• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your Favorite Art,Drawing or story by Rob Liefeld?
1 1

890 posts in this topic

At least some of you bought into the hype back in 1991 and were buying his stuff. He didn't make a ton of dough and gain a ton of popularity because people mocked him.

Thank you, captain obvious.

No problem, colonel passive-aggressive.

At least some of you bought into the hype back in 1991 and were buying his stuff. He didn't make a ton of dough and gain a ton of popularity because people mocked him.

Hey, I've gone up in rank! :banana:

You've done good work.

I hear this way too much when comics are brought up in the 90's or in general period " Rob Liefeld destroyed The industry" "He Can't draw feet,faces,remember that cap picture,Pouches etc,etc."well I do however agree(very much)that its true but its way too easy to add to this played out dead horse of a subject.However,I do have a a rather interesting question What is your Favorite Art,Drawing or story by Rob Liefeld?This should be Interesting Can't wait to see what you guys have to say...

Well, since this thread immediately devolved into a bunch of sheep baah-ing the same tired, old criticisms and showing no appreciation or interest in actually discussing art, I'll actually answer the topic itself.

I think this is his best piece ever:

liefeld-nm-pinup-dark-wide.jpg

You wanna discuss art....? Fine, let's discuss art:

Look at the background. It's nothing but a poorly drawn "brick" wall.

Look at the feet.

Look at whatever that is Cable is wearing. It looks like a suit someone would put on for space or deep sea exploration. He cannot possibly move around in that contraption.

What the hell is growing on Warpath's right forearm?? And why is it bigger than his HEAD?

And why is his fist bigger than everyone ELSE'S head?

Where is Domino's left foot?

What is Shatterstar sitting on?

Why are Boom-Boom and Cannonball standing on a platform that isn't shown?

Look at Cable's left "foot"....then compare it to his right "foot"

This can go on and on and on....there are endless errors on this piece.

Beat me to it!! (worship)

We could do this all day, and not run out of things to critique. ;)

The problem here is that you could do this FOR ANYONE. Pick any artist and any piece of art, and if you've already decided you don't like the artist, you'll find plenty of things to mock.

And the reverse is true too, that if you love the artist you'll ignore all the same issues.

Even though I just posted this on another thread yesterday, it fits in well here too.

Want to go through picking apart all the things wrong with this piece?

KirbyAPSigned.JPG

Kirby drew that when he was 60 years old and it was during a period when his work WAS getting criticized by comic fans. It's what happens when you sit hunched over a drawing table for 40 years, pumping out 3 to 4 books a month (something Liefeld will never get accused of), and your health starts to fade.

Yeah, when Kirby got late into his years, some of that stuff started to show... but he clearly, CLEARLY had an understanding of anatomy and perspective in his career, something Liefeld showed a LACK of understanding for in everything HE did throughout his entire career.

Oh and part of the reason the perspective looks flawed is Caps fist and foot are supposed to be jumping out of the page at you. It's meant to be larger to show it being nearer to your eye. There are better examples than this one, but that's what's going on here.

Well, since this thread immediately devolved into a bunch of sheep baah-ing the same tired, old criticisms and showing no appreciation or interest in actually discussing art, I'll actually answer the topic itself.

I'm glad the thread has devolved into that. There is absolutely no need to have an edifying discussion about Rob Liefeld's work at all, anywhere on the internet, ever.

You've done good work.

Now it's getting to be serious business.

I remember buying Youngblood #1 back then. To my credit, I didn't buy #2 or any subsequent issue. :)

Peace,

Chip

A few years ago, my son and I were in a comic book store in Carbondale, IL (road trip), and he sees a Youngblood #1-4 being sold as a set (for $2, what a rip off!) and was curious to check it out because he'd heard how bad it was.

So I got it for him.

He couldn't finish it.

I'm still not swayed that RabidFerret is not Rob Liefeld.

Haha, nah, just someone who appreciates his work from the early 90s.

