• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cgc resub ... comes back with DETATCHED cover?!?!

54 posts in this topic

FF2 was a CGC 3.0 comes back 2.5 w DETATCHED cover!

FF3 was a CGC 3.0 comes back 2.5

These blow my mind. Was the cover even remotely detached to begin with?

no the cover was on in the 3.0 .... very upsetting

OKay, here's the big question. Did you submit them in the slabs ? If they were in the slabs, you have a legitimate complaint. If you cracked them out first, then sorry.

I submitted all books in the cases... which yes is even more frustrating

OKay, here's the big question. Did you submit them in the slabs ? If they were in the slabs, you have a legitimate complaint. If you cracked them out first, then sorry.

Also, was there any tape involved ? Tape removal can result in a detached cover.

no tape removal ? just submitted as "screen" press and dry clean

I recently subbed some books to CCS ... here's some of the highlights

the worst

FF2 was a CGC 3.0 comes back 2.5 w DETATCHED cover!

FF3 was a CGC 3.0 comes back 2.5

FF5 was PGX 4.5 came back CGC 3.0

JIM 85 PGX 5.0 came back cgc 4.0

the best

nova 1 PGX 9.6 comes back cgc 9.8

ASM 3 cgc purple label 7.5 came back 7.0 blue

marvel premier 15 was cgc 9.0 came back cgc 9.2

the break evens

FF1 cgc 2.5 came back a cgc 2.5

FF4 cgc 4.0 purple came back cgc 3.5 blue

Luke cage PGX 9.0 came back cgc 8.5

overall I was happy with their service but I don't know who to blame for that FF2 coming back with a detached cover... that's BS

This thread is fairly useless without you specifying what was done to the books by CCS (pressing, resto removal?) and how they were subbed (raw, still in their slabs?).

I thought it was fairly obvious that the books with purple labels had resto removed? no? the rest of the books were pressed and dry cleaned only

I put the before and afters on imgur.... I'll put more pics of any of the books you guys want to see just please let me know and looking for some advice how I should proceed? thanks all

If the FF#2 was delicate at the staples I would have not asked to press and/or clean it. Rather, I would have not bought it in the first place, or if so, I would have kept it raw and repaired the cover and replaced the rusty staples with period ones sourcing them from some equivalent Marvel book.

What’s the point in having a grade number on a CGC case if the book is delicate to begin with? After all is said and done, they are made to be read and must please you, not give you "numbers", and if so, buy them already slabbed and at the desired grade. This "regrading" thing is weird…

If the FF#2 was delicate at the staples I would have not asked to press and/or clean it. Rather, I would have not bought it in the first place, or if so, I would have kept it raw and repaired the cover and replaced the rusty staples with period ones sourcing them from some equivalent Marvel book.

What’s the point in having a grade number on a CGC case if the book is delicate to begin with? After all is said and done, they are made to be read and must please you, not give you "numbers", and if so, buy them already slabbed and at the desired grade. This "regrading" thing is weird…

I understand your view... but when you pay the $5 screen as a professional they should have said "hey this book shouldn't be cracked.... maybe we just take the $5 and leave it alone" .... no? I just feel like I put trust in people who put loyalty to the all mighty $

This type of thread irritates me. The OP is mad at CCS and posts about it here on the Boards. He gives us little to no information and then disappears.

It sounded like he expected every one of his resubs to be winners. Some were not and he is mad about it. I think I've seen this movie before.

if you don't like the thread then why did you chime in? lol I only have time once a day for the boards sorry I'm not waiting with baited breaths for you

I think we're overlooking the point that once again we have books moving between blue and purple labels here. I'm really starting to question the reliability of CGC. I can understand books changing grade slightly 5.0-5.5 type of thing, but resto to no resto is really something that should never be in question it should be a definitive yes or no, if there is any hint that a book may not have resto then it gets a blue label. Why doesn't cgc see it this way is my question?

I think we're overlooking the point that once again we have books moving between blue and purple labels here. I'm really starting to question the reliability of CGC. I can understand books changing grade slightly 5.0-5.5 type of thing, but resto to no resto is really something that should never be in question it should be a definitive yes or no, if there is any hint that a book may not have resto then it gets a blue label. Why doesn't cgc see it this way is my question?

restoration removal was removing tear seals ... the day CGC allowed green labels was the day everything changed because green labels or BS

I think you're overlooking the point that the OP had the resto removed :gossip:

This type of thread irritates me. The OP is mad at CCS and posts about it here on the Boards. He gives us little to no information and then disappears.

It sounded like he expected every one of his resubs to be winners. Some were not and he is mad about it. I think I've seen this movie before.

if you don't like the thread then why did you chime in? lol I only have time once a day for the boards sorry I'm not waiting with baited breaths for you

You are right and I do, sincerely apologize for my late night comments. Now that you have responded with more info I, once again, agree with you. You have a legitimate complaint. You are paying for their advice, not just the service. I don't know the policy of CCS but I would suggest the right thing to do would be to give back your payment on the book that ultimately got a detached cover.

You are right and I do, sincerely apologize for my late night comments. Now that you have responded with more info I, once again, agree with you. You have a legitimate complaint. You are paying for their advice, not just the service. I don't know the policy of CCS but I would suggest the right thing to do would be to give back your payment on the book that ultimately got a detached cover.

+1. CPR always involves some risk - risk of grades going the wrong way or not improving. But it's my understanding that when you pay CCS to screen the book, one of the things paid for is their opinion of if it is safe to press.

The real detail that is makes it hard to determine is what I said before. CGC's resto check puts strain on weak staples as well. They have to open the book up really flat looking for tiny bits of glue, tear seals. tape or rice paper at the staples on every page of the book. So the staple could have come loose at the pressing stage or the resto check or even grading stage. If a staple is barely hanging on, every time the book is opened brings a risk.

Look at paper quality around the staple. Never should have been cracked out to be pressed/reslabed. Clearly a gamble.

The fair thing for CCS to do is refund the fees associated with that one book. I bet if the OP asks they would do so.

thanks man ? I think that's what I'm going to do.... I just sent them 4 more books to remove the resto on... I'm not too excited about there pressing but removing resto they are awesome... to only lose 1 grade and get blue label is outstanding