• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your Favorite Art,Drawing or story by Rob Liefeld?
1 1

890 posts in this topic

Ps no one's excoriated him yet on his horrible faces and cheekbones

I can't say I'm a fan of Liefeld comics. I'd say I'm less a fan of Liefeld's work than his greatest critics, since I still don't like Cable or Deadpool or Glory, no matter who the creative team is.

What I will say, which will probably cause more of a spoonstorm than actually admitting to liking Liefeld comics, is that I don't find him any better or worse than Jim lee, Todd McFarlane, Erik Larsen, J. Scott Campbell, or any of the popular 90's super hero comic illustrators. Which to me is hilarious. Liefeld's harshest critics will consider his art the example of the worst in comics, and their example of the best in comics is so close a match I have to look at the signature to know for sure it's not just another Liefeld image. They are literal clones of one another.

If you can't tell Liefeld from McFarlane, Lee, Larsen, or Campbell, you're not paying very close attention.

:whee:

Look at the feet

All of them either hide the feet behind something or draw a diamond shaped flipper where the foot goes.

More Liefeld at the "top of his game":

What's up with Cable's left hand?

97911643384.4.GIF

How about Juggernaut's right arm?

97911643384.3.GIF

The guy that's not Deadpool's right leg?

97911643384.2.NEWSSTAND.GIF

In case anyone hasn't seen this classic Stan Lee interviewing Liefeld as he draws:

Very cool video. Enjoyed watching this, thank you.

Wow is the character they create very much 1990.

Even if Liefeld's work was extreme satire designed to accentuate the ridiculousness of the musculature, the over amplification of the female's sexuality, and the latent homoerotic undertones of the characters (not that there's anything wrong with that), it still wouldn't be firmly grounded enough in it's fundamentals to be called good.

I'm not sure anyone who's an Archie fan should be throwing stones about what constitutes good...

For anyone who previously thought you might not know what you're talking about when it comes to an understanding of comics and the sequential art form, you pretty much sealed the deal there.

I laughed when he said the character throws 'explosive boomerangs'....uh, so they return and blow him up????

For anyone who previously thought you might not know what you're talking about when it comes to an understanding of comics and the sequential art form, you pretty much sealed the deal there.

Oh, you're totally right! Archie art and its ilk like Sabrina is flawless perfection right??

Like in this wonderful example:

Wow, that's an amazing looking vehicle in panel 1. What is that? Where can I get one? It looks to me like a rectangle with little donuts for tires. And I love how the foreshortening works in the opposite direction! That's so cool!!

Sabrina028p02_zpsd66fcb25.jpg

Or this example:

Wow, what an amazing dive in panel 2! I've never seen myself dive before but I'm sure that must be exactly what I look like!

Sabrina028p03_zps3db7fa77.jpg

Boy do I feel like a fool now...

Edited by RabidFerret

That's like comparing renassaince realists to picasso-totally different forms. For what it is, cartoony art, it is way better that for what Liefeld is-comic superhero art. Just because something is simple does not mean it is not skilled-Charles Schulz was a master and very difficult to imitate.

And anyway show some SA Archie.....that is WAY better than Liefeld....

Well, I understand where he's coming from.

He likes Liefeld and there's nothing wrong with that - and he was surprised by the negative reaction -which I confess is a little unexpected.

So he's lashing back. Not unusual behavior.

That's like comparing renassaince realists to picasso-totally different forms. For what it is, cartoony art, it is way better that for what Liefeld is-comic superhero art. Just because something is simple does not mean it is not skilled-Charles Schulz was a master and very difficult to imitate.

They're both comic books. They're both about sequential storytelling. Neither is real.

So to be arguing that one unreal comic book with bad perspective is somehow better than another unreal comic book with bad perspective just seems a bit silly.

I'm not knocking simplicity - I'm knocking poor art.

It's comic books. It's about telling a story and entertaining people. That's really what the goal is.

Well, I understand where he's coming from.

He likes Liefeld and there's nothing wrong with that - and he was surprised by the negative reaction -which I confess is a little unexpected.

So he's lashing back. Not unusual behavior.

OK, here's what's ridiculous about this whole thread.

The topic was "What is your Favorite Art,Drawing or story by Rob Liefeld?"

It wasn't a thread about "who don't you like" or "what makes good art" or any of the many places most of the vitriol would fit in. It was an honest question that has now had a small handful of posts related to the topic and about 15 pages of trolls that come out of the woodwork to mock someone they don't like.

Yeah, I'm an unabashed fan of the work Liefeld did when I was a kid. It was great, especially when you have the perspective to remember how formulaic and identical most comics were back then.

I suspect none of you know the guy, I suspect none of you follow his work, and I'm almost certain none of you have done anything with your lives worthy of this soapbox you're preaching from. If you're John Byrne or Sal Buscema or Jack Kirby and know what it's like to actually produce comics for 25 years, sure, your opinion would be interesting to hear. But I doubt any of you have produced even a single comic in your life.

I don't go jumping on a thread for an artist I don't like just to mock him and his fans. It's juvenile. Some of us actually wanted to have a chat about Liefeld art and what we enjoyed. Instead we have the comic book equivalent of the Westboro Baptist Church picketing out front..

I don't really see much difference between most of these posts and the same things I see from those vilifying gays and minorities and women. People hiding behind masks and mocking someone to satisfy their own small egos:)

Edited by RabidFerret

That Archie page is definitely poorly drawn-it's like the Liefeld of Archie or something