condition, VF+/NM, until my Brother got a hold of them!!)

But for some reason whether it was Sergio's awesome art or his off the wall humor (could have been the simple fact of me just liking a ninjaesque barbarian wielding samurai swords at everything and everyone) I don't know, but I just gravitated to Groo more at first.

Enough that the Pacific run were the first comics that I "borrowed" from my Brother to take to my room to read. And I did read them, front to back, in order, again and again and again and again!!

So when it is said and done, I sumise that it is Mr. Argones and his "Groo" I have to personally thank for being the "gateway book" to my full fledged comic addiction!!"

Oddly enough #4 on my list behind DD #27 & TOS #57 would be TMNT #1. I remember seeing for the first time when an neighbor kid two years older than me had it. I was TURTLE & COMIC CRAZY after looking through it!!

Amazing Spiderman #316 First comic I've ever read and Most Influential would definitely be Daredevil when I started collecting again in late 2012 along with Spiderman they do whats right at all costs despite the odds its very inspring to me movie wise would be Batman 1989 changed my life when i was a kid lol

I took the OP question too literal, I guess. I thought he meant what book influenced my life and what I became as a person.

Not what enticed me to collect, etc.

My bad.

For some here, what they collect is their life, so these may be more reconcilable than you think ;)

But yes, there is a tendency to turn threads asking more metaphysical questions about the role of comic books in our lives into another variation of "what is/was your favorite comic? "

Probably GL/GA. I wanted to be a superhero when I was 15. the only one that seemed possible was Green Arrow. I got a bow but it was way too hard.

A coverless copy of Silver Surfer #2.read it probably 50 times back in the early 1970's.Never did know where it came from.

Thor # 175,probably one of my favorite issues ever.IMO the height of Kirby's greatness.A few years later I picked back up with Thor at #190-193 and that was what pretty much hooked me for life.

Conan #5 was another classic I re-read many times.

Though not my first exposure to comic books, I'd have to say that the original Star Wars title was the first comic where having the complete run mattered to me.

I imagine this might be the case for many of us who were kids in the late 70s. Star Wars had a huge influence on our generation.

My answer is Marvel Star Wars 26, the issue that started my comic collection. I just realized, I've been a collector for 35 years!