Not saying I dig his current stuff. Not saying I don't think he's done some horrible things in his career(poaching artists, not hitting deadlines, not improving as an artist, etc),

But when he first arrived? He was unlike most of what was in comics. He created a clone army singlehandedly and was the poster-child(good and bad) for comics. If you grew up in that era there's no way you didn't admire him. A young 20 year old kid drawing one of the top selling books?

You can hate him now, but back then he was quite impressive.

Oh, and thanks to all you haters, it just makes his work that much more affordable to buy:) You guys can mock me all you want, but I'll be laughing all the way to the bank:)

I hear this way too much when comics are brought up in the 90's or in general period " Rob Liefeld destroyed The industry" "He Can't draw feet,faces,remember that cap picture,Pouches etc,etc."well I do however agree(very much)that its true but its way too easy to add to this played out dead horse of a subject.However,I do have a a rather interesting question What is your Favorite Art,Drawing or story by Rob Liefeld?This should be Interesting Can't wait to see what you guys have to say...

I think this is his best piece ever:

liefeld-nm-pinup-dark-wide.jpg

You wanna discuss art....? Fine, let's discuss art:

Look at the background. It's nothing but a poorly drawn "brick" wall.

Look at the feet.

Look at whatever that is Cable is wearing. It looks like a suit someone would put on for space or deep sea exploration. He cannot possibly move around in that contraption.

What the hell is growing on Warpath's right forearm?? And why is it bigger than his HEAD?

And why is his fist bigger than everyone ELSE'S head?

Where is Domino's left foot?

What is Shatterstar sitting on?

Why are Boom-Boom and Cannonball standing on a platform that isn't shown?

Look at Cable's left "foot"....then compare it to his right "foot"

This can go on and on and on....there are endless errors on this piece.

Beat me to it!! (worship)

We could do this all day, and not run out of things to critique. ;)

The problem here is that you could do this FOR ANYONE. Pick any artist and any piece of art, and if you've already decided you don't like the artist, you'll find plenty of things to mock.

No, you cannot. The difference between Liefeld and Kirby is quite simple: the mishaps and mistakes and incongruencies and misproportions for Kirby are the exception. With Liefeld, they are the rule.

Rob Liefeld has always tried to hide his technical inability behind a lot of squiggly lines, and call it "style"...and for the most part, he succeeds.

Your assumption..."if you've already decided you don't like the artist"....is a false one.

While it's true that many people are habitual liars and delude even themselves, there are, in fact, honest people who can speak honestly about a subject without worrying whether they will "offend" others with the truth, and who don't speak one way or the other depending on their agenda.

In that respect, an honest person can honestly evaluate both the positive AND negative aspects of another's talent, whether they are a personal fan or not.

Bona fides...? I had the #6 registry set for Liefeld New Mutants, and am simply waiting for an opportunity to take over #1.

meh

Does Deadpool deserve any credit here?

Fabian Nicieza instilled the persona and laid the groundwork that saved Deadpool from the obscurity that swallowed up so many of his contemporaries.

It was Mark Waid’s work in the second Deadpool mini that made the character’s first dent in shattering the 4th wall between he and the reader. Waid definitively entrenched Deadpool as the erratic Bugs Bunny figure that has made him the unique patch of the Marvel quilt that he is.

Plus, he charged me $140 to sign 7 books (all of 30 seconds), and he couldn't even be bothered to do one little head sketch.

:sumo:

You should've asked for a foot sketch then, just to see his reaction.

Have you ever heard the story of when Art Adams tried to teach him how many teeth are in a human mouth?

No, what happened?

I'm still not swayed that RabidFerret is not Rob Liefeld.

Haha, nah, just someone who appreciates his work from the early 90s.

Not saying I dig his current stuff. Not saying I don't think he's done some horrible things in his career(poaching artists, not hitting deadlines, not improving as an artist, etc),

But when he first arrived? He was unlike most of what was in comics. He created a clone army singlehandedly and was the poster-child(good and bad) for comics. If you grew up in that era there's no way you didn't admire him. A young 20 year old kid drawing one of the top selling books?

