• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM: Superman 4

17 posts in this topic

So, I took a chance on this and bought this for a decent price on eBay. All of the pages look to be there, and attached just fine, and there doesn't seem to be any restoration from what I can see.

The only problem was that the guy sent this in a couple of Priority Mail envelopes and literally no bag or board. Its a miracle it wasn't ruined.

The book has a spine split up to the bottom staple, a name written on the cover, and a couple of tears on 2 pages. Other than that, its pretty nice and glossy and the cover is holding up very nicely. It has to be at least a 2.0 based on what I see.

Thanks in advance for any help everyone!

Supes41_zps8065df03.jpg

Supes4_zps24674784.jpg

IMG_3966_zps6eefa441.jpg

IMG_3968_zps6626e196.jpg

Very nice. I agree with the grade. Is the top edge trimmed near the number four it looks as though it is missing some of the black from the circle?

Wow, that was indeed a nice price. It looks VGish other than the splitting at bottom and the interior tears, so I'd say 2.5/3.0 range... 2.0 seems too low to me. Great pickup!

I'm not a expert but compared to a few of the cgc ones on eBay it looks trimmed. I thought staples looked cleaned too. But comparing to pics on eBay as best as I can with the picture you provided. They seem to be ok.

Why do you think it looks trimmed? Anything is possible I guess, but the top edge cut doesn't look especially suspicious to me, nor is the artwork at the top out of whack compared to some of the other blue label #4s.

Love that Superman cover! (thumbs u

A lot of these early GA books can be notorious for goofy out of alignment printings on the cover and sometimes even affecting the inside pages as well.

But something to take into consideration,... Lets say this is a printing malfunction and the image was printed too high on the cover and you lost a piece of the circle around the 4. If you pull the image back down to where the 4 has a full circle around it then the name "Shuster" at the bottom would almost be cut off.

If there are other copies of this issue that have a full circle around the 4 and Shuster's full name at the bottom, then I believe it leaves this particular book open for speculation,... or it is just some wacky printing anomaly.

Here is a scan of mine before I got a new scanner.

I have almost the top of the circle, but missing the bottom of the sig.

Superman4_zps495d786f.jpg

I doubt the book is trimmed. But I can't say with seeing it closer up.

Here is a scan of mine before I got a new scanner.

I have almost the top of the circle, but missing the bottom of the sig.

Superman4_zps495d786f.jpg

I doubt the book is trimmed. But I can't say with seeing it closer up.

After viewing this cover, I would say that the book of the OP has not been trimmed.