• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ad for AF 15 or FF 1?

15 posts in this topic

Was there any book that had a decent looking advertisement for amazing fantasy 15 or FF 1? It's pretty neat to find ads for keys that you can't afford. I know where to find ads for the likes of action #1 and cap #1, TOS 39 and ASM 1, but I haven't seen/heard of any ads for AF 15 or FF 1.

I don't know of any ads that pre-date or match the debuts you mention.

There is a really early, cool looking ad for The Fantastic Four in Strange Tales #95. It has a cover date of 4-62.

<a  href=untitled_zps9ea3c60c.png' alt='untitled_

That's a great question. I'd love to see an ad that pre-dates any key book. Something cool about the first printed image of a major character that the public sees for the first time.

Although, if there was a AF 15 or FF1 ad, I think it would be common knowledge.

Or is it?

I guess I should have mentioned hulk #1 also... I'm pretty sure there is a book with a nice hulk #1 ad but I forget which one.

FF5. Cover date July 62 (release date April 62, and Hulk 1 was released March 62)

46EAF016-1D4E-455B-A9DD-24B8BA112CAE-445-0000001ECF2F2E25_zps668dcb26.jpg

I don't know of any ads that pre-date or match the debuts you mention.

There is a really early, cool looking ad for The Fantastic Four in Strange Tales #95. It has a cover date of 4-62.

<a  href=untitled_zps9ea3c60c.png' alt='untitled_

strange tales 95 would have been released January 62. that FF ad would have been out in between FFs 3 (released Dec 61) and 4 (released Feb 62).

Here's the ad for ASM #1 and TOS #39 from FF #13. That Detective Comics ad is awesome.

crfkh.jpg

To me it seems that FF13 & FF5 should get price bumps just for those full page ads of ASM 1, TOS 39, & Hulk 1. I love that the ads are in color.

Were those the only 2 comics that had those ads?

There are also several mentions of the hulk in strange tales 97, though that book is dated the month after hulk #1. There are things written in the margins like "who is the hulk", "you've never seen anything like the hulk", "on sale soon: the hulk". (There are also mentions for the fantastic four and amazing adult fantasy.)

I guess I should have mentioned hulk #1 also... I'm pretty sure there is a book with a nice hulk #1 ad but I forget which one.

FF5. Cover date July 62 (release date April 62, and Hulk 1 was released March 62)

In JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY 81 JUNE 1962. ATLAS MAGAZINES INC. there is an "ad" for the HULK...not the traditional picture of the book cover but the following margin notes...pretty cool...

Top Margin Notes through the book:

Page 4: “THE HULK IS COMING!”

Page 11: “THERE IS ONLY ONE HULK!”

Page 21: “WHAT IS THE SECRET OF THE HULK?”

Page 29: “THE HULK --- NOW ON SALE!”

In JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY 81 JUNE 1962. ATLAS MAGAZINES INC. there is an "ad" for the HULK...not the traditional picture of the book cover but the following margin notes...pretty cool...

Top Margin Notes through the book:

Page 4: “THE HULK IS COMING!”

Page 11: “THERE IS ONLY ONE HULK!”

Page 21: “WHAT IS THE SECRET OF THE HULK?”

Page 29: “THE HULK --- NOW ON SALE!”

good stuff! FF4 bottom margins also say similar ad lines.

I love these mega key ads, they take you right back to the day they were printed. :cloud9:

You can imagine someone thinking, "that looks interesting" and strolling down the drugstore with their 12c.

I love these mega key ads, they take you right back to the day they were printed. :cloud9:

You can imagine someone thinking, "that looks interesting" and strolling down the drugstore with their 12c.

Waitaminute! Books are now 12-cent??!! :o