You can hate him now, but back then he was quite impressive.

Oh, and thanks to all you haters, it just makes his work that much more affordable to buy:) You guys can mock me all you want, but I'll be laughing all the way to the bank:)

I would never put someone down for their taste in a particular comic book artist. I might snicker a little, but never put down :angel:

And yes, it was impressive that someone with so little talent was able to be that successful. I will readily admit that.

Plus, he charged me $140 to sign 7 books (all of 30 seconds), and he couldn't even be bothered to do one little head sketch.

:sumo:

You should've asked for a foot sketch then, just to see his reaction.

Have you ever heard the story of when Art Adams tried to teach him how many teeth are in a human mouth?

No, what happened?

Apparently Rob asked Art for some advice about his work and Art made him sit down and open his mouth while Art counted out loud how many teeth Rob had. A friend of mine swears he saw this happen in person.

Sure, we can do that with some things on most comic art (except Wrightson's and Frazetta's (worship) ), but we can do this with just about EVERYTHING on just about EVERY published Liefeld page.

No, you cannot. The difference between Liefeld and Kirby is quite simple: the mishaps and mistakes and incongruencies and misproportions for Kirby are the exception. With Liefeld, they are the rule.

Present day I won't argue. I'm not a fan of his current stuff.

But his peak stuff, on New Mutants, X-Force, and Youngblood, was quite good. Good enough to launch a company and sell 5 million books, which can't just be excused away as a fluke or blind speculation. It was based on his success and potential. Ask any art dealer and I think you'll hear consistently that his art was going through the roof at one point because everyone thought he walked on water.

All the things people criticize today were the things they pointed to and called style back then.

I'm simply saying that his prime work was solid and enjoyable and unlike anything on the market at the time.

If you want to get into nitpicking strange feet or long legs or pouches why not bring Mignola into the mix? Every one of his covers is laid out the same way like a Drew Struzan movie poster. He never draws the inside of Hellboys hand. His feet, if they appear, are pointy little stubs. He hides all his mistakes in shadow, right?

But I suspect you'll immediately change your tune and declare his art is stylistically acceptable to have awkward proportions and such because he knows what he's doing, right?

(And to be clear, I do dig Mignola quite a bit, but am just using him to play devil's advocate here)

Your assumption..."if you've already decided you don't like the artist"....is a false one.

Just because it doesn't apply to you doesn't mean it doesn't apply to the majority of people blinding posting on this thread:)

As soon as the topic of Liefeld pops up the peanut gallery links back to the funny 40 worst drawings page from 15 years ago as if that's the open and shut discussion.

While it's true that many people are habitual liars and delude even themselves, there are, in fact, honest people who can speak honestly about a subject without worrying whether they will "offend" others with the truth, and who don't speak one way or the other depending on their agenda.

In that respect, an honest person can honestly evaluate both the positive AND negative aspects of another's talent, whether they are a personal fan or not.

Hey man, I'm all for this! I speak honestly and fairly when I can. But too many people are chiming in with their sheepinions as if they themselves truly believe it.

Probably the same people that mock Waterworld and Ishtar and Gigli without having seen any of them or formed an opinion on their own outside of what the collective media says they should think:)

Bona fides...? I had the #6 registry set for Liefeld New Mutants, and am simply waiting for an opportunity to take over #1.

I don't even know what this means? What is a registry set?

Present day I won't argue. I'm not a fan of his current stuff.

But his peak stuff, on New Mutants, X-Force, and Youngblood, was quite good.

Have you ever read New Mutants #100? If you have, grab a copy and try and count the pages that have recognizable backgrounds. Anything, a wall, a tree, a lamp. Anything.

No, it wasn't quite good. It has never been quite good.

It was different.

As to your claim that it was "good enough to make X millions"....have you ever heard of a film called "Star Wars: The Phantom Menace"....?

I'll hang up and take your answer on the air.

:popcorn:

I've seen Waterworld and Ishtar and Giggly-they suck

So does Liefeld