• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your Favorite Art,Drawing or story by Rob Liefeld?
1 1

890 posts in this topic

half way through making that i bet he was thinking

"this isn't that funny"

but decided he spent way too much time and effort to go back and start over

just like Liefeld does...ironic

roundearth.jpg

Remember, folks....people only think the world is round because their friends do.....

:popcorn:

I'm curious-if Liefeld is really good and everyone says he's bad just cause everyone else says it-how does something like that happen? Did someone hire a PR firm to start bashing Liefeld and then the numbers steadily increased? Like, could you do that to Neal Adams?

You can take the worst artist imaginable and some people will like him and argue for his greatness. John Lennon drew scribbles that were only valuable because he was famous. If he was just some dude, they would be scribbles, like anyone can make. But you'll find people who argue for his greatness.

I'll throw this out there again because I don't believe Mr Ferret answered it. If he did, then I obviously missed his reply

I was simply pointing out(again and again and again) that the vast majority of artists make the same mistakes(bad feet), cut the same corners(minimal backgrounds), and deliver work that isn't at a professional level(bad perspective, bad deadlines, etc).

If that is true, then why does Liefeld get crapped on so consistently while others who make the same mistakes, do not.

No one makes the same mistakes as Liefeld but I understand your point

"this isn't that funny"

It took about 2 minutes to do, which seemed more worthwhile than reading most of these comical posts:)

Remember, folks....people only think the world is round because their friends do.....

:popcorn:

OK, you do realize that that was the exact position of the entire planet until Magellan circumnavigated the globe, right?

Edited by RabidFerret

I'll throw this out there again because I don't believe Mr Ferret answered it. If he did, then I obviously missed his reply

I was simply pointing out(again and again and again) that the vast majority of artists make the same mistakes(bad feet), cut the same corners(minimal backgrounds), and deliver work that isn't at a professional level(bad perspective, bad deadlines, etc).

If that is true, then why does Liefeld get crapped on so consistently while others who make the same mistakes, do not.

I think it's pretty clear Liefeld is the poster boy for bad art, and at this point it's almost indoctrinated into anyone coming into the hobby, not much different from how Ed Wood is the poster boy for bad movies.

I would imagine many people on this thread have sent the 40 Worst Drawings link to plenty of people, and if a family/friend came into the hobby and the Liefeld topic came up I really doubt you'd honestly suggest "Why not look at his work objectively first before I give you my thoughts", as opposed to immediately mocking and blasting him.

At this point it's a snowball of pop culture that has gone well beyond people's actual objective thoughts.

I pretty much agree in its entirety with Rabid Ferret here – the reason I always disliked Liefeld are objective, they have always strived to be, but it is nonetheless a common practice, today, to state without knowing.

Just to tell, when I purchased my Fantastic Four original art page, and when I went visiting Jack Kirby, most people did not care about him to the point he deserved: the early 1990s were his lowest in popularity, and Liefeld was at the peak.

It took a lot to realize most of what Image Comics was doing had no consistency, and I hope it will take less to realize what Marvel is doing now is smoke in the eyes.

I think it's pretty clear Liefeld is the poster boy for bad art, and at this point it's almost indoctrinated into anyone coming into the hobby, not much different from how Ed Wood is the poster boy for bad movies.

I would imagine many people on this thread have sent the 40 Worst Drawings link to plenty of people, and if a family/friend came into the hobby and the Liefeld topic came up I really doubt you'd honestly suggest "Why not look at his work objectively first before I give you my thoughts", as opposed to immediately mocking and blasting him.

At this point it's a snowball of pop culture that has gone well beyond people's actual objective thoughts.

Liefeld had bad breath, too. Smelled like the back-end of a dragon.

-slym ( /sarcasm)

Spend alot of time around the backend of dragons (or any animal for that matter) do you?

lol

"this isn't that funny"

It took about 2 minutes to do, which seemed more worthwhile than reading most of these comical posts:)

What a coincidence - that's the same amount of time Liefeld put into every piece on display in this thread. ;)

i'm confused...so you know he's a bad artist?

some things in art are subjective so i understand you liking some aspects of his work, however there are things that cannot be excused.

i'm fine with artists sometimes making errors or cutting corners, Liefeld has made it his way though, re-using the same poses over and over to the point that you can tell he's just traced them, copying lay-outs and doing really poor compositions.

i grew up in the 90's and was completely aware that Liefeld was a poor artist, there was no bandwagon, it's too easy to see the errors in his work and if he was trying to break into the industry now there is no chance he'd get a job

In rare instances when his artwork comes up in comic-related conversation, I am quick to point out many things aside from his style of art. I think there are lots and lots of people here who look at many forms of art objectively - but in the case of Liefeld, his problems and reputation continue to follow him because he refuses to change, expand or improve on anything remotely connected to his career - as evidenced multiple times in this thread.

Somewhere Rob Liefeld is sitting on a hideously deformed throne made of money saying...

burns-excellent_zps0f15b80e.gif

Name Change!

i'm confused...so you know he's a bad artist?

I agree with much of what's said here - he is lazy, he does steal poses, he does miss deadlines, and he's been known to be a jerk at times, steal artists from other studios, etc. And I'm personally not a fan of his current work.

The complaints about anatomy, feet, and long legs are stylistic choices he makes and I forgive those the same way I don't criticize Kirby or Mignola or Lee for their choices.

BUT, what I am saying is that I loved his prime work from the early 90s and think people should at least give him his due for the quality work at his peak. His work circa X-Force #1 was unlike anything else in comics and was popular enough to establish a clone army trying to mimic his success.

The attitude that he was horrible at every moment of his life, never had any talent, that he somehow magically coasted by on luck, and that millions of people were duped in the early 90s is downright silly.

Give the man credit for the quality work.

Most refuse to see any difference.