• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A fresh bag and board makes all the difference...

44 posts in this topic

What about buying a book stated NM and it shows up in a bag that has a sticker on it that says VF.

I had a seller, not here, tell me he was just reusing an old bag. lol

If i get a comic in a used bag and board I usually just incinerate the whole thing.

I'll collect all the packing material and have it shredded so there's no evidence.

Then I go to the mail box and burn it to the ground.

I'll then delete all history of me ever buying the book; emails, paypal receipts, payment history, PMs etc.

if it was the wrong/old bag I'll also go back and eliminate the mail carrier who handled the package, and the seller who originally sent it.

if it was a really old bag/board I may visit the writer/creator just to sanitize everything from the source.

then I'll burn all the clothes/gloves I wore when performing these tasks, take a really hot shower with bleach, scrub my body with a wire brush, wash the shower with bleach and lye, move out of the house, relocate to a different city and change my name.

but that might just be the OCD talking.

If i get a comic in a used bag and board I usually just incinerate the whole thing.

I'll collect all the packing material and have it shredded so there's no evidence.

Then I go to the mail box and burn it to the ground.

I'll then delete all history of me ever buying the book; emails, paypal receipts, payment history, PMs etc.

if it was the wrong/old bag I'll also go back and eliminate the mail carrier who handled the package, and the seller who originally sent it.

if it was a really old bag/board I may visit the writer/creator just to sanitize everything from the source.

then I'll burn all the clothes/gloves I wore when performing these tasks, take a really hot shower with bleach, scrub my body with a wire brush, wash the shower with bleach and lye, move out of the house, relocate to a different city and change my name.

but that might just be the OCD talking.

:roflmao:

Thanks for the tips, I am gonna try that :insane:

When I get a comic in the mail -- regardless of its grade or how close the real grade is to the seller's grade -- I always seem a little less happy when the seller doesn't put it in a new bag/board.

Why am I such a baby? Why does it matter?

I need to get over this.

(This is your OCD post for the day.)

When I get a comic in the mail.....I always put it in a new bag and board....even if it comes in a better bag and board then I use. (shrug)lol

Same here. The height of OCD lol

When I get a comic in the mail -- regardless of its grade or how close the real grade is to the seller's grade -- I always seem a little less happy when the seller doesn't put it in a new bag/board.

I need to get over this.

Back in my day :preach: a "fresh bag and board" referred to the burlap sack placed over your head and the 2x4 you were then beaten with.

So I am good without them.

I need to get over this.

Back in my day :preach: a "fresh bag and board" referred to the burlap sack placed over your head and the 2x4 you were then beaten with.

So I am good without them.

lol

I generally do that also, even if they're new bags. Some sellers also don't use the correct side of the board. Generally I switch them out to put in mylites2.

I'm curious, what do you consider the "correct" side of the board? I've seen stores use both.

I generally do that also, even if they're new bags. Some sellers also don't use the correct side of the board. Generally I switch them out to put in mylites2.

I'm curious, what do you consider the "correct" side of the board? I've seen stores use both.

I would guess the glossier side, if talking about the "archival" (not really) typical backer boards. Though not archival, if the book has been kept decently in a closed box, cool environment the book itself should be OK. I've noticed (on more modern books stored this way) a bit of transfer/discoloration/aging to the board itself; however the book (luckily) appears a-ok in spite of this.

I put all my comics in Mylite 2s with an acid free board, so it doesn't matter to me too much, but if the comic cost much over $20.00, a fresh bag and board is certainly appreciated. It also creates the impression that the seller cared enough to make the book look as nice as possible. For inexpensive books though, I wouldn't want the seller to spend the extra money for something that is going in the trash anyway.

I need to get over this.

Most collectors i know, myself included, throw out the bag and board the book comes in even if it's new or the exact same bag and board. So its a waste of a new bag and board.

On coated SBS boards the coating of Calcium Carbonate (the only acid absorbing part of the SBS board) is glossy. However, it doesn't stay alkaline for long, which is why the major manufacturer's recommend changing them out regularly.

On coated SBS boards the coating of Calcium Carbonate (the only acid absorbing part of the SBS board) is glossy. However, it doesn't stay alkaline for long, which is why the major manufacturer's recommend changing them out regularly.

Here is mschmidt, "are acid-free backing boards truly acid free" epic thread.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4534727&fpart=1

and yes, I'm referring to the glossy side. thanks grinin.

I'm really surprised by how many people don't know the coated side is the glossy side, which is true of most SBS boards.

How do you tape the bag shut? And also what's the best way to put the lid back on the comic box? Thanks, I'll hang up now and listen to your reply.

tape and bags, there are many different ways, the best way is the way that does not lead to tape pulls.

I'm just curious, what is the correct way to put the lid back on the comic box according to you?

How do you tape the bag shut? And also what's the best way to put the lid back on the comic box? Thanks, I'll hang up now and listen to your reply.

tape and bags, there are many different ways, the best way is the way that does not lead to tape pulls.

I'm just curious, what is the correct way to put the lid back on the comic box according to you?

I've tried many methods over the years. I just can't seem to get it right.

:gossip: hint: pull the book out with the board when removing from the bag. You can pull the tape off the bag or roll the flap back onto the cover and tape onto the bag to keep the tape out of the way.

The reason you pull the book and board out together is to prevent to book from folding onto itself. And if you are not going to remove the book with the board, than you can curl the comic ever to slightly vertically to add some stiffness to the spine, so that the spine doesn't want to bend and create creases.

:gossip: hint: pull the book out with the board when removing from the bag. You can pull the tape off the bag or roll the flap back onto the cover and tape onto the bag to keep the tape out of the way.

The reason you pull the book and board out together is to prevent to book from folding onto itself. And if you are not going to remove the book with the board, than you can curl the comic ever to slightly vertically to add some stiffness to the spine, so that the spine doesn't want to bend and create creases.

Thanks. I was cutting the top off the bag with scissors and then shaking the bag upside down till the comic fell out onto the table (sometimes the floor).

Thanks. I was cutting the top off the bag with scissors and then shaking the bag upside down till the comic fell out onto the table (sometimes the floor).

everybody got to be a comedian,

well, you can't bait me into some inane argument, that was me yesterday, today I'm a changed man.

Peace out my mother loving brother.