• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your Favorite Art,Drawing or story by Rob Liefeld?
1 1

890 posts in this topic

This is a complete shock to me...honestly. I never realized people felt this way about Rob Liefeld's art.

In his defense, his art was very distinct and it stood out from the rest. He didn't copy anybody else's style. Liefeld was unique...one of a kind.

NM 98, NM 100, and X-Force 1 are some of the best covers.

The industry needed a fall guy and too bad Liefeld was "it". Young guy who did not know any better got thrown under the bus.

IMHO speculators who bought comics instead of investing in their retirement should share the blame as well - if there is demand, marvel, image, dc, et al will keep printing regardless of qualiity

Voice of reason.

Wow. Liefeld as innocent victim. I don't think I've heard that one before.

:roflmao:

This is a complete shock to me...honestly. I never realized people felt this way about Rob Liefeld's art.

In his defense, his art was very distinct and it stood out from the rest. He didn't copy anybody else's style. Liefeld was unique...one of a kind.

The industry needed a fall guy and too bad Liefeld was "it". Young guy who did not know any better got thrown under the bus.

IMHO speculators who bought comics instead of investing in their retirement should share the blame as well - if there is demand, marvel, image, dc, et al will keep printing regardless of qualiity

Voice of reason.

There are some definite gems in this thread.

Too bad they're not open minded, and willing to learn.

I hear this way too much when comics are brought up in the 90's or in general period " Rob Liefeld destroyed The industry" "He Can't draw feet,faces,remember that cap picture,Pouches etc,etc."well I do however agree(very much)that its true but its way too easy to add to this played out dead horse of a subject.However,I do have a a rather interesting question What is your Favorite Art,Drawing or story by Rob Liefeld?This should be Interesting Can't wait to see what you guys have to say...

Well, since this thread immediately devolved into a bunch of sheep baah-ing the same tired, old criticisms and showing no appreciation or interest in actually discussing art, I'll actually answer the topic itself.

I think this is his best piece ever:

liefeld-nm-pinup-dark-wide.jpg

I wont pick apart the posing and anatomy but for me this type of work is still disappointing. It is a clutter of bodies with little to no thought about composition so that the viewer is overwhelmed. This technique seduces the art naive but when you compare it to the balanced chaos of other artist like Geof Darrow you can see he makes up for a lack of technical skill with an abundance of pockets, awkward poses and superfluous weapons.

Back on topic then... :grin:

Just got home from work and took a quick snap. Sorry about the crappy pic. It's from my cell phone and crappy lighting.

My all time favorite Liefeld piece is the cover on NM 98...even when it first came out. So no, not a fan just because of it's skyrocket value. It's a great cover with great colors that caught my attention right away.

Left to right (I know I don't need to spell it out for comic collectors)...NM 87, NM 98, and NM 100.

rob_liefeld.jpg

Voice of reason.

There are some definite gems in this thread.

Too bad they're not open minded, and willing to learn.

I can see that. Now, let's all move forward....

I hear this way too much when comics are brought up in the 90's or in general period " Rob Liefeld destroyed The industry" "He Can't draw feet,faces,remember that cap picture,Pouches etc,etc."well I do however agree(very much)that its true but its way too easy to add to this played out dead horse of a subject.However,I do have a a rather interesting question What is your Favorite Art,Drawing or story by Rob Liefeld?This should be Interesting Can't wait to see what you guys have to say...

Well, since this thread immediately devolved into a bunch of sheep baah-ing the same tired, old criticisms and showing no appreciation or interest in actually discussing art, I'll actually answer the topic itself.

I think this is his best piece ever:

liefeld-nm-pinup-dark-wide.jpg

My favourite parts are that Domino's foot has been "Fixed" and,

like so many other drawings, Shatterstar's weapon looks like it was added after the fact. :cloud9:

In case anyone hasn't seen this classic Stan Lee interviewing Liefeld as he draws:

Even if Liefeld's work was extreme satire designed to accentuate the ridiculousness of the musculature, the over amplification of the female's sexuality, and the latent homoerotic undertones of the characters (not that there's anything wrong with that), it still wouldn't be firmly grounded enough in it's fundamentals to be called good.

Even if Liefeld's work was extreme satire designed to accentuate the ridiculousness of the musculature, the over amplification of the female's sexuality, and the latent homoerotic undertones of the characters (not that there's anything wrong with that), it still wouldn't be firmly grounded enough in it's fundamentals to be called good.

I'm not sure anyone who's an Archie fan should be throwing stones about what constitutes good...

Again...there is just so much wrong going on in this drawing (as RMA pointed out earlier). I still think the worst thing of all is Warpath's size.

Look at where his chest is and then look where his legs are. See his thigh/knee over by Shatterstar? His right leg behind Cable (try and picture where his knee is in proportion to his lower leg). How long is his torso?

This version also gives you a clearer shot of Cable's feet. Look at where his left leg is in proportion to his left shoulder/arm.

It's just lazy.

To be fair, I thought the OA/sketch that was posted earlier in the thread (with the "elephant foot") was actually pretty good (except for the foot). I would say that is a much better drawing than this one. I remember a few years ago, someone posted a sketch they had Rob do at a show that was actually quite good. I think he does have some talent (more than the average person), but he's either lazy or just doesn't care.

Some of his earlier NM covers are decent, but I think a lot of that can be attributed to the McFarlane inks (and you can clearly see McFarlane in those covers). McFarlane at least had an understanding of human anatomy and proportion.

I'm not sure anyone who's an Archie fan should be throwing stones about what constitutes good...

:facepalm: