• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GoCollect vs. GPA

51 posts in this topic

What he is saying is, the equation for determining a value of a raw book doesnt have the actual raw book as a variable.

Simple equation as an example.

X+y=z

X = graded book by cgc or pgx or whatever

y = anything about the book itself, popularity of character or series, cost to slab, whatever. Anything but the actual book itself in raw form that has sold on ebay.

z=value of the book after their calculations.

This honestly seems like creating a value of a raw book off slabbed sales. Wonder how this values will compare to actual raw sales. Will be interesting to see.

Ah ok, I understand now. Thanks, youmechooz.

And, now that I get it, I find it even more interesting. :)

Jeff, are you saying you would be able to use all that data to extrapolate prices for graded comics that haven't had any recent sales? (or interpolate as the case may be). Or, for example, if action comics #38 hasn't sold in 6.0 for 8 years, but a 3.5 sold 2 years ago and a 5.5 of #40 sold two weeks ago your algorithm could make an educated guess what it was worth? If so, very cool. If not can we get this? I'm always having to put my gpa data into spreadsheets to manipulate it to get these estimates right now and I don't put in nearly as much data as I would like.

What he is saying is, the equation for determining a value of a raw book doesnt have the actual raw book as a variable.

X+y=z

y = anything about the book itself, popularity of character or series, cost to slab, whatever. Anything but the actual book itself in raw form that has sold on ebay.

This honestly seems like creating a value of a raw book off slabbed sales. Wonder how this values will compare to actual raw sales. Will be interesting to see.

That's the idea. Thank you.

Jeff, are you saying you would be able to use all that data to extrapolate prices for graded comics that haven't had any recent sales? (or interpolate as the case may be). Or, for example, if action comics #38 hasn't sold in 6.0 for 8 years, but a 3.5 sold 2 years ago and a 5.5 of #40 sold two weeks ago your algorithm could make an educated guess what it was worth? If so, very cool. If not can we get this? I'm always having to put my gpa data into spreadsheets to manipulate it to get these estimates right now and I don't put in nearly as much data as I would like.

Not quite what I was saying, but yes, we're trying to do this as well. In this type of scenario though, we have experimented with attempting to understand the relative value of the issues #'s around the one in question. Even just a sprinkling of sales can lead to good data. This one has been a little too tricky to feel confident about so far. Also, given that sales are so erratic in this situation, the true value is likely to be a healthy mix of what Overstreet has laid out and how bad the buyer wants it. I'm not sure we'll be able to predict the actual average selling price here, but instead, the goal will be to provide a solid guideline.

X+y=z

That's the idea. Thank you.

So you're basically extrapolating to set a price at what raw books should sell for but not what they actually do sell for?

I'll gladly answer anyone's questions. My name is Jeff - I'm the Founder @ GoCollect. Here's a bit about what's going on...

We've been officially licensing eBay data for quite a while now (that's why you see the required Terapeak logos all over GoCollect). We've used that data to develop our initial value algorithms. We're just getting started there. We're in talks with the largest auction houses in hopes of them providing their data to our platform as well. Once a couple are on board, we'll begin releasing the features that should truly begin to set us apart.

We're tech-savvy data junkies. There's no reason the collectibles markets shouldn't have the same level of flexible data analysis that the stock market does. We're looking to develop that platform and we're starting with comics. The comic book market will likely be our core focus for at least the next 12 - 18 months out.

I am very into an "open door" policy. I really want to hear from everyone (good or bad). Please feel free to get in touch with me via PM here on the boards or email me directly - jeff@gocollect.com.

I have a question for everyone - We will actively seek the thoughts and opinions of the collecting/investing audience as we work on new features. For example, we're currently developing algorithms to extrapolate the values of non-graded comics based upon the sales of their graded counterparts. It's an extremely complex set of calculations that takes a lot of data points into play. Would it be appropriate to pose these questions on the boards? If so, which forum do you think would be best for that sort of thing?

Thanks,

Jeff

I checked out your site, and absolutely love it.

