• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Okay, SERIOUSLY...

Is it time for a new age of comics to be named for those printed in the 1990s/early 2000s?  

498 members have voted

1. 1. Is it time for a new age of comics to be named for those printed in the 1990s/early 2000s?

104 posts in this topic

1990-2000 Platinum Age

2000-Now Modern Age

(thumbs u

Can't call it platinum. Platinum beats silver, silver beats bronze, and paper covers rock.

Common guys!

I know, right?!

Well boys, looks like we've painted ourselves into a corner here.

What's lower than copper?

Plexiglas?, tin?, aluminum foil?

When we run out of materials, do we stop making comics?

OH. MY. GOD! WHAT IF THEY STOP MAKING COMICS!?

...I'll have to have conversations with my gf....

Oh, this is horrible... :ohnoez:

No doubt this HAS to happen.

20 years from now are we still calling 90's books "moderns"? What about 40 years?

We listen to a radio station on our way to visit relatives that says they play "The best of the 80s, 90s, and today", which makes my kids laugh that "today" apparently spans 15 years...

1990-2005 Brass Age

2005-2020 Plutonium Age

I vote for "Charmin Age"

Soothing and comfortable but routinely .

Please don't squeeze (press) the Charmin

If you really want to excoriate the 90's call it the Liefeld Age

Lead

Please, you don't have to have one post per page in this (or any) thread, OK?

-slym

So, how do we actually go about making this name stick once we have it? Cuz I can only imagine the looks I would get if I went into my LCS and asked for a Captain America #1 Brass (or any other name) age book.

1990-2000 Platinum Age

2000-Now Modern Age

(thumbs u

Can't call it platinum. Platinum beats silver, silver beats bronze, and paper covers rock.

Common guys!

Can't call it Platinum because there is already a Platinum Age, generally 1897-1938.

Chromium Age gets my vote for 1990 - 2000.

Or how about 1992-2003 if we base it on revolutionary events? Creation of Image to the debut of The Walking Dead. (shrug) I dunno.

Chromium Age gets my vote for 1990 - 2000.

Or how about 1992-2003 if we base it on revolutionary events? Creation of Image to the debut of The Walking Dead. (shrug) I dunno.

I like it!!!!

I am not worried about the name so much, as getting to where everyone agrees we even need a new name.

(thumbs u

-slym

Maybe the dividing lines should be based on "access" instead of publishing trends? hm

Golden Age = newsstands, 5&dime

Silver Age = everywhere

Bronze Age = convenience stores (7-11), drugstores

Copper Age = comic shops begin, still in convenience stores

Chromium Age = comic book shops (90's hype unleashed)

...and at some future point, when a generation looks back, the " how I first encountered comics" question will probably be a digital-experience for a vast majority. Another significant divide. A 'digital age'.

From another similar thread last year:

How about the Diamond age?

They've dominated comic distribution since the mid 1990's, those 'die cut' covers were all the rage over the past few decades and if we're moving into the digital age it seems like an apt name.

Again, I am not looking for discussion on what to name any new age we might get, just wondering if we will even get one!

meh, I thought this would happen, anyway...

:ohnoez:

-slym (for the record - likes "the Chromium Age" for 1990-2000)

You're right. I've been lead astray.

Yes we will get a new age. Could be started by CGC as a new age for sub, or by diamond as a distributed, or by overstreet to manage the price guide.

So will we? Definitely. When? When someone with enough sway says so.