• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your Favorite Art,Drawing or story by Rob Liefeld?
1 1

890 posts in this topic

Great inking? Every single line on this page is the same thickness. lol

The definition of great inking is not simply that there is differing line weight.

Look at Winsor McCay or Herge or the majority of strip artists. If they have more than 2 line weights I'd be amazed.

And let me ask - have you ever inked? It's really not that easy. You can't go slow. You need to move fast to give it life. You really need to sling it to get the sweeping lines and energy. This art has that. His current stuff does not; its very flat. Compare the two and you should be able to see what I mean.

You do make a point here with McCay, and even Mobius to an extent - but they are masters at using the same line quality but within different spacing to suggest depth and distance. I would not consider Liefeld's work to be in the same school of inking, and while he does get some sweeping lines in his work, his short strokes is what makes his style 'his'.

His work is "chicken scratchy" like McFarlane's work - much of the fluidity that you talk about with inking is lost in that style, because you cut short the motion to make long, flowing lines. I won't place the entire blame of this style on Liefeld, but it's very prevalent in 90's artists. It was part of that hyper-detailed style that took off during that era. The only person who I think mastered this technique that comes to mind is Art Adams.

:applause:

12jZUzL.jpg

btPoOr9.jpg

That despite all of that he likes him.

Yes, exactly.

It's art.

You shouldn't need to defend it against someone else's idea of what they care about.

He had a unique style and told enjoyable stories. I'm not sure why it needs to be dissected as if buried somewhere in there is some higher meaning.

I believe 100% that the purpose of a comic book is to entertain the reader. That's the goal. I happily spent my $2 and my 15 minutes and felt I got my money's worth and walked away entertained.

I have spent the same time and money on many other comics that were executed closer to many of the standards demanded on this thread, and found them sorely wanting. There's more to crafting a good comic than following a specific set of rules.

hm I am starting to think that perhaps Rabid Ferret IS Rob Liefeld!

:o

I will admit that I liked his work when I was a kid. He still had a pretty long line to see him at WonderCon a few weeks back.

I'm thinking he's sitting on a load of Liefeld OA hm

I've posted 2 different pages I own, so yeah, I quite enjoy his OA.

If anyone's selling I'm certainly buying:)

Based on this thread, it sounds like anyone stuck with any would love to unload it. Just send me a PM:)

Based on this thread, it sounds like anyone stuck with any would love to unload it. Just send me a PM:)

Boom

I called it!Its Leifeld man! :o RF is Liefeld!! :cry:

Rabid, Can you draw me a Black Cat wearing like 50 pouches but nothing else. Oh, and don't show her feet please. Thanks! :)

I called it!Its Leifeld man! :o RF is Liefeld!! :cry:

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!

hartman.jpg

I would be more shocked to see someone defending Coletta than Liefeld on these boards....the best defense would be his work on Kirby's Thor.

Yeah, I've actually gained some level of appreciation for it over the years, based on people's defense of it...

You do make a point here with McCay, and even Mobius to an extent - but they are masters at using the same line quality but within different spacing to suggest depth and distance. I would not consider Liefeld's work to be in the same school of inking, and while he does get some sweeping lines in his work, his short strokes is what makes his style 'his'.

His work is "chicken scratchy" like McFarlane's work - much of the fluidity that you talk about with inking is lost in that style, because you cut short the motion to make long, flowing lines. I won't place the entire blame of this style on Liefeld, but it's very prevalent in 90's artists. It was part of that hyper-detailed style that took off during that era. The only person who I think mastered this technique that comes to mind is Art Adams.

:applause:

12jZUzL.jpg

btPoOr9.jpg

Art Adams has done some amazing work.

But I don't hear many people whining about his long legs and questionable anatomy:)

marvel-x-men-longshot-hard-cover-1.jpg

And he sure does a lot of clenched fists, eh?

Rabid, Can you draw me a Black Cat wearing like 50 pouches but nothing else. Oh, and don't show her feet please. Thanks! :)
yes this is a great way to find out if Rabid is indeed liefeld or not! hm:applause:

Boom

Yes! Boom Boom art is welcome!

Like this super sexy piece! I know you'll all love it. Now THAT is the female form the way it's meant to be seen!!

xf99pg20.jpg

Art Adams has done some amazing work.

But I don't hear many people whining about his long legs and questionable anatomy:)

marvel-x-men-longshot-hard-cover-1.jpg

And he sure does a lot of clenched fists, eh?

He evolved past that. It was one of his first regular jobs.