• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your Favorite Art,Drawing or story by Rob Liefeld?
1 1

890 posts in this topic

I wish mods would change the rules to NO POLITICS OR ROB LIEFELD on the boards.

;)

The real problem with Liefeld is simple: he never learned the rules in the first place. You can't break the rules if you don't even know what they are. And hiding technical inability behind a style doesn't change that.

Louise Simonson, the writer of New Mutants during most of Liefeld's run, said much the same thing:

(I'm paraphrasing) "Rob wasn't interested in telling a story. He was only interested in drawing big splash pages that he could sell."

One does not need to be a working artist to be able to understand the principles of art, and understand when those principles are violated...or a whole lot of editors, past and present, wouldn't have ever been able to do their job.

The fact that Liefeld has made some incredibly classless and unethical moves during his career doesn't mean his art is technically poor, no. The fact that his art is technically poor does that. But his other life choices certainly don't help.

http://www.peterdavid.net/2010/08/20/giving-credit-where-credit-is-due/

And I own multiple hundreds of copies of New Mutants #85-100. :insane:

I personally like Liefelds art. I think he definitely has his own style. I think it's possible that people assume that he cannot draw anatomically correct, instead of assuming that he draws like that on purpose, because that's his style, and that's how he likes to draw. In other words, maybe the long legs, lack of detailed feet, and disproportional body parts are intentional, not because he's incapable of drawing otherwise, but because that's how he likes to draw his characters. I could be wrong about that, but just because someone chooses not to do something, doesn't mean they are incapable of doing it. Some of my favorite guitarists choose not to play difficult solos in their songs, even though they can shred like Yngwie Malmsteen.

Call it odd, call it bad art, call it whatever. I'm not an artist, so I cannot accurately judge Liefeld's work from an artist perspective (and maybe that why I like his art), but I am comic book fan, and I can say that I find his art to be entertaining. I also don't need to take into consideration the type of person someone is, or the politics attached to that person to admire their work. There's a lot of musicians, actors, and other entertainers who I may not completely respect on a personal level, but that shouldn't necessarily get in the way of me appreciating their artistic accomplishments, though I can understand why people would feel turned off by Liefeld's work If he treated them rudely.

All in all, Liefeld is an easy target, and people wont hesitate to take advantage of the bashing opportunity when it arises. Ironically, there are some mainstream artists who I personally think are disgustingly awful (much worse than Liefeld), yet they will never get the amount of dirt Liefeld does.

I'm going to post attach this pic again in case It was missed. I actually think this is my favorite drawing of Deadpool.

Deadpool_Vol_2_1_Liefeld_Variant_zps74a303e0.jpg

I find it interesting that your favorite Deadpool drawing by Liefeld looks the least Liefeld of anything I've seen him do. It's fairly obvious ( to me anyway ) that whoever "painted" the finished piece, fixed a lot of things along the way.

there is definitely some Liefeld behind the paint somewhere, you can see the inability to grasp how weaponry is held

It's a good explanation of why he likes it.

Indeed. In other words, the guy was a kid, and much like my Poseidon Adventure story, has mythologized the work in his head, because of what it represents to his psyche. Reality is impervious to childhood memory.

:eek:

I personally like Liefelds art. I think he definitely has his own style. I think it's possible that people assume that he cannot draw anatomically correct, instead of assuming that he draws like that on purpose, because that's his style, and that's how he likes to draw. In other words, maybe the long legs, lack of detailed feet, and disproportional body parts are intentional, not because he's incapable of drawing otherwise, but because that's how he likes to draw his characters. I could be wrong about that, but just because someone chooses not to do something, doesn't mean they are incapable of doing it. Some of my favorite guitarists choose not to play difficult solos in their songs, even though they can shred like Yngwie Malmsteen.

Call it odd, call it bad art, call it whatever. I'm not an artist, so I cannot accurately judge Liefeld's work from an artist perspective (and maybe that why I like his art), but I am comic book fan, and I can say that I find his art to be entertaining. I also don't need to take into consideration the type of person someone is, or the politics attached to that person to admire their work. There's a lot of musicians, actors, and other entertainers who I may not completely respect on a personal level, but that shouldn't necessarily get in the way of me appreciating their artistic accomplishments, though I can understand why people would feel turned off by Liefeld's work If he treated them rudely.

