• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GoCollect vs. GPA

51 posts in this topic

I have gpa, but really hate the user interface, lack of mobile app, site constantly logs out, but it has a ton of data.

I just tried to register for gocollect, but kept getting " Username is in a bad format - only letters & numbers." (shrug)

Probably the only complaint I really have against GPA. Otherwise, that's who I use.

I never have that problem :shrug: It stays logged in until I log out.

The only way it doesn't log me out is if I just refresh the page. If I haven't refreshed the page in a while and I type in a new title, I have to log in again.

I have a question for everyone - We will actively seek the thoughts and opinions of the collecting/investing audience as we work on new features. For example, we're currently developing algorithms to extrapolate the values of non-graded comics based upon the sales of their graded counterparts. It's an extremely complex set of calculations that takes a lot of data points into play. Would it be appropriate to pose these questions on the boards? If so, which forum do you think would be best for that sort of thing?

vurr0T8.jpg

does go collect only collect from ebay? will you be expanding to include sales from other sites?

Right now we only gather from eBay (both CGC graded and non-graded sales are harvested). We are in talks with the largest comic auction houses/brokers. We hope to roll out more data very soon.

How do you determine an accurate grade for raw books? I've always wished GPA would allow you to filter by price, for example, show all issues of detective comics that sell for over $100 in 9.8 or show each issue and list the grade that the price jumps over a certain point. That would really help me when I am going over books for grading.

That would be amazing. I sometimes almost look for that option for a split second until I realize that it was never there...and also that I have felt that way before. It just feels like it belongs there.

I have a question for everyone - We will actively seek the thoughts and opinions of the collecting/investing audience as we work on new features. For example, we're currently developing algorithms to extrapolate the values of non-graded comics based upon the sales of their graded counterparts. It's an extremely complex set of calculations that takes a lot of data points into play. Would it be appropriate to pose these questions on the boards? If so, which forum do you think would be best for that sort of thing?

Sounds like General discussion to me.

I had a similar idea years ago.

What sort of data points?

I have gpa, but really hate the user interface, lack of mobile app, site constantly logs out, but it has a ton of data.

I just tried to register for gocollect, but kept getting " Username is in a bad format - only letters & numbers." (shrug)

Probably the only complaint I really have against GPA. Otherwise, that's who I use.

The only way it doesn't log me out is if I just refresh the page. If I haven't refreshed the page in a while and I type in a new title, I have to log in again.

This

This

I concur

Muchos annoying :mad:

This

I concur

Isn't that standard for most websites you need to log into?

This

I concur

Pretty much.

Those same sites also usually log me out when I refresh the page. Pick a side, GPA, says I.

I'll gladly answer anyone's questions. My name is Jeff - I'm the Founder @ GoCollect. Here's a bit about what's going on...

Thanks,

Jeff

I heard some time ago (maybe it has changed) that comiclink doesn't report any sales from their monthly auctions to GPA. Are you in talks with comiclink to get any sales information from them?

This

I concur

The only sites that log me out are my banking, credit cards, paypal, etc. Others like eBay, Amazon, the CGC boards...I stay logged in pretty much until I log out.

I'll gladly answer anyone's questions. My name is Jeff - I'm the Founder @ GoCollect. Here's a bit about what's going on...

Thanks,

Jeff

I heard some time ago (maybe it has changed) that comiclink doesn't report any sales from their monthly auctions to GPA. Are you in talks with comiclink to get any sales information from them?

For the most part... I'll gladly answer anyone's questions. Right now, this is not one I'm able to comment on. Sorry.

For example, we're currently developing algorithms to extrapolate the values of non-graded comics based upon the sales of their graded counterparts. It's an extremely complex set of calculations that takes a lot of data points into play. Would it be appropriate to pose these questions on the boards? If so, which forum do you think would be best for that sort of thing?

Thanks,

Jeff

Could you explain this further?

does go collect only collect from ebay? will you be expanding to include sales from other sites?

Right now we only gather from eBay (both CGC graded and non-graded sales are harvested). We are in talks with the largest comic auction houses/brokers. We hope to roll out more data very soon.