I would recommend a WordPress blog to go with it, so collectors could interact with each other, and yourself.

My question is you alluded that there are other collectibles markets that might get this same type of site. Care to name a few of these future sites that will join the comic book one?

I'll gladly answer anyone's questions. My name is Jeff - I'm the Founder @ GoCollect. Here's a bit about what's going on...

I would recommend a WordPress blog to go with it, so collectors could interact with each other, and yourself.

My question is you alluded that there are other collectibles markets that might get this same type of site. Care to name a few of these future sites that will join the comic book one?

Yes, I would prefer a standard message board rather than the "chirp" feature to communicate with other members.

The full and mobile site are very user friendly.

So you're basically extrapolating to set a price at what raw books should sell for but not what they actually do sell for?

Basically - yep.

Glad you like it - and thanks for the suggestion. In terms of other markets... we don't plan to release anything outside of comics for quite some time so I can't really get into any details. However, if there is at least one reputable grading company in that market, we're likely already gathering sales data there :gossip:

Yes, I would prefer a standard message board rather than the "chirp" feature to communicate with other members.

The full and mobile site are very user friendly.

Glad to hear you're enjoying both layouts. Our analytics seem to be showing collectors enjoy manipulating the mobile search feature for all kinds of interesting stuff.

To the communication point - Our current, primary focus revolves around our core business of comic market analytics and features that support that initiative. We do have some upgrades rolling out soon that improve things like collection management/valuation. But we're not focused on inter-member communication at the moment. There seems to be so many groups and boards already dedicated to that sort of thing. I suppose our flagging system could be a bit more robust/communicative. Perhaps I'll raise some questions surrounding communication preferences a few months down the road once we've got a few more of our core features released. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks,

Jeff

I heard some time ago (maybe it has changed) that comiclink doesn't report any sales from their monthly auctions to GPA. Are you in talks with comiclink to get any sales information from them?

CLink does not provide sales data to GPA.

Jeff, are you going to be providing CGC sales data only, or will you include sales of PGX books? Also, providing data on raw books based on an eBay grade is going to be difficult.

Jeff, are you going to be providing CGC sales data only, or will you include sales of PGX books? Also, providing data on raw books based on an eBay grade is going to be difficult.

We don't have plans to track PGX grades at the moment. There is very little data available on those (and a couple other graders).

Current market valuation on raw books is very difficult. Especially with having only data from eBay. We're in talks with other auction houses. We're a brand new organization and solidifying deals is a slow process. It'll all come together in time. Until then, we'll at least be actively developing with the data we've got in our hands.

Not quite what I was saying, but yes, we're trying to do this as well. In this type of scenario though, we have experimented with attempting to understand the relative value of the issues #'s around the one in question. Even just a sprinkling of sales can lead to good data. This one has been a little too tricky to feel confident about so far. Also, given that sales are so erratic in this situation, the true value is likely to be a healthy mix of what Overstreet has laid out and how bad the buyer wants it. I'm not sure we'll be able to predict the actual average selling price here, but instead, the goal will be to provide a solid guideline.

If you are going to do this, you will need to factor in census population and popularity of the book. Surrounding issues may have nothing to do with the price of any particular issue and clumping them together may provide very inaccurate results.

Take Batman 227 as an obvious example, no surrounding issue sells for anything even remotely close to what 227 sells for, and that isn't even a census number thing. Less obvious example would be something like X-Men 62 which in 9.6 routinely sells for 30-50% more than the surrounding issues. That would be a census number phenomenon as the census in 9.6 is light for that book compared to surrounding issues.

Taking census numbers into account shouldn't be too hard however popularity of a book would require a lot more manual input as well as market knowledge, especially with the movie craze driving prices up on some books seemingly overnight.

I'm giving examples that have enough sales for each book that you wouldn't have to take surrounding issues into account but only because that is what readily comes to mind. This phenomenon would exist just the same for books that rarely sell and therefore would have little or no actual sales data.