• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your Favorite Art,Drawing or story by Rob Liefeld?
1 1

890 posts in this topic

If you are talking about great comic book artists.

look at what john Byrne did with book one of the many deaths of batman.

artist told the story with Gordon at the end of the book saying only 2 words, get out.

There is a Gi-Joe issue where the artist drew the book with no dialogue

Not sure the issue as I have never seen it only heard about it.

That is an artist who is very creative in telling a story with just visuals.

Can Rob or any other artist do this ?

And has any other artist done this type of story telling ?

If you are talking about great comic book artists.

look at what john Byrne did with book one of the many deaths of batman.

artist told the story with Gordon at the end of the book saying only 2 words, get out.

There is a Gi-Joe issue where the artist drew the book with no dialogue

Not sure the issue as I have never seen it only heard about it.

That is an artist who is very creative in telling a story with just visuals.

Can Rob or any other artist do this ?

And has any other artist done this type of story telling ?

A few other artists have done it, but it's very difficult, because it requires a mastery of storytelling to pull it off.

Batman #433 is the issue you're referring to, and it is Byrne and Aparo at their absolute best in terms of their craft. I love this book, and can never own too many copies of it.

The other is GI Joe #21, and again, Larry Hama and Steve Leialoha....also storytelling masters.

Liefeld can't do this, and never could. McFarlane would have a hard time pulling it off.

^Frank miller has done a great job at this a number of times

Yes, "Sin City: Silent Night" was one of them. Miller is probably, along with Eisner, the single greatest storyteller in the entire history of comics.

The man simply knows how to make the art tell the story. There's almost nothing he has drawn that you can't cover the dialogue and still know pretty much what's going on.

Miller is probably, along with Eisner, the single greatest storyteller in the entire history of comics.

The man simply knows how to make the art tell the story. There's almost nothing he has drawn that you can't cover the dialogue and still know pretty much what's going on.

I'd be inclined to agree with that, at least with all the Miller stuff that I am familiar with.

Wow. After everything posted in this thread, you still don't seem to comprehend why Rob Liefeld "gets treated badly"? I love it.

I think you just might be Rob Liefeld.

I fully comprehend why, I just don't agree with it. And again - for his prime stuff. Knock the current stuff all you want, but when he was at his peak it was great.

And a mob that wants to rip apart someone's art can always do it no matter who the artist. Liefeld may simply be an easier target than most:)

Yes, "Sin City: Silent Night" was one of them. Miller is probably, along with Eisner, the single greatest storyteller in the entire history of comics.

Eisner was pretty darn amazing at his storytelling.

Eric Powell did a Goon issue with only pictures for dialogue. That was pretty cool too.

Wow. After everything posted in this thread, you still don't seem to comprehend why Rob Liefeld "gets treated badly"? I love it.

I fully comprehend why, I just don't agree with it. And again - for his prime stuff. Knock the current stuff all you want, but when he was at his peak it was great.

And a mob that wants to rip apart someone's art can always do it no matter who the artist. Liefeld may simply be an easier target than most:)

Well, there is definitely a division between people who separate his professional reputation from his professional work, and those who focus only on the art.

Since we're speaking of just art: I was never a Liefeld fan as far back as when I had my shop in the mid 90s. I remember many of the same arguments that we're reading here, but I didn't really care as much either way back then about it. I can't add anything that other people haven't already said so far.

In retrospect, people had the same comments towards Dan Panosian's work (who was Marvel's Liefled clone when he left).

Well, there is definitely a division between people who separate his professional reputation from his professional work, and those who focus only on the art.

Since we're speaking of just art: I was never a Liefeld fan as far back as when I had my shop in the mid 90s. I remember many of the same arguments that we're reading here, but I didn't really care as much either way back then about it. I can't add anything that other people haven't already said so far.

In retrospect, people had the same comments towards Dan Panosian's work (who was Marvel's Liefled clone when he left).

People were having these arguments about Liefeld's artwork in the mid 90's? I was only 10 in '93, so I was too young to be aware of the comic book politics back then.

Capullo might be the best example of the reverse Liefeld. He sort of aped Liefeld for a while, aped McFarlane for a while, and is now pretty darn well respected for his current work, which has hints of a few people but is solid on it's own.

Very much the reverse career trajectory from Liefeld.

People were having these arguments about Liefeld's artwork in the mid 90's? I was only 10 in '93, so I was too young to be aware of the comic book politics back then.

Yeah - I worked at and owned a comic shop from 1992-1996, and there was always discussion about the quality of his work. He sold a lot of books, so I didn't complain about people putting them into their pull orders - but yeah, this topic goes way back.

His constant presence in Wizard was a HUGE driving force to his sales. I mean, those guys at Wizard LOVED him. Always in the issue somewhere, it seemed. And I'd stress 'initial' sales, because I don't recall too much demand in his back issues (other than NM87 at the time).

I don't think anyone WAS having these arguments.

hm

It is pretty well universally understood that Liefeld was and is a technical illiterate, and hid his lack of ability by drawing lots of small lines to distract the eye and make the work seem more "intense."

None of the above is an "insult." It is an honest and candid evaluation of the work. It is shoddy, at best. It will not, and cannot, hold up to standard artistic practice. It fails, in many different ways (perspective, anatomy, linework, framing, clarity, etc etc etc.)

If one enjoys it, more power to them. I certainly do, up to New Mutants #100. Lots of people enjoy Twinkies. That does not make them of the same quality as a prime filet mignon, and it certainly doesn't mean that "well, then, you must hate Twinkies!!" if you recognize that they are the nutritional equivalent of Styrofoam.

PS. Dan Panosian was even worse. How that guy got work, I will never know.

They should all thank Todd McFarlane every day of their working lives.

You're right. Everyone was pretty much on the same page with the opinion of his work - so no arguments. ;)

I hear this way too much when comics are brought up in the 90's or in general period " Rob Liefeld destroyed The industry" "He Can't draw feet,faces,remember that cap picture,Pouches etc,etc."well I do however agree(very much)that its true but its way too easy to add to this played out dead horse of a subject.However,I do have a a rather interesting question What is your Favorite Art,Drawing or story by Rob Liefeld?This should be Interesting Can't wait to see what you guys have to say...

Easy… the earlier work. It was actually better, maybe because of the inkers.

For example, the Hawk & Dove mini-series, or his work inked by McFarlane, as it has been said. I quite like the early New Mutants covers – not the later ones… :sick:

You're right. Everyone was pretty much on the same page with the opinion of his work - so no arguments. ;)

That's what I meant to say. ;)

I remember fans of his work agreeing that it wasn't good, they just 'liked it'. (shrug)

Keep in mind that McFarlane, although better, lacks greatly in terms of anatomy et al. – he always compensated with the composition, but many things, as much "pleasing" they may look, they are still embarassing (including many Peter and MJ faces, honestly).

The "Spider-Man" series is really bad, at least the first issues. Probably on Spawn got better and better, but I did not follow him afterwards.

Keep in mind that McFarlane, although better, lacks greatly in terms of anatomy et al. he always compensated with the composition, but many things, as much "pleasing" they may look, they are still embarassing (including many Peter and MJ faces, honestly).

The "Spider-Man" series is really bad, at least the first issues. Probably on Spawn got better and better, but I did not follow him afterwards.

Yes, Todd was definitely phoning it in by this point, and it's really sad.

Some of his faces and anatomy towards his later Amazing run are...

...well, they're bad.

But hey, we'll always have Spidey #300!

:cloud9: