• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unaltered Original Trilogy Release? Getting rid of the prequels!?

28 posts in this topic

I know It's Bleeding Cool and all, but I want this to happen sooooo badly.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/05/15/new-star-wars-rumors-include-original-trilogy-re-release-on-blu-rayvod-and-more/

And yes I know about all the legal stuff involved preventing this from actually happening, but just let me dream, okay? :cloud9:

BTW I've been saying for the longest time that they need to pretend the 'Lucas' prequels never happened and just remake Ep's I-III.

"According to an interesting e-mail we’ve intercepted, and which purports to come from within Disney’s marketing department, the studio are planning to re-release A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi on DVD/Blu-Ray/On Demand in their original form, without all the things George Lucas changed for the “Special Edition” releases back in 2004."

If they released the original New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi, unaltered theatrical releases on Blu-Ray....there wouldn't even be any thought process to it....I would literally just throw my credit card at them.

I didn't buy the last Bluray release because of the Lucas edits (seriously)

Because I knew this would happen and I'd be mad about buying the current version

+1

I did buy the unaltered DVDs when they were released a few years ago. The rub with those is that while they don't have Lucas' tweaks, they aren't digitally restored either.

It was Lucas' way of flipping the bird to those who refused to buy into his vision. 'Don't want my changes? Fine. Then you have to settle for sub-par picture quality.'

I'd definitely be on board for a Blu-ray release of the unaltered originals.

"According to an interesting e-mail we’ve intercepted, and which purports to come from within Disney’s marketing department, the studio are planning to re-release A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi on DVD/Blu-Ray/On Demand in their original form, without all the things George Lucas changed for the “Special Edition” releases back in 2004."

If they released the original New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi, unaltered theatrical releases on Blu-Ray....there wouldn't even be any thought process to it....I would literally just throw my credit card at them.

+1

:whee:

I did buy the unaltered DVDs when they were released a few years ago. The rub with those is that while they don't have Lucas' tweaks, they aren't digitally restored either.

It was Lucas' way of flipping the bird to those who refused to buy into his vision. 'Don't want my changes? Fine. Then you have to settle for sub-par picture quality.

Exactly....which is why I've never bought a single one of his DVDs or Blu-Rays.

Lucas can either stop being a jerk and produce what people want...or he can go fist himself.

Because I knew this would happen and I'd be mad about buying the current version

+1

It was Lucas' way of flipping the bird to those who refused to buy into his vision. 'Don't want my changes? Fine. Then you have to settle for sub-par picture quality.'

Agreed. I bought the unaltered DVDs. The picture quality is terrible and the sound isn't great either. I'm not even close to being obsessed with picture quality either. The movies didn't look bad on my old tube TV but when I upgraded to a 52 inch flat screen the films were unfortunately almost unwatchable. I didn't but the Blu Ray release because I already have the restored altered versions and as I mentioned the picture quality is not an obsession of mine so the DVD releases are acceptable quality but the edits make some of them unwatchable. People like to make fun of the Ewok song at the end of Jedi but his edits at the end of that film totally ruined the flow of the ending. I wish George Costanza dad would talk to him the way he did to Steinbrener. "You don't know what the hell you're doing!"

To my knowledge, they have not been released in Bluray in an unaltered state.

i wonder how he "aquired" those then

i'm guessing torrents

Nope. Guess again. I have a DVD set but no Blurays. I have them all saved on my DVR too when they came on FX.

+1

IIRC, they're basically ports of the laser disc versions. They're non-anamorphic versions of not better than DVD quality and were not remastered.

I actually thought this might be a strategy of Disney if they obtained the rights to the originals. Release a high dollar, remastered for Blu Ray set of the original trilogy.

9e9.gif

IIRC, the first few minutes of the star wars "unaltered" version actually is a transfer from film. (Just ANH - the rest are all just the laser disc ports.) In particular, the opening crawl of ANH doesn't contain the "episode 4" text, so it can't be from the laser disc. This was not done for the dvd release however, as they already had a good transfer of this that was used in the "empire of dreams" documentary.

Had to try to recall as I was on some home theater forums back then as well. From the Wookiepedia:

"Although fan reaction to the announcement of the DVDs was largely positive, upon release many fans felt that they had once again been cheated by George Lucas. The DVDs used non-anamorphic video sourced from the 1993 LaserDisc releases, which was nowhere near the same quality as the remastered versions of the films present in the 2004 boxset."

From what I understand from the Disney acquisition is that George Lucas no longer has control over this process so if the muckety-mucks at Disney decree an unaltered trilogy will happen, it will happen. They don't need George's consent/blessing to do this as he signed over full control.

From what I understand from the Disney acquisition is that George Lucas no longer has control over this process so if the muckety-mucks at Disney decree an unaltered trilogy will happen, it will happen. They don't need George's consent/blessing to do this as he signed over full control.

This is correct, however I will add that George is currently working as a consultant with Disney so they probably would not want to step on his toes by re-releasing without his blessing.