• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your Favorite Art,Drawing or story by Rob Liefeld?
1 1

890 posts in this topic

xf1-p6-dark.jpg

Or, for the sake of objective analysis.

Cover the word balloons. Now tell me what's happening.

YOU CAN'T, because the page consists of nothing but POSES.

Is it the opening number to a Broadway musical? Is it a post-Apocalyptic nightmare, where humanity has been replaced by garish, overdressed Pouch-People? Is it an avant-garde fashion show in Milan?

Storytelling??

Give it UP already.

:facepalm:

+1000

That probably IS Liefeld at his best.

I'm starting to get anxiety looking at this crud from the 90's....

I would disagree. The one thing that I think he improved on was his line work. He actually started using more of them and thus covered up more of the mistakes :)

When I was a kid, I remember quite clearly picking up this issue of What If

affzac.jpg

What's hilarious about this cover, is that if there were any question as to whether Wolverine's head coming out of his left shoulder was an illusion of perspective, Liefeld actually draws the neck hole of his shirt off center from his chest, making it look deliberate.

While the extra buckles and arm bandolier are typical Liefeld, I'm impressed that Wolverine's bicep isn't twice the size of his head, and that his barely larger than his forearm. This must be one of those "better" pieces I keep reading about.

Yeesh. I hated that cover then for all the reasons I hate it now. work transcends time and space.

Take your hand and cover his eyebrow and up. Not too horrid.

Now cover everything from the eyes Down.

His eyebrows and hair look like they're from a different picture.

When I first saw Liefeld it was in the New Mutants.

I started reading the New Mutants (and related newer mutant titles) when I was 17 like RMA, and loved it because of Alan Davis, Bret Blevins, Jon Bogdanove et al.

When I saw Liefeld I just said: they really hate this title, this is probably going to close. I also wondered if all of a sudden Louise Simonson was out of her mind but no… she wasn’t at all, and I had a clearer picture of what happened just recently.

Let’s not blame just Liefeld, McFarlane, Lee, Valentino et al. – let’s blame a bit Marvel as well, OK?

I knew nothing about Liefeld til someone used him as a bad example so I google imaged his name and immediately formed my own opinions as tears rolled down my cheeks laughing. Then I started reading websites devoted to him but my initial assessment was solely my own.

huge image so i wont use IMG tags but see the difference in storytelling

http://ifanboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/dc871_25_26_layouts_low.jpg

Not everyone is able to evaluate drawing and storitelling skills — without an education it is often difficult.

For example, Don Heck, which is more than often despised, could teach how to draw and narrate to a good 80% of today's "artists".

Here’s some Crimson Dynamo from ToS #46, comrade! :D

B17ax8Lh.jpg

xf1-p6-dark.jpg

Or, for the sake of objective analysis.

Cover the word balloons. Now tell me what's happening.

YOU CAN'T, because the page consists of nothing but POSES.

Is it the opening number to a Broadway musical? Is it a post-Apocalyptic nightmare, where humanity has been replaced by garish, overdressed Pouch-People? Is it an avant-garde fashion show in Milan?

Storytelling??

Give it UP already.

:facepalm:

+1000

That probably IS Liefeld at his best.

I'm starting to get anxiety looking at this crud from the 90's....

I would disagree. The one thing that I think he improved on was his line work. He actually started using more of them and thus covered up more of the mistakes :)

'The detail in Rob Liefeld's art is incredible', it used to be said. That was a way a number of artists were promoted, twenty-odd years ago, above storytelling ability.

Ok Have you guys heard this one Rob Liefeld,Don Heck and Humberto Ramos walk into a bar and... lol

None of the tables have feet!

i 100% believe that this is what happened though, i have yet to see anybody show any examples of his "quality" work

So what determines "quality" work? Your opinion? Perfect accuracy to human anatomy? I flip through much of his work in X-Force #1 and think it's absolutely amazing. It's bold inking, it's enjoyable storytelling, it's fun action, great pacing...but no matter how clearly I point out the good or quality things, people will invariably find things to nitpick no matter what.

Here's my favorite page of the book.

xf1-p6-dark.jpg

It's a great action page, great focus on the main characters, the inking is great, it moves the story forward. But plenty of people here will likely rip it apart for the sake of ripping it apart.

