• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOS 39 CGC 9.4! Wow!

125 posts in this topic

great to have you on the boards , jeff, hope you can share more of your collecting knowledge and experiences.......................like the story and how you were the first to buy the curators!!!

ben

I'm confused now. It wasn't John Hauser that discovered the Curators?

Hi Ben

It was John who discovered the Curators. This is THE nicest silver age collection ever found. It was the luck of the draw for me. I called John to see if he had gotten anything in I would be interested. At that time I was strictly a collector. He mentioned a collection he was negoiating on up north that was incredible. John is an accurate grader and so I knew that they must be nice if he thought that highly. I arranged to meet John and look at the initial batch. I saw the DD 1 (which I would later buy) the Sgt Fury # 1, JIM Ann 1 among others. He mentioned that he would be getting a pristine run of X-Men and ASM soon including the AF 15. I told him sight unseen I would buy the X-Men # 1 and AF 15 and buy the rest after I purchase those 2. When the X-Men 1 (later the 9.8) arrived at my home John said, "you've won the lottery." I have always respected John for holding that book for me in spiteof the fact many many others were offering him more $. He is a man of integrity. I purchased the AF 15 next and missed the ASM #1 by an HOUR! He called me and asked if I wanted to buy the Curator ASM # 1, 3, 5, 9, 18 and 26 for a price that would make all of us gag now but keep in mind at that time CGC was not even thought of and the movie was still an empty Stan Lee promise. It was a lot of money for me especially having just bought the other Curators. I said "let me think about it" (playing hardball right?) When I called him back less then an hour later another good friend of mine who some of you have heard of had just beat me to the punch. I offered him 5 grand more but as I said John is a man of him word. The only one still left was the 3 and 5. I passed on the 5 and bought the Curator 3. Not a day goes by when I don't think about the "ones that got away"

I saw all the X-Men all the ASM. You know the saying "it looks newstand fresh" these were better than that! Well, that's the story Ben. Some other time we can talk about why the books were sold by the Curator in the first place but I've already taken up too much space. Thank you for all the greetings and well wishes. I appreciate it. Jeff

WOW!!

tkae up more space jeff

THIS is exactly the great collectors war storied i love to read about- talk about timing and being int he right place @ the rigth time! but the "ones that got away".................oh man...........................

kudos to john hauser- he is a man of integrity o/w u wouldnt have got the xmen 1, which turned out an unbelievable cgc 9.8!

CaptainsOfIndustry Any particular reason you won't ship to Canada?

The problem I've had with Canada is the problems they have losing parcels. If you win the TOS 39 I'll make an exception for you and ship to Canada.

I was the 1st to have CGC identify the pedigree on the lable when I had my Curator Daredevil # 1 graded but what most don't know is the reason why they were sold to John in the 1st place. The most interesting bit of trivia on the Curator books is that the Curator used the money to pay for a sex change operation. Yes, the famous Curator comics have an origin of the stuff the Jerry Springer show is made of! All for now boys. Jeff

Thanks. I was asking for future auctions, and since I now know that you're approachable on the topic, I'll email you for permission to bid if I'm ever interested in a book you have on auction.

The problem I've had with Canada is the problems they have losing parcels. If you win the TOS 39 I'll make an exception for you and ship to Canada.

I was the 1st to have CGC identify the pedigree on the lable when I had my Curator Daredevil # 1 graded but what most don't know is the reason why they were sold to John in the 1st place. The most interesting bit of trivia on the Curator books is that the Curator used the money to pay for a sex change operation. Yes, the famous Curator comics have an origin of the stuff the Jerry Springer show is made of! All for now boys. Jeff

Perhaps you should simply suggest that any shipments to Canada must be via FedEx, or some form of other registered mail where signature is required and the package is trackable? Given the high grade stuff you are flogging I can't imagine that any of my fellow Canadian collectors would want their books shipped any other way. confused-smiley-013.gif

Perhaps you should simply suggest that any shipments to Canada must be via FedEx, or some form of other registered mail where signature is required and the package is trackable? Given the high grade stuff you are flogging I can't imagine that any of my fellow Canadian collectors would want their books shipped any other way. confused-smiley-013.gif

$$$ FedEx is not exactly cheap, and money saved on postage is more money to spend on books. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hey Jeff, thanks for sharing this info with us. thumbsup2.gif

Do you know if the Curator ASM 15 has been slabbed, and if so, what it graded out at? What can you tell us about the rest of the collection, in terms of other titles in the collection, how complete the runs were, etc. And most importantly, even though you don't collect DCs, what DCs were in the collection. I've seen a few appear sporadically, almost all of them mindblowing, and would love to know whether there are NM+ runs of early SA DCs from this collection just waiting to surface.

Fedex to Canada is no guarantee either...I once had a package delayed in customs three weeks before it cleared, and it was a hard drive with valuable info on it that had to be there overnight. It shouldn't have happened, but even Fedex was unable to circumvent the petty pissings of a Canadian customs official with an overactive authority complex.

Actually he collected a broad range of stuff. When I saw the first stack I saw some pre-hero and misc. I said to John like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person (I don't collect non hero books) Keep in mind I'm not selling any comics at the time, nor was it in my mind that I would sell any in the future. John shared with me that there were many other titles and that the collection was vast. I believe it would have included Gold Key and the like. John did not buy all of them. His focus was primarily super hero. He bought the Avengers run as well. I did see the Avengers 1 in their 1st showing to me as well. That graded a 9.4, low for Curator standards. There is a person who owns the FF run and he's not selling. So the collection was split and is floating around out there. Some TOS were bought ungraded that we found out later were Curators. The buyer had a hunch as soon as he bought them that they were Curators and it was confirmed. Does the Curator still have comics? It's entirely possible that he (she) might. The reason they are so nice is that he stored them presumably without being read in a dark air conditioned room. That's all for now. See you guys, got to get back to work.

Actually he collected a broad range of stuff. When I saw the first stack I saw some pre-hero and misc. I said to John like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person (I don't collect non hero books) Keep in mind I'm not selling any comics at the time, nor was it in my mind that I would sell any in the future. John shared with me that there were many other titles and that the collection was vast. I believe it would have included Gold Key and the like. John did not buy all of them. His focus was primarily super hero. He bought the Avengers run as well. I did see the Avengers 1 in their 1st showing to me as well. That graded a 9.4, low for Curator standards. There is a person who owns the FF run and he's not selling. So the collection was split and is floating around out there. Some TOS were bought ungraded that we found out later were Curators. The buyer had a hunch as soon as he bought them that they were Curators and it was confirmed. Does the Curator still have comics? It's entirely possible that he (she) might. The reason they are so nice is that he stored them presumably without being read in a dark air conditioned room. That's all for now. See you guys, got to get back to work.

thanks for all of the insight. this is a welcome relief from the recent strife on the boards. the "Pedigree" boys are probably wetting their pants over the possibility of learning more about this fabulous collection. grin.gif

welcome to the boards!!!!!!!!