• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
26 26

6,380 posts in this topic

In my opinion, his collection should be noted on the label. He is, one of the “founding fathers” of EC fandom. CGC seems to be a bit hesitant to label some books from collectors on their labels unless they were creators. Jon Berk and Nicholas Cage are some that come to mind as well as a few others. I guess it depends who submits and how many books are submitted.

A sad example of omission a few years ago were Jerry Garcia’s EC collection. They were sold raw by a large auction house. The buyers tried to get CGC to recognize them and when they wouldn’t the buyers went to the “other” grading company to have it done.

I was going to submit my EC annuals a few years ago but wanted the contents listed on the labels. My TOT #1 has 3 first horror issues and one 2nd Sci Fi issue. Since contents are totally random, I felt this made my copy a bit unique. I didn’t want to lose the importance to me in a slab. I was told no. Since that time, apparently Jim Halperin was able to “convince” them to do so. I was so turned off that I have yet to submit them. 

On 5/8/2024 at 4:43 PM, Telegan said:

On the covers of any of your Canadian versions, does it say "CDL" on them?

I believe most of mine do. Although they are fairly substandard printing wise, and obviously worth less than the US versions. They are a lot scarcer though. The “Weird Suspenstories” issues are very rare and bring big money on the rare occasions they turn up. 

On 5/8/2024 at 7:58 PM, Robot Man said:

I believe most of mine do. Although they are fairly substandard printing wise, and obviously worth less than the US versions. They are a lot scarcer though. The “Weird Suspenstories” issues are very rare and bring big money on the rare occasions they turn up. 

Yeah, I posted an auction result from Heritage in another thread that surprised me for a faded cover that went way higher than I thought it would, so I was trying to figure out why they would pay so much when I realized it was a Canadian copy, but there was no notation of it being a Canadian version on the slab unless I missed it.  The auction description showed that it was Canadian.  So that's when I tried to figure out what was different about it and noticed the "CDL".  I then found this other thread on the forums which enlightened me a bit more.

Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2024 at 5:09 PM, Telegan said:

Do you know what grade his was?  I see this one in auction #7374 which, I think is the auction of his items based up on this link.  Unlike other lots, though, the Tales of Terror Annual #1 lot doesn't say "From the Roger Hill Collection" in the description, so you probably won't get it if you just search for "Roger Hill".  So I don't know if that's really from his collection or not.

That’s definitely not his. CGC now lists the contents of the EC annuals on the label and based on the CGC number on that label, that was slabbed years ago.

Edited by Ghastly542454

Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2024 at 3:04 PM, Ghastly542454 said:

@Mmehdy are you saying Roger’s Tales Of Terror Annual #1 is up on Heritage now? I looked and couldn’t find it.

Auction 40273...its up there along with ALL the annuals...its trickly you have to hit all auction under comics and then VIEW ALL...page three of four..... 1-5.0, 2-8.0, and 3-8.5. WSF 1-6.5, 2 is 5.5 , TFT etc

Edited by Mmehdy

On 5/8/2024 at 9:39 PM, Mmehdy said:

Auction 40273...its up there along with ALL the annuals...its trickly you have to hit all auction under comics and then VIEW ALL...page three of four.....

Can you provide a link? I’m not finding it when I type in that number.

Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2024 at 9:43 PM, Ghastly542454 said:

Can you provide a link? I’m not finding it when I type in that number.

ok try this go to Ha.com and hit comics....then click load more at the bottom of the list of auctions...then LOL click VIEW ALL on that bottom... more auctions will come up go to AUG 22 roger hill EC collection and page 3 and bingo!!!!

PS 286 items  listed and going up

Edited by Mmehdy

On 5/8/2024 at 9:46 PM, Mmehdy said:

ok try this go to Ha.com and hit comics....then click load more at the bottom of the list of auctions...then LOL click VIEW ALL on that bottom... more auctions will come up go to AUG 22 roger hill EC collection and page 3 and bingo!!!!

Ok I found it. CGC graded it a 5.0 with moderate restoration. The TOT Annual #2 though is a Universal 8.0!!!

IMG_8709.jpeg

On 5/10/2024 at 11:06 AM, Ghastly542454 said:

I just received my Weird Science #17 from the Pacole Collection back from CGC today in an updated holder. When I sent it in, I made a request that they add Used in “Parade Of Pleasure “ on the label and supplied them with several pieces of back-up information. I am happy to share that CGC granted my request. 
I found this issue to be very difficult to find in nice condition. 
There is a 7.0 coming up at auction from Heritage in August from the Roger Hill Collection. Unfortunately, it won’t have the Used in “Parade Of Pleasure” on the label as it was graded previously to my request.

IMG_8720.jpeg

IMG_8721.jpeg

I’ve never heard of the “Pacole Collection”. Is this a new one?

Also this was used as an illustration in Seduction of the Innocent as noted on my humble Al Williamson copy above. I wasn’t aware that it was also used in Parade of Pleasure. I might be wrong and it could be used in both. Overstreet lists it as SOTI but not POP.

You might be sending this in for another reholder.

@SOTIcollector

On 5/10/2024 at 2:05 PM, Robot Man said:

Also this was used as an illustration in Seduction of the Innocent as noted on my humble Al Williamson copy above. I wasn’t aware that it was also used in Parade of Pleasure. I might be wrong and it could be used in both. Overstreet lists it as SOTI but not POP.

@SOTIcollector

There were a bunch of them not long ago on a Comic Connect auction along with a bunch of Bobby Blue collection comics.  You can read a bit about him here.

On 5/10/2024 at 12:05 PM, Robot Man said:

@SOTIcollector

I think you got your WS #19 confused with my WS #17. They both have purple covers.

Posted (edited)
On 5/10/2024 at 2:05 PM, Robot Man said:

Click on that diagonal arrow up there in the right hand corner of that link box thing...

One of the titles his collection was most "famous" for was his graded Sugar & Spike run :headbang:

Edited by EC ed

On 5/9/2024 at 12:46 AM, Mmehdy said:

https://comics.ha.com/c/search/results.zx?dept=1938&mode=live&auction_name=40273

(I think this it it)

On 5/10/2024 at 8:54 PM, fifties said:

Well not to break up the happy little gathering above, LOL, but I finally got the last of the trio in today.  Request admission into The Crypt Of Terror run group.

The Crypt Of Terror run.jpg

I can't judge the application because I'm not a member myself, but is this one also required?

Three_Dimensional_2.jpg