• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When GA superheros are reading comics

23 posts in this topic

I was thumbing thru my Captain America 1 and noticed a panel where Bucky is sitting on a cot reading "Marvel Comics".

It got me wondering if anyone knows the first example of a Superhero reading a Comic book.

This one is from 1941. Surely there are some Batman/Superman examples before 1941?

get-attachmentaspx_zps128bb688.png

Edited by gadzukes

My memory is foggy, but thought i recalled an MLJ story like that... Shield ironically... then again I dont remember what I ate for dinner last night.

Maybe you were thinking about Archie reading about the Shield.

14118758095_09c8533a41_z.jpg

The Shield usually read the Daily Star and Dusty read Zip.

:banana:

13932105819_c7e4010411_c.jpg

My memory is foggy, but thought i recalled an MLJ story like that... Shield ironically... then again I dont remember what I ate for dinner last night.

Maybe you were thinking about Archie reading about the Shield.

14118758095_09c8533a41_z.jpg

The Shield usually read the Daily Star and Dusty read Zip.

:banana:

13932105819_c7e4010411_c.jpg

^^ posted like a comic zen master

Dusty reading zip... ok I was close, ehh!

Two people are reading Action Comics in Action Comics #7. One is a villain in the Pep Morgan story and the second person is reading a copy when Zantara comes up to him.
13934939249_631e574a34_c.jpg14121599415_802ea98a04_c.jpg Edited by BB-Gun

That Zatara panel almost looks like the cover to Action 8..... if you squint and use your imaginations.

So, in Action Comics, they were reading Action comics.

In Pep comics Archie was reading Pep comics.

But in Captain America Bucky was reading a Marvel Mystery Comic. Nice cross promotion!

Edited by gadzukes

Two people are reading Action Comics in Action Comics #7. One is a villain in the Pep Morgan story and the second person is reading a copy when Zantara comes up to him.
13934939249_631e574a34_c.jpg14121599415_802ea98a04_c.jpg

I logged in to mention the panel in the Pep Morgan's story Action Comics was also a bondage panel. Thanks for posting the photos.

That Zatara panel almost looks like the cover to Action 8..... if you squint and use your imaginations.

But in Captain America Bucky was reading a Marvel Mystery Comic. Nice cross promotion!

I think it would complicate the storyline of Captain America #1 if Bucky was reading the same book with the story itself as he would know about the menacing shadow behind him :gossip:

Action 7 was still 1938 so it was the only title being published then with Superheros in it.

I always liked the Richie Rich cover where he's reading comics out of his safe.

2824497445_5387cedb5b_o.jpg

and Supersnipe reads The Shadow...perhaps Vol. 5 #6.

Edited by BB-Gun

Showcase #4 has a panel of him reading a GA Flash Comics.

:headbang: One of my favorite stories but part of the silver age by definition.

14129370815_824831d30c_b.jpg

I always wondered if his costume was like a onesie and had snaps down by the legs and britches. hm

I always wondered if his costume was like a onesie and had snaps down by the legs and britches. hm

I guess I've never read that before. Wouldn't it just be easier to wear the costume under your clothes? How did he fold it back up and put it back in the ring once the molecules had expanded?

I guess I've never read that before. Wouldn't it just be easier to wear the costume under your clothes? How did he fold it back up and put it back in the ring once the molecules had expanded?

You can be sure he put the costume on and took it off very quickly. He probably folded it quickly like origami and stuffed it into the ring. You can do a lot of things if the laws of physics don't apply.

Edited by BB-Gun