Great inking? Every single line on this page is the same thickness. lol

I remember a couple of years ago at one of the Diamond Distribution seminars in Chicago, the DC Rep told us (a room full of comic retailers) that Rob Liefeld would be taking over a few books (I believe it was Hawkman or Hawk and Dove or whatever)

There was a collective groan of disapproval throughout the room and the DC rep started to look a bit uncomfortable.

Someone in the room stood up and straight asked, "Why do you guys keep hiring him?"

The DC Rep said, "Here's the thing... no one was interested in these books, and Rob is a guy who is always full of ideas and enthusiasm.. and so we wanted to give him a shot at this."

Immediately my mind went to: Here we have this silly American Comic Book industry, dominated by Superheroes for the last 60 years, regurgitating the same old stories, having to turn to someone like Liefeld, who can't draw,

because he's one of the few people enthusiastically interested in telling these same old stories that his aging fan base may pick up out of some perverted nostalgia.

Sad.

Just because Jim Lee can draw a comic and make it sell based upon his name alone, doesn't mean he can run a Comic Book Company. Todd McFarlane's Image (and let's face it, he's the only one who really stuck it out) only succeeded because of toys and then a new regime that brought in the Walking Dead and a better way to do comics.

Is it any wonder the stagnation of this hobby?

i 100% believe that this is what happened though, i have yet to see anybody show any examples of his "quality" work

So what determines "quality" work? Your opinion? Perfect accuracy to human anatomy? I flip through much of his work in X-Force #1 and think it's absolutely amazing. It's bold inking, it's enjoyable storytelling, it's fun action, great pacing...but no matter how clearly I point out the good or quality things, people will invariably find things to nitpick no matter what.

xf1-p6-dark.jpg

It's a great action page, great focus on the main characters, the inking is great, it moves the story forward. But plenty of people here will likely rip it apart for the sake of ripping it apart.

Plus there's no black spotting.

Awful. I'm just a fan artist but I know how to spot blacks.

xf1-p6-dark.jpg

I'm confused, as I don't know any of these characters, but is Cable supposed to be the girth-iest human being on the planet?

Immediately my mind went to: Here we have this silly American Comic Book industry, dominated by Superheroes for the last 60 years, regurgitating the same old stories, having to turn to someone like Liefeld, who can't draw,

because he's one of the few people enthusiastically interested in telling these same old stories that his aging fan base may pick up out of some perverted nostalgia.

Sad.

Just because Jim Lee can draw a comic and make it sell based upon his name alone, doesn't mean he can run a Comic Book Company. Todd McFarlane's Image (and let's face it, he's the only one who really stuck it out) only succeeded because of toys and then a new regime that brought in the Walking Dead and a better way to do comics.

Is it any wonder the stagnation of this hobby?

and I'll never look at comics the same way again.. :sorry: Edited by mob_medina7

xf1-p6-dark.jpg

I'm confused, as I don't know any of these characters, but is Cable supposed to be the girth-iest human being on the planet?

He makes Ben Grimm look like Paris Hilton

xf1-p6-dark.jpg

You know what they say about a girthy man.

More room for pouches.

xf1-p6-dark.jpg

But there are so many of them!

But on a topic with SUCH a polarizing figure...

Rob Liefeld = "Polarizing"

That honestly never crossed my mind.

...there are certainly plenty who just want to jump into the mob and join in, or whose comments are the formulaic silliness like "he can't draw feet".

Yeah, I'll give you that. It's like when people start banging their head a la Wayne's World when the guitar kicks in during Bohemian Rhapsody. But that doesn't mean they do it just because they think they're supposed to. Maybe they like it.

As I said, maybe people just really like to bash Liefeld's work in forums because they feel his work is just-that-bad.

I do. :shrug: To the core of my being, I truly and honestly feel that Robert Liefeld is a bad comic book artist. I think his comic art sucks.

He's taken credit for art without giving credit to the inspiration, and, it's said, other underhanded practices. I think Rob Liefeld sucks.

And FWIW, I think my first post in this thread was in reference to the Cable drawing where he's holding the child.

If he takes his time with a drawing, they don't look half bad.

The problem is. I rarely see anything that looks like he took his time with it. The only other one I can think of was the convention sketch (I think) of Supergirl (again, I think). It wasn't that bad, which would really be ironic if he actually drew it at the convention (If that's where it was).