All in all, Liefeld is an easy target, and people wont hesitate to take advantage of the bashing opportunity when it arises. Ironically, there are some mainstream artists who I personally think are disgustingly awful (much worse than Liefeld), yet they will never get the amount of dirt Liefeld does.

I'm going to post attach this pic again in case It was missed. I actually think this is my favorite drawing of Deadpool.

Deadpool_Vol_2_1_Liefeld_Variant_zps74a303e0.jpg

I find it interesting that your favorite Deadpool drawing by Liefeld looks the least Liefeld of anything I've seen him do. It's fairly obvious ( to me anyway ) that whoever "painted" the finished piece, fixed a lot of things along the way.

there is definitely some Liefeld behind the paint somewhere, you can see the inability to grasp how weaponry is held

Look at the muzzle flashes, too. The only way to realistically get an effect like that is to fire four firearms at the same time.

Indeed. In other words, the guy was a kid, and much like my Poseidon Adventure story, has mythologized the work in his head, because of what it represents to his psyche. Reality is impervious to childhood memory.

I enjoy the work for what it was, and as with most comics, nostalgia plays a large part.

One of us has attempted to clearly explain himself repeatedly, offering examples and explanation, as well as admitting to exaggeration and that much of Liefeld's later art isn't very good..

The other of us continues to reuse the word "strawman"(hotkey?) and sling insults, while clarifying his argument as "gooble gobble gooble gobble".

I'm starting to feel like I'm having a discussion with a toddler.

OK, wait, I'll admit in advance that yes, I am slinging my share of insults.

But seriously. Lamp fetish?

That's sort of deserving of some ribbing don't you think?

213.jpg

Strawman argument.

It's becoming pretty clear that you got a "Word of the Day" desk calendar and don't know how to turn the page.

I spilled coffee on it, and now it's all one big gelatinous mess, with October 19th, 2008 stuck on top.

But thanks for telling everyone.

:cry:

woah!this thread has become crazy lol!But hey I got another question how much does a CGC SS Rob Liefeld signature go for?GPA? hmlol

It probably depends on the book and the grade. hm

I enjoy the work for what it was, and as with most comics, nostalgia plays a large part.

One of us has attempted to clearly explain himself repeatedly, offering examples and explanation, as well as admitting to exaggeration and that much of Liefeld's later art isn't very good..

The other of us continues to reuse the word "strawman"(hotkey?) and sling insults, while clarifying his argument as "gooble gobble gooble gobble".

You are one highly, highly entertaining poster.

:popcorn:

woah!this thread has become crazy lol!But hey I got another question how much does a CGC SS Rob Liefeld signature go for?GPA? hmlol

You people, with your insistence on details, always so critical! I bet you've never even SEEN a Rob Liefeld drawing!

:whistle:

Ok a 9.8 and above lol but I mean does his signature carry a high price tag?would that put to rest the hate and disdain for him?or does all hate and attention make his signature pricey/hot commodity? hm

I think the most interesting part about this whole thing is that this RF character has been a member of these boards for 5 years....and HALF of his posts are in this very thread, defending Rob Liefeld.

Talk about being dedicated to the bit!

:whee:

I think the most interesting part about this whole thing is that this RF character has been a member of these boards for 5 years....and HALF of his posts are in this very thread, defending Rob Liefeld.

hm waitaminute is RF really Rob Liefeld in disguise??? :o

hm waitaminute is RF really Rob Liefeld in disguise??? :o

Hahaha, no, no, just someone who really appreciates his prime art:)

I'm not a big forum guy and rarely see topics I want to contribute to. It's really only McFarlane, Liefeld, and Portacio I'd chime in on. Maybe Don Rosa, Seth Fisher, or Rick Leonardi if they had a thread.

But Liefeld is really the only one who ever gets treated this badly and it seems that few stand up for him.

^I can respect that RF,and truth be told I was a fan of Liefelds stuff in the 90's not so much these days lol but mcfarlane,Lee now their just awesome imo still (thumbs u also way to stand up for what you like regardless of the odds I can respect that also

Edited by mob_medina7

But Liefeld is really the only one who ever gets treated this badly and it seems that few stand up for him.

lol

Wow. After everything posted in this thread, you still don't seem to comprehend why Rob Liefeld "gets treated badly"? I love it.

I think you just might be Rob Liefeld.

lol

Wow. After everything posted in this thread, you still don't seem to comprehend why Rob Liefeld "gets treated badly"? I love it.

I think you just might be Rob Liefeld.

There is none so blind as he who will not see.