• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much is too much...

30 posts in this topic

... for a GA book that's relatively rare with extremely limited sales history?

Do you use a "X times guide" value to figure it's value or if it's one that you must have, do you take the "by any means necessary" approach?

... for a GA book that's relatively rare with extremely limited sales history?

Do you use a "X times guide" value to figure it's value or if it's one that you must have, do you take the "by any means necessary" approach?

Some books might be 2 times guide, some might be 20 times guide. Look for other data points that might be comparable. If you need it for your collection and it's a tough book, look to pay more than the next guy.

I'm with you on this one as GA material is sometimes so difficult, at least for me, to value. In fact, I'm wondering the same thing on a particular book at the moment...

I paid 10x guide over certain books. It's usually the books that the guide is technically way off. One example is Cinderella love 25. Usually if I really want it, I use GPA. I have only paid double on a GPA based pricing.

The guide is generally useless on truly rare books. Back when I used to actually look for scarcer throw out the guide books, if I couldn't find sales history for the specific book, I'd use something similar as a metric - genre, artist, subject matter, character, etc, and that was for books in the lower grades.

High grade rarities? If you have to ask you can't afford it.

I take the any means necessary approach...as long as I don't feel cheated. I've turned down a $1500 purchase because the guy decided he wanted me to pay another $10 dollars for shipping.

Just a thought on that, when a seller feels the need to eek a little more money out of you on a truly expensive purchase (for me anything over $500), then they truly are not worth dealing with and/or do not want your repeat business. That kind of stuff bothers me as well

If you've been jonesing for the book and it rarely if ever comes to market, bite the bullet, even if it's treble what you thought it would be.

If you've been jonesing for the book and it rarely if ever comes to market, bite the bullet, even if it's treble what you thought it would be.

Nope, don't get the oblique reference. :whistle:

:pullhair:

I sold a rare GA book for about 10x guide in the past year, and I had a warm and happy feeling inside because I really felt I was doing the buyer a huge favor. The buyer was grateful. In fact, I sold it to the buyer for less than I could have gotten from others, but selling for less to this buyer seemed like the right thing to do.

This is all very good information and thank you all for your insight!

I guess my next question would be...

Is the Gerber scale fairly accurate?