• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My poor comic book....

11 posts in this topic

Hi all, Just wana share this... was browsing thru those old comic books dated back to the 90s and this is what I found;

(Apologies for my lousy camera skill)

The comic book inks had transferred onto the backing board ~?! :sick:

IMG_5821a.jpg

Comparing the decomposed board against a newer board...

IMG_5822b.jpg

Moral of the Story?

Change your comic backing board every couple years or switch to those of good archive quality.

Did you use the coated side of the board or opaque side of the board. You have to use the coated side, some boards might be coated on both sides, but that board looks like the one side variety. Its not ink transfer, its oxidation caused by the lignin in the paper.

Did you use the coated side of the board or opaque side of the board. You have to use the coated side, some boards might be coated on both sides, but that board looks like the one side variety. Its not ink transfer, its oxidation caused by the lignin in the paper.

Yeah my bad, its oxidation effects... its funny cos only this comic seems to be affected the most among the same box.

The coated side was placed with the comics but i guess the coatings had broken down.

Oh there's also a strong "comic book smell" on the coated side compare to the matt side..

My guess is that it is not so much the board itself, but the storage conditions, which cause both the book and the board to interact in a nasty way.