• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2014 Independent & Underground...

7 posts in this topic

[font:Book Antiqua]

I went to TCAF 2014... Link...

And I am now crying under a hot shower for the past 2 hours...

The words independent and underground could not begin to define what this gathering was...

I have a whole rant about my experience,

but my post its most related with the question:

Is anyone reading / buying this?

is anyone aware of the Modern / Independent / Underground medium?

After seeing this con I understand where

Scott pilgrim or Jeff Lemire came from (Old references by today standards).[/font]

susceptible-blog-test-01_zpsb94b1c1c.jpg

Scouts-Drawing_zps333dc937.jpg

EllenF2_zpse268e9d1.jpg

Cool thread - local/part-time creators get very little notice.

Phoenix has a healthy indie/underground comic scene; I'll buy a few books at local cons to support the creators. One of the more famous comics is Ocho which has references that only locals would understand and typically has cool cover swipes.

http://www.ericmengel.blogspot.com/

I enjoy everything Jeff Smith does.

I enjoy pretty much everything Brubaker and Phillips do together.

I enjoy Gabrielle Bell's work. It reminds me of the autobiographic comics I liked in the 90's. I have an OA page from her.

I have a few of Michael DeForge's comics and have enjoyed them. Unfortunately I missed his recent appearance here in the St. Louis area.

I enjoy Darwyn Cooke's work, most recently the Parker books he brought to life with his exceptional storytelling artwork.

If you we're looking for superheroes, you went to the wrong event.

I enjoy everything Jeff Smith does.

I enjoy pretty much everything Brubaker and Phillips do together.

I enjoy Gabrielle Bell's work. It reminds me of the autobiographic comics I liked in the 90's. I have an OA page from her.

I have a few of Michael DeForge's comics and have enjoyed them. Unfortunately I missed his recent appearance here in the St. Louis area.

I enjoy Darwyn Cooke's work, most recently the Parker books he brought to life with his exceptional storytelling artwork.

If you we're looking for superheroes, you went to the wrong event.

[font:Book Antiqua]Darwyn Cooke, Jeff Smith & Sean Phillips were the bait for me to attend this fiasco.

I went to each one both at 11.05, 12.30 and 1 pm

they never where there.

But I have the pleasure to talk with some fat, unpleasant agents in at least 2 booths...[/font]

:P

Yes, I'm aware of self published undergrounds

It's funny that people who attend cons and dislike the stigma that comes with being a collector/congoer stereotyping other comic collectors/congoers because they like a different genre of comic books. Fat smelly rude nerds were at the con! Unlike comicon though, right?

And I'm wondering if you thought "small press" meant Zenescope? lol

But no, I wouldn't attend a con either. It was my goal to attend APE because of some of the big names appearing one year. Then I saw a video of APE on YouTube, and saw what the tables are filled with. Cheap bootleg looking Western generic manga, usually of the adult variety. So yeah, it was nerds and their self published hentai. No more saving for APE.

But I'm still interested in the Los Angeles Zine Fest, which has small press comics but isn't exclusive to comics. That is until I read a blog from someone who attended that completely shatters my illusions of it being a cool thing.