How do you determine an accurate grade for raw books? I've always wished GPA would allow you to filter by price, for example, show all issues of detective comics that sell for over $100 in 9.8 or show each issue and list the grade that the price jumps over a certain point. That would really help me when I am going over books for grading.

The answer to this one is quite complex. I can't break it down to the exacts here (that would expose our secret sauce recipe :eek: ), but I'll high-level the steps involved...

(Note: we are using the sales data from graded books to extract the value of their non-graded counterparts)

1) Determine the time frame to analyze.

2) Utilizing all possible sales points (regardless of time), determine the nonlinear equation where x = CGC grade and y = sale price.

3) Fill in the missing grade averages for the given time frame.

4) Extract the the "built-in" value that is added due to the book being slabbed.

Yeah - that's super-simplified. Steps 1 and 3 are pretty straight forward. Steps 2 and 4 consider a lot of different variables... a few of which are:

- Age (Gold, Silver, etc)

- Popularity of Series

- Key issue within series?

- Presence of sufficient sales data

- Density of sales data (i.e. which grades see the most sales)

- The list goes on...

What I'm finding interesting at the moment are the sales of silver and bronze age books that are being sold for near or less than they likely cost to have it slabbed. There seems to be a certain point on some books where a CGC grade can actually diminish its value. Odd... we don't have the kinks worked out enough to release it all just yet.

When posing questions though, I would generally ask about specific points within the calculation to keep things as simple as possible. Perhaps I'll try one over the next few days to see if I get yelled at for spamming :)

How do you determine the grade of the book?

Simply the advertised grade?

We use the sales of the graded books to determine the value of the non-graded ones using that complex formula I hinted at.

However, we are using the sales data from non-graded books to gauge the general accuracy of our calculations. We do harvest the non-graded sales from eBay and let you search through it (check Marketplace Sales Search in GoCollect account). But really, those just act as a general barometer. Online sales of non-graded books are too subjective to extract reliable sales data from.

We use the sales of the graded books to determine the value of the non-graded ones using that complex formula I hinted at.

However, we are using the sales data from non-graded books to gauge the general accuracy of our calculations. We do harvest the non-graded sales from eBay and let you search through it (check Marketplace Sales Search in GoCollect account). But really, those just act as a general barometer. Online sales of non-graded books are too subjective to extract reliable sales data from.

I think what he's trying to say is: How do you account for all the mis-grading (mostly over-grading) of non-CGC books on eBay? (because there certainly is a LOT of that happening).

I think what he's trying to say is: How do you account for all the mis-grading (mostly over-grading) of non-CGC books on eBay? (because there certainly is a LOT of that happening).

The only sales data we use in these calculations are those that have been slabbed by CGC in a Universal grade. The auction needs to have a clear picture of the item being sold (which we then re-broadcast through GoCollect) with the grade (and holder) clearly legible. We don't rely on seller descriptions.. it's more about the pictures to us. And when the sales data and picture seem very different, we ignore the sale. We also have a flagging system that allows members to alert us if a sale seems out of place.

The only sales data we use in these calculations are those that have been slabbed by CGC in a Universal grade. The auction needs to have a clear picture of the item being sold (which we then re-broadcast through GoCollect) with the grade (and holder) clearly legible. We don't rely on seller descriptions.. it's more about the pictures to us. And when the sales data and picture seem very different, we ignore the sale. We also have a flagging system that allows members to alert us if a sale seems out of place.

Ok, so I am confused. Do you use non-graded books sales data, or do you not??

Also, please clarify: What do you mean by: "it's more about the pictures to us."?

Thank you.

What he is saying is, the equation for determining a value of a raw book doesnt have the actual raw book as a variable.

Simple equation as an example.

X+y=z

X = graded book by cgc or pgx or whatever

y = anything about the book itself, popularity of character or series, cost to slab, whatever. Anything but the actual book itself in raw form that has sold on ebay.

z=value of the book after their calculations.

This honestly seems like creating a value of a raw book off slabbed sales. Wonder how this values will compare to actual raw sales. Will be interesting to see.