• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

would it matter?

70 posts in this topic

okay I have a fair bit of bronze age comics to sell and here's my problem I don't have money to purchase supplies and since they are in 1.0-3.0 condition would you guys care if I sent it in something other than a comic bag and a backing board? although I do have a lot of leftover cardboard

let me hear your opinions guys!

From a very old thread:

Everybody should send comics in a cereal box. :sumo:

41930-box.jpg

Read the whole thing here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7160433&fpart=1

I wouldn't send it in a cereal box lol, it would just wouldn't have comic bags and boards I would try to use a replacement for both of those though!

But seriously...it might help to ask yourself if it would matter to you as a customer. I generally do not like receiving a package of "loose" comics wrapped in cardboard and shoved into an envelope, even if the books are lower grade.

When I sell lower grade readers, they are either individually bagged (or bagged-and-boarded), or "bricked" (= 10-20 raw comics stacked neatly on top of each other) and then sealed in a magazine or GA-size polybag.

If your goal is to do this professionally, you'll want to adhere to generally accepted professional practices & standards, and this includes careful packing and shipping of books. In my experience, if you treat ALL your shipments as if they contain rare & expensive books, you will never go wrong, and your customers will admire you for the time and care that you took with their order...

For my money, I would want quality in shipment...even if it's a poor condition book. Customer service is important. If you don't have money for shipping supplies then you shouldn't be selling them on line.

***Hope that didn't come off as a-hole-ish

From a very old thread:

Everybody should send comics in a cereal box. :sumo:

41930-box.jpg

Read the whole thing here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7160433&fpart=1

I wouldn't send it in a cereal box lol, it would just wouldn't have comic bags and boards I would try to use a replacement for both of those though!

Well, a full cereal box might just provide enough cushioning. hm

For my money, I would want quality in shipment...even if it's a poor condition book. Customer service is important. If you don't have money for shipping supplies then you shouldn't be selling them on line.

***Hope that didn't come off as a-hole-ish

no it didn't I'm just asking since I'm done to a bronze bag and board left!

Perhaps we could do a bag raising drive. I will donate 50 used bags. Who will donate some boards?

are you serious about that? or just yanking my chain? If you are I'll make it worth your while lol!

I wouldn't have a problem with that "method" of shipping if you're selling your books as beaters/reader copies....and the price reflects it.

yes the price certainly reflects that they are 1-3 dollars comics

I wouldn't have a problem with that "method" of shipping if you're selling your books as beaters/reader copies....and the price reflects it.

If you are stating condition of what you are selling, method of shipping, and clearly lay everything out on the table....I really wouldnt think that anyone should have a problem with that. Its up to the individual whether they choose to buy it or not.

Its not like you selling 9.4, 9.8 slabs, asking for $15 shipping cost and then buyer receives a padded envelope (or cereal box ;) ).

a silver age bag may hold 5 or more comics, a golden age bag even more. even a current age bag can hold 2-3 depending.

re-use old comic bags if need be. (this is why i keep my old bags just in case unless they have turned sticky/gross)

take a stack of 40-45 or so of them, busted up between 6-10 bags and cut 2 pieces of cardboard out for the top and bottom of the stack.

take saran wrap (or generic equivalent) and wrap them up nice and tight.

now you have a nice brick. (obviously it can be less than 40-45 comics)

i am assuming you are selling cheap stuff in bulk.

if your 2.0 is a Hulk 181 or something I suggest investing the 15 cents on a bag and board or two.

Perhaps we could do a bag raising drive. I will donate 50 used bags. Who will donate some boards?

are you serious about that? or just yanking my chain? If you are I'll make it worth your while lol!

shipping 50 used bags from long island to canada will cost more than him just buying them in canada.

if you have no bags I suggest investing $5-$6 on 100 gold or silver age bags and follow the aforementioned brick method when selling in quantity.

if you live in civilization there should be plenty of boxes with enough flat surfaces for you to be able to cut plenty of stiffening/backing boards.

If you are stating condition of what you are selling, method of shipping, and clearly lay everything out on the table....I really wouldnt think that anyone should have a problem with that. Its up to the individual whether they choose to buy it or not.

Its not like you selling 9.4, 9.8 slabs, asking for $15 shipping cost and then buyer receives a padded envelope (or cereal box ;) ).

no I wouldn't do something like that if something was that valuable I wouldn't ship it in something like that!

a silver age bag may hold 5 or more comics, a golden age bag even more. even a current age bag can hold 2-3 depending.

re-use old comic bags if need be. (this is why i keep my old bags just in case unless they have turned sticky/gross)

take a stack of 40-45 or so of them, busted up between 6-10 bags and cut 2 pieces of cardboard out for the top and bottom of the stack.

take saran wrap (or generic equivalent) and wrap them up nice and tight.

now you have a nice brick. (obviously it can be less than 40-45 comics)

i am assuming you are selling cheap stuff in bulk.

if your 2.0 is a Hulk 181 or something I suggest investing the 15 cents on a bag and board or two.

thanks for explaining that method for me

shipping 50 used bags from long island to canada will cost more than him just buying them in canada.

if you have no bags I suggest investing $5-$6 on 100 gold or silver age bags and follow the aforementioned brick method when selling in quantity.

if you live in civilization there should be plenty of boxes with enough flat surfaces for you to be able to cut plenty of stiffening/backing boards.

okay and do you have any ideas for a substitute comic bag?

the closest comic book store is 3.5 hours away from me!

stick the comics between two pieces of carboard cut to order and then wrap in saran wrap (or generic substitute). the idea is to not have the comics shift around and get more damaged and/or have a tape snag.