• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The comic that has most influenced you?

63 posts in this topic

Uncanny #173

UncannyXMen173.jpg

For many of the same reasons Pedro1974 above, the fight between the Silver Samurai & Wolverine was awesome, and also Rogue's near-sacrifice for a man that pretty much just said he hated her, as well as for Lady Mariko... just hits me stil to this day. Wolverine & The X-Men title were what launched my interest into Japanese culture.

-slym

This one definitely sticks out for me. The only books I remember as vivid as early as that are FF #1-6 via the Pocketbooks. This one, the be exact...

FFPocketbook.jpg

I was already buying comics a few years before this, but this story about persecution (among other heavy themes) really shook me. I remember feeling quite a bit less naive about humanity that day. I remember getting this feeling again in Uncanny X-Men #141-142.

250px-X-Men_God_Loves_Man_Kills_cover.jpg

Uncanny #173

UncannyXMen173.jpg

For many of the same reasons Pedro1974 above, the fight between the Silver Samurai & Wolverine was awesome, and also Rogue's near-sacrifice for a man that pretty much just said he hated her, as well as for Lady Mariko... just hits me stil to this day. Wolverine & The X-Men title were what launched my interest into Japanese culture.

-slym

This one definitely sticks out for me. The only books I remember as vivid as early as that are FF #1-6 via the Pocketbooks. This one, the be exact...

FFPocketbook.jpg

I had those as well. I still remember my uncle seeing that book in my room and he thumbed through it. Then he said he used to have those issues. Naturally, my heart jumped only to get the classic response "his mom threw them out"...

:preach: I fondly remember reading Mystery In Space (Adam Strange) from the back seat of the family car while traveling through west Texas in the heat of summer. Occasionally I'd look-up from those thrilling adventures on Rann to see dust devils winding their way across the vast desert vista in the Permian Basin as we neared Midland/Odessa, reminding me of the cover of #84. For whatever reason, those childhood journeys to distant worlds left an indelible impression as vivid as our family vacations.

[font:Times New Roman]Google image...[/font]

Mystery-in-space_84.jpg

On long road trips it was a good idea to have a stack of comics. In addition to science fiction stories drawn by Murphy Anderson & Carmine Infantino I salivated over Marvel monster-of-the-month books such as Tales To Astonish illustrated by Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko and others, which I called IND comics due to the small indicia in the upper left-hand corner. As a kid, it didn't matter what IND meant, but those three letters served to identify the publisher prior to Marvel reestablishing their trademark for a new generation of comic fans. :cloud9:

Tales_to_Astonish_Vol_1_31.jpg

Well, if you wanted nostalgic influences, ...you got 'um! lol

I took the OP question too literal, I guess. I thought he meant what book influenced my life and what I became as a person.

Not what enticed me to collect, etc.

My bad.

I meant both i guess.

I find them hard to separate as comics are such a big part of my life.

I think mad not only made me interested in art but also in counter culture, irreverence and questioning why anything is the way it is. All traits that persist with me today.

As far as my comic collecting, mad influenced me because I could never get into most marvel of dc universe books. I found most of the stories simplistic and predictable and craved clever, novel or more mature stories. There are exceptions of course, Alan Moore's swamp thing, Miller Daredevil etc but by and large i found the continuing story lines inaccessible and boring. This desire for more mature story lines meant while I have always collected Amazing spider-Man I never much cared for the stories except a few stand alone arcs. I disliked the regular canon of marvel and DC so much i nearly stopped reading altogether and mostly collected SA marvel for the nostalgia factor. Until that is, I was introduced to UG comics, artist owned characters by people like Geof Darrow, Dave Sim, Jeff Smith and Sam Keith and later some of the more nuanced DC/Vertigo books by people like Jeph Loeb, Tim Sale, Moore, Ennis etc. This same desire is now feeding into my interest in the Bande dessinée school.

