• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
26 26

6,508 posts in this topic

On 7/25/2024 at 12:10 AM, OtherEric said:

I've got a few variants on the way, and my store should have pulled the basic book for me.  I'll have thoughts this weekend when I finally get my hands on a copy.

IMG_3856.thumb.jpeg.397f9b857d72ce6d4467f97a2cec94cf.jpeg

Well after reading, my first impression is that they gave it a good try for their premier issue. I was not blown away with any particular story but they did intertwine some social issues as did classic EC. I can respect this effort as I can see they really thought about the content. The artwork varied in quality with the first story being the weakest for me. The Family Values story had an EC type twist at the end that was rather nice. I’d give this a C+ grade. So above average enough that I will get a second issue…

Made the trip to the LCS for this today. Just grabbed the standard issue without looking at it.

My impression is that they gave it a lot of thought and the original flavor of the original stories. Although, I wasn’t overly impressed. A bit of the horror as well as the shock titles. The overly political slant trying to be relevant. Frankly, the last story was a little stupid and insulting.

Art wise, I liked the cover art as well as the Gravedigger intro page. The rest was at best abysimal. Verging on cartoony.

A bit of a money grab though. At $5. and numerous “variants” starting at $7. on up, is just sucker mentally.

I will also give it a C. Not enough to come back unless they do a graphic novel reprint. I will also grab the sci fi issue just to be fair.

On the bright side, I grabbed some needed supplies while I was there…

On 7/25/2024 at 10:49 AM, Robot Man said:

On the bright side, I grabbed some needed supplies while I was there…

Funny enough, so did I. Bags & boards for comics and magazines…(thumbsu

On 7/25/2024 at 7:23 AM, Jayman said:

My question is, when did Corben create this? It has to be old artwork that is just now being used again (?) ???

I've seen the pic on sites talking about Angoulême 2019 using the image, but it could have been created even before that, so I'm not sure.  I hadn't even thought of that, tbh.

On 7/27/2024 at 1:11 PM, OtherEric said:

I think the biggest problem for me is that they didn't really use a host, other than to introduce the issue as a whole.

My guess is that they know they are treading on hallow grounds here. Many diehard EC fans were already up in arms just with reviving the line. If they pushed the “new” hosts on us too soon, it could create a backlash. I’m thinking their plan is to get us hooked with the stories then ease in the hosts, possibly one at a time. 2c

On 7/27/2024 at 9:10 PM, Hap Hazard said:

Variant cover for the SDCC panel  Corben cover

Epitaphs from the  Abyss Fan Addict edition.jpg

It’s looking to me like this is going to be the rarest variant on the issue, did they announce the print run?  Only 4 copies have hit eBay that I’ve seen.

On 7/29/2024 at 1:42 PM, Mmehdy said:

B....soild B...great covers and outstanding printing....as I said on the other thread, give them a chance, especially SC-FI one

I'm looking forward to the SF book, and the one they just announced... Cruel Kingdom... actually sounds pretty incredible to me.  EC style high fantasy seems like a solid idea that we haven't seen before.

On 7/29/2024 at 5:46 PM, KirbyJack said:

I promise I will eventually read my copy. 

Join the fun, read it soon! I’d love to hear what you think. (thumbsu

On 7/27/2024 at 1:11 PM, OtherEric said:

I think the biggest problem for me is that they didn't really use a host, other than to introduce the issue as a whole.  A lot of the rhythm and humor of the EC horror came from the intro and outro to the stories,  and not having that makes them feel less EC-like.  

Excellent point!

I actually just realized... the first appearance of two of the three new Hosts is going to be that 1:100 variant, which I find deeply annoying.

And my package from MCS with an actual EC has taken nearly two weeks so far, thanks to what UPS is calling "mechanical delays", which I also find deeply annoying.  I just hope it's OK when it gets here, even if I know MCS will make me whole if it's not.

On 7/29/2024 at 9:22 PM, OtherEric said:

I actually just realized... the first appearance of two of the three new Hosts is going to be that 1:100 variant, which I find deeply annoying.

Technically you are correct, but they are on the cover only. They are definitely not in or hosting any stories in the book. I’ll be looking forward to the first appearance of them actually introducing a story. 

On 7/29/2024 at 8:22 PM, OtherEric said:

And my package from MCS with an actual EC has taken nearly two weeks so far, thanks to what UPS is calling "mechanical delays", which I also find deeply annoying.  I just hope it's OK when it gets here, even if I know MCS will make me whole if it's not.

My package from MidTown Comics was also delayed due to "mechanical delays".  So I have to spend around $6 to forward it to a UPS Store because of their screw up, of course, otherwise they may deliver it to my porch when I'm not there and I'd have it stolen.  Odd thing is, when I call UPS they say "there's no signature required", but when I look online at the status, it says signature required.  I'm of the opinion nothing works in this world anymore. lol.  I suppose I shouldn't complain much since my order from 4 weeks ago at Comic Connect is still waiting to ship.

The only reason I wanted the 1:100 variant is because all 3 hosts are on the cover.  I'm not a huge fan of The Grim Inquisitor (too mundane-looking) or The Tormentor (looks like they dragged Lucille Ball out of her grave), but The Grave-Digger looks pretty awesome.