• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you had to choose only three, what would they be?

71 posts in this topic

Updated through 44 responses. Maybe I will clean this up into a better format for presentation, but happy to keep updating if everyone finds it interesting as well.

While I guess its not surprising given the popularity - I didn't realize how many people consider WD one of their top three books. Also, happy to see that Image is just straight dominating - further reinforcing that they are putting out some of the best books right now.

I wonder if Saga would have even more responses if we weren't right at the end of a hiatus. I am also wondering if the new direction for WD has really reinvigorated some enthusiasm for the book. Either way, I hope we can keep filling out responses on this, love the cross section of what every views as their core books.

BSwgBHT.png

Updated through 44 responses. Maybe I will clean this up into a better format for presentation, but happy to keep updating if everyone finds it interesting as well.

While I guess its not surprising given the popularity - I didn't realize how many people consider WD one of their top three books. Also, happy to see that Image is just straight dominating - further reinforcing that they are putting out some of the best books right now.

I wonder if Saga would have even more responses if we weren't right at the end of a hiatus. I am also wondering if the new direction for WD has really reinvigorated some enthusiasm for the book. Either way, I hope we can keep filling out responses on this, love the cross section of what every views as their core books.

BSwgBHT.png

By all means, keep up the good work and the new direction is exactly what put TWD in my top three.

Let's see if I can't solve the issue I was having with direct linking the image. Here is updated through 38 responses.

04ece6Y.png

Wow, awesome! Thanks for taking the time to sort through everything and work up a chart. Anyone surprised by the tally so far? The first two don't surprise me but Manifest Destiny coming in third is a little surprising. I've only read one issue so far and it was good but I wasn't expecting it to be this high. I was expecting EOW in that spot.

Yes, I was expecting the same thing on this site. I knew that we were outside the mainstream but based on the results, we are further out than I expected. Batman being tied with the Sixth Gun was my first clue. lol

Yeah, some of these titles like Mind MGMT, Rachel Rising, Clone, to name a few, I've never heard of before but find really interesting as I research them. Then there are others like Manifest Destiny, Black Science, Ghosted that I'm revisiting because people are so high on them.

ONLY THREE?!?!? OK, I'll give it a shot...

1) Sex Criminals

Not everyone's cup of tea on this board, but it's sharply written, the art fits perfectly, and even the letters section is absolute gold.

2) A Voice in the Dark

A brilliant series that captures a young woman's struggle to suppress her dark urges within the emotional turbulence of college life. The first TPB will be out soon, so pick it up when you get the chance!

3) Revival

WHAAAAT?!?! NO SAGA???? NO EAST OF WEST?!?!?

Saga, East of West, Revival were neck-and-neck, all firmly planted at the top of my read pile. Now, I love East of West; it's epic, it's characters are unique, and layered, and Dragotta's artwork is exquisite but a casual read it's not. It takes a bit more brain power, a little more attention to decipher Hickman's story, which can be fun when I'm in the mood. So that's out.

That leaves Saga & Revival. BKV's writing is sharp, funny, and poignant, and Fiona Staples's art is sublimely efficient in bringing out the story without needless clutter. However, those 3-4 month breaks hinders the story's momentum.

Revival, however, has never been on a break longer than a month, and so its consistency wins my 3rd spot. I love the premise of how society would react if some people couldn't die, and all the fear, the joy, the cruelty, and the scrutiny that goes with it. Tim Seeley knows how to create rich, grounded, flawed characters that seem right at home in a small Wisconsin town. I'm also impressed with how Seeley's built a multicultural cast without it feeling superficial or token. Norton's art is colorful and vibrant while keeping with the Midwestern vibe. And Jenny Frison's covers are just magnificent (#16 & #20 are my personal favorite covers).