• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looked at a large Copper collection (3,000 books) this morning...

103 posts in this topic

Imagine how much your repeat customer base would grow if you had cheaper shipping.

Please educate me on how much more amazing your shipping is than mine. I'd really like to know.

Peace,

Chip

Sorry man, was just offering help. I keep reading your posts about how each sale helps your family and stuff, i was just offering unwanted advice. Wasn't saying anything bad about your shipping, again, just offering unwanted advice. However, from reading some of the posts about "this helps out my family a lot", "i do this full time to provide for my family", taking the unwanted advice from someone who went from a 200 feedback part time seller to a 5000+ gold powerseller, by revenue not by volume, in a year, can help. I excuse myself from this hread. Sorry to derail.

I haven't had an issue using these mailers coupled with thick cardboard pads. It's not an envelope, but it's not quite a box.

Those are nice, but $6 a pop, yikes.

I like your math.

lol

$6 / $0.60, that's the same, right?

Don't forget the bubble-wrap! I just got two 300-foot rolls delivered to the house for less than $20.

If I may ask, from where? I was never able to find it that cheaply which is why I went the packing peanut route.

Peace,

Chip

Ebay! You can't get the BINs, they will run $5-7 more, but hit some auctions, keep your bids low, and you'll end up getting it for cheap.

:D

-slym

Sorry man, was just offering help. I keep reading your posts about how each sale helps your family and stuff, i was just offering unwanted advice. Wasn't saying anything bad about your shipping, again, just offering unwanted advice. However, from reading some of the posts about "this helps out my family a lot", "i do this full time to provide for my family", taking the unwanted advice from someone who went from a 200 feedback part time seller to a 5000+ gold powerseller, by revenue not by volume, in a year, can help. I excuse myself from this hread. Sorry to derail.

No, no...no worries. It's difficult to read "tone" over the internet and it sounded like you were being snarky. Sorry for the misinterpretation. :foryou:

I've done the same thing as far as selling on ebay...went from part-time seller to Silver Powerseller in under a year. I have never had my own money to invest in the business, though. I've had some great people work with me and I've sold their books on consignment, which has been good enough money to support my family.

These past 2 weeks have been a watershed time as I've finally been able to put my own money into some local collections and have been lucky enough to score big. Once these books are pressed & slabbed we could finally be caught up on all bills and have some working capital in the bank.

key.jpg

Peace,

Chip

Or, save the pressing and slabbing fees and sell them raw now. This way you wont have to wait 2 months to see them again.

Respected sellers get just as much for a raw key as a slabbed one. Or at least within the margine of the pressing/slabbing difference.

Or, save the pressing and slabbing fees and sell them raw now. This way you wont have to wait 2 months to see them again.

Respected sellers get just as much for a raw key as a slabbed one. Or at least within the margine of the pressing/slabbing difference.

So, he should just price them at GPA minus the pressing & slabbing fees and sell them raw?

I call that - a bad idea.

-slym

Question, Chip: so you find these great collections, do you pull anything out for your personal collection? If not, how do you fight temptation?

Sometimes I think that dealers collect Golden Age so it removes temptation to keep Silver, Bronze and Copper books that come through the door.

Question, Chip: so you find these great collections, do you pull anything out for your personal collection? If not, how do you fight temptation?

My personal collection is pretty much gone. Some personal signed books and a few cool covers I like (that aren't worth anything) are what's on display from now on. After I sold some big books that paid for that eBay fiasco I had a few months back I decided to just keep going and make my family more secure financially. We need a second car (and a second TV) as well as other things. The back bills are now nearly caught up and everything else is current. It's taken some stress off me and April, and down the road everything I had is replaceable. All the books/collections I purchase these days is solely to sell at a profit.

Peace,

Chip

So, he should just price them at GPA minus the pressing & slabbing fees and sell them raw?

-slym

Why is that? I didn;t say what he should price them at. He could run an auction. I just think he could do just as well with raw books and not have to wait. Some folks still like raw books.

My Uncle just sold a raw ASM 129 7.0 on eBay for $450 or so.

For the first time in buying comics I don't have to immediately flip the bigger books to recoup the cash. I've got tons of other stuff from these recent collections to sell and make a profit even before I sell the keys, so I can take the time to send them to Joey and get them pressed/cleaned and submitted. I will be fast-tracking them within reason, so they won't take a year to get back. :)

Plus I've had some really prominent people on this board give me excellent advice on how to sell these desirables, and they all say "CGC it!!!" lol. ;)

Peace,

Chip

My Uncle just sold a raw ASM 129 7.0 on eBay for $450 or so.

For the first time in buying comics I don't have to immediately flip the bigger books to recoup the cash. I've got tons of other stuff from these recent collections to sell and make a profit even before I sell the keys, so I can take the time to send them to Joey and get them pressed/cleaned and submitted. I will be fast-tracking them within reason, so they won't take a year to get back. :)

Plus I've had some really prominent people on this board give me excellent advice on how to sell these desirables, and they all say "CGC it!!!" lol. ;)

Peace,

Chip

I wish you all the best Chip. I CGC books also. Just saying that it is not the only option out there.

Why is that? I didn;t say what he should price them at. He could run an auction. I just think he could do just as well with raw books and not have to wait. Some folks still like raw books.

I'd say the general concensus is that selling raw books at or even near GPA prices is not a good idea, unless the two prices were already close to begin with, such as with lower-grade copies. I am pretty sure Chip will make more bank by slabbing the IH181, the ASM 121s, and others first over selling them raw.

-slym

Have you guys noticed a growth in sales, or at the very least, a returning customer base, after opting to open an eBay store?

There used to be more of a returning customer base when eBay first started up. This has changed significantly over the years. The marketplace is now wider and much different. Now there are several thousand "Chips" selling comics. :grin:

I'd say the general concensus is that selling raw books at or even near GPA prices is not a good idea, unless the two prices were already close to begin with, such as with lower-grade copies. I am pretty sure Chip will make more bank by slabbing the IH181, the ASM 121s, and others first over selling them raw.

-slym

Statistically, I think you are correct. But I have seen some crazy high Auctions on Raw Keys. You just never know what an action will do.

My personal collection is pretty much gone. Some personal signed books and a few cool covers I like (that aren't worth anything) are what's on display from now on. After I sold some big books that paid for that eBay fiasco I had a few months back I decided to just keep going and make my family more secure financially. We need a second car (and a second TV) as well as other things. The back bills are now nearly caught up and everything else is current. It's taken some stress off me and April, and down the road everything I had is replaceable. All the books/collections I purchase these days is solely to sell at a profit.

Peace,

Chip

:gag:

Chip,

Here's some advice: sell more; share less.

peace,

d :grin: