• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Popped / Recessed Staples

19 posts in this topic

All,

Recently picked up a great looking copy of X-Men 101 from ebay and it was delivered today. Upon opening the parcel I was extremely disappointed to note staple tears on both staples of the comic. The top staple is recessed and has stress/tears on the top and bottom whilst the bottom staple is popped and cleanly torn through the cover and subsequent page(s?). Can anyone give any guidance on the impact on a comics grade of this sort of damage/problem and if these can occur during production (particularly the clean tear on the bottom staple). I've attached images for review.

14202411303_e60034b3b8_c.jpg

14182280484_6bac1839e5_c.jpg

13995659657_321563a8e9_b.jpg

Apart from a very tiny corner chip, otherwise the book is absolutely immaculate.

Appreciate your feedback.

It does look like an immaculate copy. The recessed staple is fine; there isn't significant damage associated with it to warrant any concern. However, the lower staple "pop" will kill any technical grade, probably by a full two points. :sorry: If you paid retail, contact the seller and return it immediately. If you got it for a song (or somewhere in-between) it's your call to make. Personally, I love low-priced, HG copies with clean staple pops (as long as I didn't pay through the nose for them) in my collection. :grin:

Thanks for the advice. :frustrated: Argh!

Is it possible this popped staple could have occurred in production and thus be graded differently? It looks way too clean a staple pop to me to be damage from handling; additionally as you mention this issue presents so well I can't imagine it being anything else.

Sadly I did pay retail but have already approached seller to complain as this was not disclosed in the description.

I'll scan properly this evening and post images for a view of potential grades so I can gauge how much off the mark it is with the damage.

I see this more in silver age DC comics. Silver age DC comics are notorious for these staple pop-throughs because they used a slightly thinner cover paper. It's like getting punched in the stomach when you get one of these, especially when they're in high grade.

I haven't seen it as much on Marvels which makes me wonder if it was possibly improperly pressed?

It still looks to be a gorgeous copy. I agree with the poster above.... if you got it for a song then just keep it, but if you paid a high grade price then send it back right away.

+1 to what everyone has said.

Staple pops are unfortunate. The biggest issue is that it kills the forward-looking value of your book.

Is it possible this popped staple could have occurred in production and thus be graded differently? It looks way too clean a staple pop to me to be damage from handling; additionally as you mention this issue presents so well I can't imagine it being anything else.

Chicken or the egg really. Half of what people claim to be "production errors" are not. ;) CGC even gets it wrong on occasion. ;) ;) (Although they have a huge amount of experience, in that they see hundreds (if not thousands) of the same issue).

The book has to be opened for the staple to "pop". Hence, user-related defect.

I have a VF+ copy of Swamp Thing #1 with a top staple cover pop. It doesn't look like the book was ever opened, I'm almost positive that it was damaged during production. Is it possible to get a qualified grade because of this?

Thanks again for all the advice and info, resigned to the fact it will be a GLOD for this book.

I've posted in Hey buddy, can you spare a grade? to see what that possible grade would be.

In other news the seller has acknowledged the problem and is refunding the vast majority of the cash I paid. I don't normally share numbers, but with the refund in place I paid around $50 for the book which is in line with Overstreet between a 6.0/8.0.

Question is, would you still get it graded knowing that it will get the GLOD?

Thanks again for all the advice and info, resigned to the fact it will be a GLOD for this book.

I've posted in Hey buddy, can you spare a grade? to see what that possible grade would be.

Personally, if it's too late to return, I'd chalk it up as a lesson well-learned and keep the book in a Mylar with a buffered fullback. It is STILL a beautiful book (just not one you will easily recoup your costs on when you decide to sell). :grin:

Question is, would you still get it graded knowing that it will get the GLOD?

Myself, I wouldn't - but that's just me. I view slabs as sellable items, and if I'm going to spend the time, cost and effort to slab a book, I want it to retain as much saleability as possible, getting a GLOD makes that a really difficult endeavor. I think you're better off keeping it raw (or returning it all together) - but that may not be the way you collect.

Good luck!

I collect both CGC graded and RAW books, so storing in Mylar makes sense rather than the GLOD. I only tend to slab those books I know have the potential for future sale or will go up in value over time. With that in mind I think I'll hold onto it and Mylar it especially now the seller agreed to the refund.

I collect both CGC graded and RAW books, so storing in Mylar makes sense rather than the GLOD. I only tend to slab those books I know have the potential for future sale or will go up in value over time. With that in mind I think I'll hold onto it and Mylar it especially now the seller agreed to the refund.

Seems like the best plan. Not sure you will get the fees back if you slab it and sell it.

Congrats on the story ending. (thumbs u

How harshly does CGC grade recessed staples? Not popped but just pulled in slightly.

It depends on the severity; if there's no tearing associated with the recess, it's not a defect. Some issues are notorious for recessed staples, just like some issues are notorious for bent staples.