• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HULK 1 HELP ME DECIDE

10 posts in this topic

I am being offered a run of first 6 Hulks...the 1 is my dilemma.

Sorry for the bad image but I think you can see my problem even without a clear image.

As far as I'm being told the staples are still attached..there is no water damage, no tape, no restoration, the pages are OK but the back cover is missing lower bottom edge about 1" x 5".

The front you can see....

I've seen some pretty ugly .5 - 1.0 and even 1.8...and most recently a AF15 with large piece missing, not quite as large...and a little nicer overall with no back cover issues grade 2.0...SO WHAT IS THE GRADE HERE?

THANKS...really appreciate input.

Oh, one more thing...I have heard that CGC does not allow facsimile parts or front covers attached...for cosmetic reasons. Yet, I have seen full cover facsimiles on coverless books..not sure if they were grade NG....perhaps you can inform me if you have seen lower grade issues with parts or entire facsimile cover or cover parts.

Joe

One other two show you as well...a ASM1

IMG_4110_zps0b713372.jpg

I am being offered a run of first 6 Hulks...the 1 is my dilemma.

Sorry for the bad image but I think you can see my problem even without a clear image.

As far as I'm being told the staples are still attached..there is no water damage, no tape, no restoration, the pages are OK but the back cover is missing lower bottom edge about 1" x 5".

The front you can see....

I've seen some pretty ugly .5 - 1.0 and even 1.8...and most recently a AF15 with large piece missing, not quite as large...and a little nicer overall with no back cover issues grade 2.0...SO WHAT IS THE GRADE HERE?

THANKS...really appreciate input.

Oh, one more thing...I have heard that CGC does not allow facsimile parts or front covers attached...for cosmetic reasons. Yet, I have seen full cover facsimiles on coverless books..not sure if they were grade NG....perhaps you can inform me if you have seen lower grade issues with parts or entire facsimile cover or cover parts.

Joe

One other two show you as well...a ASM1

IMG_4110_zps0b713372.jpg

The book does look great except for that chunk on the lower right side as you mentioned. Low grade books are so hard to gauge, but in my humble opinion it would be a 1.5 CGC.

Any book you submit to CGC from here on out with a repro cover, or a detached cover will receive a blue label NG. It wasn't like this in the past, if I recall correctly it would be graded like normal with notes on the label. Someone chime in, I may be wrong.

Here's a thought that would help with presentation without restoration. What about, instead of having the corner actually replaced, why not get a good quality print of the entire front cover, and simply slip it in between the cover and first page? It won't line up perfectly because it will be loose, but it should be close enough so that the missing portion is not a glaring defect. If you make the printout yourself, once you have the book in hand you can adjust the repro image to get as close to the actual color of your copy as possible.

Since the repro portion is in no way attached to the book it is not restoration, simply a form of presentation enhancement, easily removed should that become desirable.

A couple of caveats though. I suspect CGC would not encapsulate a book in such a way, but it might be worth looking into. Maybe they include a note on the slab such as "unattached repro cover inserted beneath front cover" or something to that effect.

Also, the printed insert could possibly harm the original copy by way of ink migration or something like that, although at this grade level I doubt that would be of any consequence.

I'm sure more knowledgeable folks will point out some valid reasons why doing this is a terrible idea though.

I thought what you thought.

But CGC will not allow any form of facsimile. Even the insert page...for the reasons you stated. So I guess if I get it graded..it will remain as it is...

Thanks for your input....

Joe

For me it's a 1.0 - I suppose someone else may think 1.5, but really it's about what type of flaws you are comfortable with in a low grade book. If you decide you want it slabbed, what CGC puts in the corner should be of secondary importance.

Thanks...I just thought for personal reasons a facsimile replacement piece would be nicer than leaving it "as is"....

I've seen some pretty terrible 1.0....not sure if this is ugly enough..may stretch to a 1.5 ;)