• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Won't Stan Lee Sign?

51 posts in this topic

I'm curious. When Stan stops signing what impact will this have on CGC? I mean the vast majority of Sig Series Marvel's are Stan sigs, how will this affect CGC's bottom line? Price hike for us?

The vast majority of Mar el are not Stan. (thumbs u

Marvel, maybe not, Sigs submitted I would say are his, no one cranks out as many as he does at a con and he is definitely the king of books submitted with his name on it. He is also drives in a lot of business to cons he attends, a big void will be felt for a while. Hopefully, another name helps bring in younger people.

If he isn't the majority of Marvel which we seem to agree then he can't be the majority of all SS. Mathematical impossibility. (thumbs u

I'm curious. When Stan stops signing what impact will this have on CGC? I mean the vast majority of Sig Series Marvel's are Stan sigs, how will this affect CGC's bottom line? Price hike for us?

In regards to people subbing their books for CGC SS, it may take a hit initially. I'm not sure if that part of their business will recover, but it may fuel multi sig books with Stan's sig or hopefully lead to a new cheaper price restructuring to encourage submissions. It is an interesting question, that could benefit from more input on those in the know.

I very much doubt the vast majority of SS marvel books are signed by Stan.

Anyway, whilst he does sign a lot of books, there are plenty of modern creators whose presence already guarantees short-boxes full of SS submissions for CGC - Jim Lee & Robert Kirkman spring to mind - and I'm sure there'll be new names in the future to step into this vacuum.

The people who'll really hurt from this are the facilitators who generate most of their revenue from the Stan Lee signings - when that golden goose is gone, so is a large part of their income.

I would love to see a stat comparing the 3 at the same con and see which person has the most books submitted for CGC SS. I know on eBay, Stan is the king in terms of books with his name on it.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that Stan Lee has probably signed the most SS books of any creator - but that doesn't mean the majority of SS books (or Marvel SS books, for that matter) are signed by Stan Lee.

Take the Batman #1 (DC new 52), for instance - there are more than 700 SS copies in the census currently. I think it's safe to say that Lee didn't sign many of those.

People vastly underestimate how many CGC SS books are actually subbed at any of the larger shows - all they see are a boat-load of Lee SS books on eBay which leads to the incorrect assumption that he's somehow responsible for the majority of the CGC SS books in existence. That just isn't the case :thumbsup:

This.

I understand that he gets paid but he is quite literally selling out. This is so unbelievably sad and frustrating to me not as a collector, but rather a fan. He needs an intervention. Honestly don't know if I should be sad because this is what he was become, or angry because of the level or nonsense.

I see this in a different way. I see him actually doing a service to his fans, both present and future. He knows that a lot of the books he signs go to CGC SS and then straight to eBay (do not pass go, do not collect $200) with some crazy marked up price on it.

When he eventually passes, the price for things with his signature on them will obviously increase.

By him signing anything and everything, he's getting his signature out to as many people as possible to actually DEcrease its rareness and thus it's re-sale value (part of the 'value' of a signature being it's rarity).

If everyone that wanted a Stan Lee sig already had one (whether on a comic, a baseball, or 50 Shades of Grey), and there's still plenty of stuff out there with his sig on it, people that still want one are less likely to get gouged by some individual_without_enough_empathy, and any person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed sitting on slabs waiting for him to die will eat it when they realize the market isn't what they were hoping it'd be.

So, I'm all for Stan Lee signing everything that comes his way. (thumbs u

Make that signature ridiculously common so that the average fan can continue to have the opportunity to get one for a reasonable price.

I understand that he gets paid but he is quite literally selling out. This is so unbelievably sad and frustrating to me not as a collector, but rather a fan. He needs an intervention. Honestly don't know if I should be sad because this is what he was become, or angry because of the level or nonsense.

I see this in a different way. I see him actually doing a service to his fans, both present and future. He knows that a lot of the books he signs go to CGC SS and then straight to eBay (do not pass go, do not collect $200) with some crazy marked up price on it.

When he eventually passes, the price for things with his signature on them will obviously increase.

By him signing anything and everything, he's getting his signature out to as many people as possible to actually DEcrease its rareness and thus it's re-sale value (part of the 'value' of a signature being it's rarity).

If everyone that wanted a Stan Lee sig already had one (whether on a comic, a baseball, or 50 Shades of Grey), and there's still plenty of stuff out there with his sig on it, people that still want one are less likely to get gouged by some individual_without_enough_empathy, and any person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed sitting on slabs waiting for him to die will eat it when they realize the market isn't what they were hoping it'd be.

Make that signature ridiculously common so that the average fan can continue to have the opportunity to get one for a reasonable price.

If that were the case he wouldn't be charging $100 per sig.

Why not?

50shadesStan_zps4b095bc1.jpg

BWA-HA-HA-HAAA.......

:roflmao:

-slym

Hey, now. Fifty shades of grey is the color of Stan's mustache.

If that were the case he wouldn't be charging $100 per sig.

I thought he charged $50

I think that is what he is charging in Sydney next month

Imagine if there were only 10 copies of AF15 not signed by stan lee

They'd be worth a lot