• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Name the single best comic shop in your hometown.

85 posts in this topic

Hmmm, Back in Chicago's Southside I can go to Alternate Reality (closest), which has some some cool back issues but the new releases are all put on those metal racks that cause everything to fold and droop in half, plus you have to be 6 foot 3 to get the comics on the top shelf. The service is sub-standard, the owner, who is there most of the time I go in, usually just sits behind the counter reading and never says anything. Double plus, its one of those kid-unfriendly shops, I think it's kids under 10 or 12 aren't allowed in without parents?

All American Comics-one of the [#@$%!!!] poor shops you might go to find a hot modern that is sold out in other stores, like there's no register, just a calculator. It is also the smallest. The guy keeps his best comics on the wall, like a lot of shops in Chicago seem to do, of course they've all been faded by light. Also has a dust problem

Comic Dungeon-I've only been there once because the shop has really wierd hours, like not opening until late afternoon or something. The shop has some really good back issue bins, however its another "tape your best comics to the wall" shops. This guy has some great stuff on the wall, but the sunlight, it's almost like he does it on purpose, there's a low number Green Lantern taped into this spot next to the window where light shines through right between two posters, I swear if it was moved a foot up or down it'd be in the shade, but no, the cover is almost completely tan.

Tenth Planet-the best, has some young kids working there that are friendly, good back issues bins, the best comics are on the wall but the sunlight doesn't reach them.

There's two more that are further out in the suburbs but they are brand new and don't have good back issue bins and are usually sold out of stuff from lowballing orders.

My other home -Dubuque, Iowa. Comic World-the only actual comic shop, has the nicest owner, really young and everything, was offered a pull box and everything. There's other used bookstores that have lots of old and random comics, some real gems. I tell ya if you live on the coast and are looking for treasure troves of comics and unknown pedigrees, come to the Midwest. Most of the people out here don't care about comics, and will let valuable stuff go for almost nothing.

Time Tunnel in Hickory NC is my lcs. Good people work there, usually a pretty good back issue selection (although I have picked over it a lot lately) and some nice books on the wall that sunlight never gets to. Pretty decent on prices, and always gives me 10% off any purchase, even higher ticket items.

I have also been to Hero's Aren't Hard to Find in Charlotte. Have a great selection and a huge store. If you want a high grade book, then this is the place in my area of NC to go.

Hmmm, I respectfully disagree - I occasionally visit a shop that has some nice Silver and Bronze high grade (you are right about Gold - very hard anywhere). Just have to ask, as it is usually in boxes behind the counter. Hint: try the Tri-Cities.

For Moderns, my selection in Detroit is Comic City (Novi or Pontiac) or Classic Comics Center in Livonia.

thumbsup2.gif

I have visited just about every LCS in the Detroit area. None of them have have high grade silver or gold in any grade. The best store in Michigan is the Collector's Zone in Jackson.

My suggestion to any collectors in the area would be to befriend Harley. He's a good guy and doesn't have a problem with wharehouse visits headbang.gif

Cmon, I'll never guess. Just spill the beans smile.gif

Did you ever make it to Classic Comics when they were in Farmington? The store was literally underground and the stairway had really cool superhero murals painted all along the wall. They carried incredible books back then. It was comic heaven for a 5th grader.

I feel bad going there now as the back issue selection is really poor.

Strange Adventures Comic Bookshops

www.strangeadventures.com

toll-free 1-866-6-COMICS

("king of the geeks" on ebay)

Voted Halifax's Best Comic Shop 1998-2004

Winner of the 2001 Will Eisner "Spirit of Comics" Award

"The World's Greatest Comic Shop!" -Previews Magazine

5262 Sackville Street, Halifax, NS B3J 1K8

The place is about the size of an outhouse, cozy is an understatement, they also are located in the basement of a building that houses the largest adult novelty shop this side of Montreal.

But Calum the owner is cool as ice, they always go all out with contests and stuff, this is the store that won the Hellboy contest on News@Rama.

Great deals, very loyal shop, will get you anything you ask for, be it through ebay or anywhere else.

Tomorrow night from 7-9 they are having an invitation only sale for the high end customers, slew of discounts on anything in the store with a ton of freebies, I am going to raid Cal's stock of McFarlane Sportspicks and Spidey silver age issues.

Great store.

My favorites in Eastern/Central Mass, in no particular order

Million Year Picnic

Webhead

That's Entertainment

Comicopia

Comicazi

Harrison's

I also regularly shop for new books at NEC Brookline and Newbury comics on both Newbury St. and at Govt. Center.

Outer Limits in Waltham.....NEC in Quincy......

My favorites in Eastern/Central Mass, in no particular order

Million Year Picnic

Webhead

That's Entertainment

Comicopia

Comicazi

Harrison's

I also regularly shop for new books at NEC Brookline and Newbury comics on both Newbury St. and at Govt. Center.

Outer Limits in Waltham.....NEC in Quincy......

To my great shame, I've never been to The Outer Limits.

