• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looked at a large Copper collection (3,000 books) this morning...

103 posts in this topic

I view it all as great customer service. If they buy a $100 book or a $1 book from me and they're both high grade, they're both going Priority Boxed.

Peace,

Chip

The great customer service is free. The higher shipping cost cant last long.

I view it all as great customer service. If they buy a $100 book or a $1 book from me and they're both high grade, they're both going Priority Boxed.

Peace,

Chip

That's the way to take care of your customers. :applause:

I wouldnt bid on a $1 comic with $6.50 shipping and others aren't either obviously, so what's not worth it, using affordable shipping or not selling something?

What do you consider affordable shipping since comics can't be sent Media Mail? First class is around $2.50 per book, but then I need to source the cardboard and purchase padded envelopes which will raise the shipping cost to $4.50 and still the comic has a chance of being bent. The way I ship now there's no way the comics can get damaged unless the postal truck runs over the package.

Peace,

Chip

Dont use the bubble envelopes, use regular envelopes.

I don't care if it costs me 20 dollars for a 10 dollar book,please ship books in boxes not envelopes.I won't buy from someone who uses padded mailers.

at a certain point, a box is nice to look at. A protected envelope is good for cheap books.

At least give your customer the option,no? (shrug)

Don't forget the bubble-wrap! I just got two 300-foot rolls delivered to the house for less than $20.

-slym

When I worked in a warehouse we would unload tractor trailer loads of 5 foot high 3 foot diameter rolls of bubble wrap. Stack them three units high and twenty deep just to barrel through them on electric pallet jacks. Them were the days...

I wouldnt bid on a $1 comic with $6.50 shipping and others aren't either obviously, so what's not worth it, using affordable shipping or not selling something?

What do you consider affordable shipping since comics can't be sent Media Mail? First class is around $2.50 per book, but then I need to source the cardboard and purchase padded envelopes which will raise the shipping cost to $4.50 and still the comic has a chance of being bent. The way I ship now there's no way the comics can get damaged unless the postal truck runs over the package.

Peace,

Chip

I don't care if it costs me 20 dollars for a 10 dollar book,please ship books in boxes not envelopes.I won't buy from someone who uses padded mailers.

at a certain point, a box is nice to look at. A protected envelope is good for cheap books.

I think that is key. Giving options.

Peace,

Chip

It's lasted a few years now, so I'm not sure what you think will happen. My repeat customer base has grown, not shrunk.

Peace,

Chip

If you're going to be selling comics as a long term business start buying supplies in bulk. Uline, Bagsunlimited, or even eBay sellers of supplies have super discounts when buying envelopes and boxes in the hundreds.

I get bulk supplies (boxes, envelopes, bubble envelopes) from the postal service for free. The only thing I purchase is a 22 cubic feet bag of packing peanuts once a month for $37 and clear packing tape every other week for $6.

Peace,

Chip

Looking for a list of comics that you would consider "worth the effort to sell" just from the 2 years.

Uh, why? :insane:

So you can help him make $ without him doing any work. :whistle:

Did you see my first post? I already had a list with 90% of the books on there. I was just checking to see if there was anything I'd missed. Goodness...

Peace,

Chip

Don't forget the bubble-wrap! I just got two 300-foot rolls delivered to the house for less than $20.

If I may ask, from where? I was never able to find it that cheaply which is why I went the packing peanut route.

Peace,

Chip

Peace,

Chip

Do you not have an availability to LCS or Con's or do you just like burning money, ha.

Peace,

Chip

I dont give that option, but if a customer asks, of course ill box ship it. If a single book goes for $10 or more, its shipped in a uline s342. Anything less is more cost efficient for me to ship envelope. I also offer flat rate shipping so most orders go out in a box anyway.

Peace,

Chip

It's lasted a few years now, so I'm not sure what you think will happen. My repeat customer base has grown, not shrunk.

Peace,

Chip

Imagine how much your repeat customer base would grow if you had cheaper shipping.

Unfortunately I have to charge $5 for my shipping, The box I ship in costs $1.50, The actual shipping is $3.50 and I lose out on the bubble wrap and packing paper I use on the inside, I agree this is high but the comic gets there safe and that's what matters to me.

I would rather have a customer slightly unhappy with the price of shipping and receive the comic in the condition they ordered it, I will say my price including shipping is still lower than the others listed so hopefully it is evened out in the buyers mind.

Imagine how much your repeat customer base would grow if you had cheaper shipping.

Please educate me on how much more amazing your shipping is than mine. I'd really like to know.

Peace,

Chip

It really depends how much a book costs you and how much you are selling it for. Like I said, most of mine are around $20 sales, which I buy for $0.50-$3 each. I offer free shipping, which IMO is a big help in selling something. I ship First Class in a basic yellow envelope with well secured, free, cardboard on both sides which is larger than the comic to help if it gets hit on a corner.

Net profit is anywhere from $10-$20 per sale.

If you feel whatever you are doing is working, there is no reason to change it. There are definitely customers that appreciate a well packed box for shipping. The only reason I think people started commenting is because you said things weren't selling for $1.

Peace,

Chip

I think that is key. Giving options.

Options is the key.

For instance, If I'm buying cheap readers, I prefer a cheap boxed shipping option. I don't care how long it takes to get to me. Don't make me choose priority or nothing for a bunch of mid-grade $1-$2 comics. :eyeroll:

There is a well known and established seller on the boards who will only ship priority. If I'm looking to buy low dollar comics from him I don't want to pay the extra cost of priority. Thus, I rarely buy from him.

I haven't had an issue using these mailers coupled with thick cardboard pads. It's not an envelope, but it's not quite a box.

Those are nice, but $6 a pop, yikes.

(shrug) The link I posted equaled $0.60 per.