• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

9.4 COW vs. 9.2 W

9 posts in this topic

Which is more desirable? A golden age book graded a 9.4 with cream-off white pages (highest grade) or the same book graded at 9.2 with white pages (2nd highest graded)...Which is worth more? I am not sure if cream pages detracts as much for golden age books as it does for silver age.

I wouldnt pay th eextra 100% for the 9.4 over the 9.2... and the page qquality would be a great "excuse" to save the money. Alsp, depending on the book in question, there might be only one 9.4 and 1 or 2 9.2s so I would feel very comfortable owning the 2nd "best" copy (with much better pages) for a lot less dough!!

for a Silver age book with a full census, the 9.4 grade would sway me more, unless it was an ugly "lucky" 9.4 that looked no better than the 9.2

I'd say the market indicates the 9.4 is worth more, but I find the 9.2 white to be more desirable. I find it to be amazing that 60-70 year old books can still have white pages after all this time...

Depends on what else is out there, and what is your knowledge as to the scarcity of the book in high grade. If there are multiple 9.4s out there, then it may be worthwhile to pass up the 9.4 because it has c-ow pages, because you might get another shot at a 9.4 with better pages someday. On the other hand, if it is a copy that is extremely difficult to find in 9.4 and you think there's a good chance that no equal or better book exists or is likely to surface, then you go for the 9.4.

Depends on what else is out there, and what is your knowledge as to the scarcity of the book in high grade. If there are multiple 9.4s out there, then it may be worthwhile to pass up the 9.4 because it has c-ow pages, because you might get another shot at a 9.4 with better pages someday. On the other hand, if it is a copy that is extremely difficult to find in 9.4 and you think there's a good chance that no equal or better book exists or is likely to surface, then you go for the 9.4.

..or, you're concerned about the book lasting without going brittle and deteriorating in the next 20 years, and you wisely pick a book with true white pages over pages that have gone cream....

..or, you're concerned about the book lasting without going brittle and deteriorating in the next 20 years, and you wisely pick a book with true white pages over pages that have gone cream....

Give me a break! The difference in page quality between C-OW and OW or OW/W can be so subtle that the impact on page life could be negligible. Plus, CGC has been less than consistent with their designations of PQ. We've all seen re-subbed books where the page quality actually went up, so there's no guarantee that those white pages which you're creaming over (pun intended) are all that white or all that supple.

I'd definitely take the 9.2. That's a no-brainer! A GA book with better than cream to off-whie pages is a groovy thing indeed.

thumbsup2.gif

Cream to Off-White pages don't bother me in the least, but there's just something about a GA book with bright white pages! cloud9.gif