I should have mentioned the NEC in Quincy, since they do actually have some interesting books. I just rarely make it out there, so it's not at the top of my list. Of course, I make it to Web Head just as often, so I guess I really have no excuse 27_laughing.gif

I guess the best comic shop in Philly is Fat Jack's on 20th and Samson, but that isn't saying much. Philadelphia has been a pretty poor comic book city since the early nineties.

Cmon, I'll never guess. Just spill the beans smile.gif

Did you ever make it to Classic Comics when they were in Farmington? The store was literally underground and the stairway had really cool superhero murals painted all along the wall. They carried incredible books back then. It was comic heaven for a 5th grader.

I feel bad going there now as the back issue selection is really poor.

Yeah, back in the 70s Classic was great for the old stuff - not so much anymore. My Grandfather would take me there every once in a while and I ot to pick out a book or two. cloud9.gif

They are top notch for Moderns though - one of the best selections around every Wednesday.

The only one that I have really gone into since I started back up this summer is Lone Star Comics. Its the only one I know of in Fort Worth. It is a chain and also does big online sales. Because of this, there is no real in store stock, just some scattered moderns. I miss the feel of seeing all those cool silver/bronze issue, on the wall. Those were the good memories from collecting as a kid just staring at the grails and dreaming.

The Twin Cities seems to be holding its own. My favorite is Nostalgia Zone despite it fulfilling many stereotypes, but then again those are what makes it *feel* like a comic shop ... along with the floor-to-ceiling, wall-to-wall cases of books and boxes of books. There's a new-issue shop connected to it as well.

But shops are dotted across the entire metro area, there is one established chain -- Hot Comics -- with bright, clean interiors. The longstanding, large and popular chain of newsstand Shinders is moving more into comics by the month, it seems.

I don't seem to run across any fly-by-night shops, really.

I guess the best comic shop in Philly is Fat Jack's on 20th and Samson, but that isn't saying much. Philadelphia has been a pretty poor comic book city since the early nineties.

Absolutely true. Philly is one of the worst comic cities in the country. I actually prefer Showcase on South St. over Fat Jack's who have probably the surliest staff ever.

Absolutely true. Philly is one of the worst comic cities in the country. I actually prefer Showcase on South St. over Fat Jack's who have probably the surliest staff ever.

Surly staff are the worst. I just want to yell "Dude! You work in a comic shop! Chill!"

I would have to say Nostalgia Zone is the best shop in MN. I have to travel about an hour to get to it. The Source in St. Paul is also nice, though they don't have the back issues Nostalgia Zone does. I remember when the place used to be called Comic City over 20 years ago...

Dreamhaven is also good if you like indy / alternative stuff.

The DC area is terrible for comic stores. The best is Phoenix Cards and comics in Herndon, but they never have anything older than about 1965. They are good guys though, and can help you get almost anything, and it is 5 minutes from my house. Cards Comics and Collectibles in Baltimore is the best in the area for older stuff.

I go to Time Warp in Hewlett, NY a lot, the owner is a nice guy and he usually stocks the main titles in quantity so I don't bother with a pull list, and he has cheap supplies. If he doesn't have some of the more obscure indys, I'll stop by Cosmic Comics in Rockville Centre, NY. But I don't really like that store because every wall is stacked with action figures and what not and the walking space is narrow and I hate having to pick my way through the store without knocking stuff over. GIVE ME SOME ROOM IN HERE!!

I'll also stop by Count Dracula's Comic Crypt in Oceanside, NY now and then just to see what he's put into the 50 cent bins and to look at the old magazines he has. And, I'll also stop by Captain Comics in New Hyde Park because the owner's a nice guy. I don't like Grasshopper Comics in NHP; it's too antiseptic to be a good comic shop.

There's also a few others I'll pop into if I'm in the neighborhood like Amok Time in Levittown. They have some unbelievable statues, my son was doing backflips over the three foot Godzilla they had (for about $600 I think).

Long Island is a hotbed of collecting!

Here in NYC, Midtown Comics, even though i don't buy new comics, they have all the magazines i collect on time. They have a pretty decent selection of back issues, and they have very good adult section. The store is also laid out with lots of room to move, and the staff is very friendly.

I travel 25 miles to go to Boca Comics.

Shawn and Todd are friendly guys, discount on new, discounts on old, half off hard back collections (just got the Miller SpiderMan and Adams Batman 1). They had the new Adams Deadman, hope my hint was good enough.

The DC area is terrible for comic stores. The best is Phoenix Cards and comics in Herndon, but they never have anything older than about 1965. They are good guys though, and can help you get almost anything, and it is 5 minutes from my house. Cards Comics and Collectibles in Baltimore is the best in the area for older stuff.

My wife & I spent a long weekend in DC last June. We did a 10K walk in Georgetown, and stumbled upon Big Planet Comics. Not a good store for back issues, but a good stock of new comics and graphic novels, very well displayed. My wife was actually comfortable shopping there, rather than waiting for me outside.

bigplanet.jpg