:preach: I fondly remember reading Mystery In Space (Adam Strange) from the back seat of the family car while traveling through west Texas in the heat of summer. Occasionally I'd look-up from those thrilling adventures on Rann to see dust devils winding their way across the vast desert vista in the Permian Basin as we neared Midland/Odessa, reminding me of the cover of #84. For whatever reason, those childhood journeys to distant worlds left an indelible impression as vivid as our family vacations.

Mystery-in-space_84.jpg

On long road trips it was a good idea to have a stack of comics. In addition to science fiction stories drawn by Murphy Anderson & Carmine Infantino I salivated over Marvel monster-of-the-month books such as Tales To Astonish illustrated by Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko and others, which I called IND comics due to the small indicia in the upper left-hand corner. As a kid, it didn't matter what IND meant, but those three letters served to identify the publisher prior to Marvel reestablishing their trademark for a new generation of comic fans. :cloud9:

Tales_to_Astonish_Vol_1_31.jpg

Well, if you wanted nostalgic influences, ...you got 'um! lol

Great post! Thanks for sharing.

The book that has influenced me to think the medium is still alive and really shock and amaze/entertain me again would have to be "Old Man Logan"Just an awesome story all around waiting for the sequel,Millar! :taptaptap:

Secret Wars #8

A guy my parent's bowled with saw that I had a bunch of Marvel trading cards and he thought they were really cool and so he wanted to trade me some comics for some of them. He gave me the whole Secret Wars run, X-Terminators 1, Guide to the Marvel Universe, Alpha Flight #41 and a few early Avengers reprints. He specifically pointed out the Secret Wars #8 was special because of the black costume. So of course I treated that thing like the holy grail. Still in great condition (I actually just sent it to CGC last week!)

I guess I have him to thank for getting into to the hobby.

I also remember being in awe of his Incredible Hulk 181 which was in NM condition. Too bad I haven't run into that guy in about 15 years to tell him how cool that was of him to do and I plan on doing the same for someone.

Amazing Spiderman #33. First read the story in Marvel Tales #172. It's a story that has meant a lot to me over the years, as a child, teenager, twenty something, and as a middle aged guy. Read it while recovering from cancer on a couple of occasions.

Great story, with Steve Ditko churning out a masterpiece.

Poetry in motion.

I was 10yrs old when Infinity Gauntlet first came out - pretty much sealed the deal that I'll be a comic book fan.

I still have my Infinity Gauntlet , War, and Crusade to this day with a few Silver Surfer tie-ins

Had to stop in the mid-90's as the quality of stories went downhill. I was not surprised when I heard that Marvel went bankrupt back in '96

I think for a lot of kids growing up in the 50s and 60s Mad Magazine was a huge influence. It taught us to question what we were being told by the larger culture ( particularly in advertising) and that irreverence towards authority was a good thing.

While there are other comics, characters and creators that have helped to direct my interests in the medium over the years, I don't think anything else had as much influence, not just on my attitudes towards the world, but also my comic tastes as Mad contributed to an interest in EC and by extension pre-code crime and horror, as well as underground comics and their descendents.

Thanks for the insight :) Being born in the early 90's I've never understood why Mad was so well liked by some.

Star Wars #6 - How my 7 year old self got to constantly re-live the coolest space battle ever!! My kids don't understand that we couldn't just watch Star Wars when ever we wanted to back then. We had comics and action figures to recreate it instead!

Ghost Rider #26 - Created a life long GR fan and drove that same 7 year old nuts wondering where Johnny was until #53 which was the next issue I had. First goal when I became a collector was to finish the entire run.

Strange Tales #99 - A pretty lady Spidey knew actually DIED??! And that cool look Goblin guy actually DIED too??! Drove me to make ASM #121,122 some of my first "major" purchases once I became a collector six or so years later.

Various House of Mystery/Ghosts/House of Secrets/Unexpected issues somewhere between '78 and '80. Made me have a love for DC horror books.

bullseye-elektra4.jpg

bullseye-elektra5.jpg

I always loved the part where Bullseye puts on his coat while Elketra stumbles out and then just meanders behind her. They are static panels, but you can almost see it moving...