• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stan Lee @ Dallas Comic Con

51 posts in this topic

Being new to the larger Comic con scene, how long am I expected to wait for Stan Lee to get his signature on a few books? Also, worth it to have him sign a ASM 1:300 Alex that has the dreaded corner tear and have it get graded? Thought?

Bring your Archie, Playboy and Time magazine. He'll sign anything. It will probably be a long line and the crowds will be huge, so be patient and if you are going to have it slabbed, you will need to arrange it with a CGC witness.

The last time I got Stan Lee to sign a comic it was about 1.5 hours. The line moves sorta fast because of the handlers. Stan Lee is about 10 feet away from you, you hand your comic to a guy and he hands it to Mr Lee who signs it and hands it to another guy who gives it back to you. CGC reps fro Desert Wind Comics are usually right next to Mr. Lee's table. The cost of Mr Lee's signature is $80 per item..up from $50 a couple of years ago.

There's no time to talk to Mr Lee...you would have to shout anyways since he sits back from the line.
That just seems completely not worth it to me. Not criticizing Lee for it, if that's what it takes to get through the lines of people who want a sig from him. Just wondering why people go for it? It can't be all flippers. There's people out there who can't wait to meet Stan Lee, and they'll grab their favorite comic, even if it's worthless, and get it signed. But for $80 and not even a chance to say hi to the guy? I'd pass.

There's no time to talk to Mr Lee...you would have to shout anyways since he sits back from the line.
That just seems completely not worth it to me. Not criticizing Lee for it, if that's what it takes to get through the lines of people who want a sig from him. Just wondering why people go for it? It can't be all flippers. There's people out there who can't wait to meet Stan Lee, and they'll grab their favorite comic, even if it's worthless, and get it signed. But for $80 and not even a chance to say hi to the guy? I'd pass.

You'd be surprised ... I've witnessed in Stan's line several times and the vast majority of people there couldn't care less about the $80 sig fee; they're carrying a beat-up copy of their favorite issue of ASM and are genuinely excited just to be near Stan Lee.

It is a few hour wait usually. I have done it a few times. I can't believe it is up to 80 bucks now. As mentioned the line goes really fast. I think the ASM 1/300 would be a cool one to get signed myself.

Jeez Louise cut the guy some frickin slack he's over NINETY! :makepoint: The fact he's there at all is amazing! :whee:

Stan Lee signed a couple of books and my badge for me at the 1994 SDCC. The line was long, but moved quicker than I would've expected. Got a handshake and chatted with him about something for maybe 30 seconds.

Seemed like a decent guy who got a kick out of meeting with fans.

Back then, it was ZERO dollars. Those were the days.