• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

There are over 1400 9.8 New Mutants 98

100 posts in this topic

I do not own a 9.8 New Mutants 98 but wish I did (I have 2 lower graded ones)....Although I like the Deadpool character I do not LOVE the Deadpool character...with that being said it's a no brainer that Deadpool and Harley Quinn are the two biggest characters to come out of the past 20-30 years.

They will be a part of pop culture for decades to come and as the younger generations mature these will continue to be key books.

I will be investing in both New Mutants 98 and BA 12 because I feel these 2 books bring the most potential moving forward (outside of DC & Marvel Silver Age of course)

Agreed. Although NM 98 is a true first appearance, but alas, BA 12 is not. I do believe that will hinder that book in the long run.

-J.

Also, your sig line should be longer.

I can do such a thing, it's still 6 days until Memorial day, perhaps a nice United States flag waving in the distance. hm

It is a wee bit lengthy.......

but can't argue with your rebuttal, your heart is in the right place.

(I'd buy a 9.6 or start subbing and or prescreening)

According to the census. I guess I am the only person without one, and I just don't get it, Deadpool has always came across to me as a combination of Wolverine, The Punisher and Spider-Man.

I sure don't understand how the price has maintained around 400 dollars or so for as long as it has, but that is one of the joys of this hobby, you can never figure it out, when you think you have it, it proves you wrong.

I do find it distressing that some of the books I would like a 9.8 copy of are very few and far between, Captain America 217 is one of those, with only 5 copies out there, if and when Quasar makes his big screen debut those 5 will be going for thousands, then the dust will die down and they will be worth a nickel again.

Do you think the market is going to make a correction on graded books in the near future or am I going to have to pay around 400 bucks for a first Deadpool if I want one in the next couple of years?

This is definitely a book worth owning if you like the character.

I wouldn't quite compare NM 98 to a super tough 9.8 bronze key..

those tough 9.8 bronze keys are in a different ballpark.

took me 3 years to find a Ms Marvel 18 in 9.8!!!!!

that was before the hype!!!

I do not own a 9.8 New Mutants 98 but wish I did (I have 2 lower graded ones)....Although I like the Deadpool character I do not LOVE the Deadpool character...with that being said it's a no brainer that Deadpool and Harley Quinn are the two biggest characters to come out of the past 20-30 years.

They will be a part of pop culture for decades to come and as the younger generations mature these will continue to be key books.

I will be investing in both New Mutants 98 and BA 12 because I feel these 2 books bring the most potential moving forward (outside of DC & Marvel Silver Age of course)

I beg to differ,and think Hellboy is the most successful character to come out in the last 30 years.

I beg to differ,and think Hellboy is the most successful character to come out in the last 30 years.

don't forget TMNT!

TMNT

Hellboy

Harley Quinn

Deadpool

Agreed. Although NM 98 is a true first appearance, but alas, BA 12 is not. I do believe that will hinder that book in the long run.

-J.

Whether it's "first appearance in a comic" or "first appearance in the DC universe proper" the market has already spoken and they (as a collective) don't seem to care about splitting the hairs.

The fact that Harley was first introduced in cartoon form is what helps cement BA12 as the go to Harley book (because the cartoon is consistent with the animated stylings of the Batman Adventure line).

90 day GPA average for a 9.8

BA12 = $666

Batman:Harley Quinn OGN = $251

Batman 570: $46

So when faced with choosing between 1st comic book appearance (BA12), 1st in continuity appearance (B:HQ OGN) or 1st appearance in an in continuity comic book (Batman 570), the overwhelming choice by the market is BA12

Its like the IH180/181 argument. Sure Wolverine first appears in IH180, but the market has shown that it cares MOST about IH181, so that's what matters.

You could have made the exact same statment about IH180/181 back in the 80s (as in "The fact that IH181 is not Wolverines true first appearance will hinder the books in the long run") and that would not have held up.

I think there's enough evidence on BA12s performance so far that we can say it's growth will only be affected by the level of popularity that Harley maintains in comic books and general pop culture.

-J.

Whether it's "first appearance in a comic" or "first appearance in the DC universe proper" the market has already spoken and they (as a collective) don't seem to care about splitting the hairs.

The fact that Harley was first introduced in cartoon form is what helps cement BA12 as the go to Harley book (because the cartoon is consistent with the animated stylings of the Batman Adventure line).

BA12 = $666

So when faced with choosing between 1st comic book appearance (BA12), 1st in continuity appearance (B:HQ OGN) or 1st appearance in an in continuity comic book (Batman 570), the overwhelming choice by the market is BA12

Its like the IH180/181 argument. Sure Wolverine first appears in IH180, but the market has shown that it cares MOST about IH181, so that's what matters.

You could have made the exact same statment about IH180/181 back in the 80s (as in "The fact that IH181 is not Wolverines true first appearance will hinder the books in the long run") and that would not have held up.

I think there's enough evidence on BA12s performance so far that we can say it's growth will only be affected by the level of popularity that Harley maintains in comic books and general pop culture.

Respectfully, the hulk 180/181 analogy is not entirely applicable in that regardless of whether or not the hobby values his first "full appearance" more than a "cameo", is not the same as the first appearance of a cartoon character in a comic book. A better analogy would be transformers #1. The first appearance of the transformers in a comic book. Basically a very inexpensive book in a 9.8, even with all the toys and movies. I think when Harley became popular people wanted to find a book to go after that featured her early comic book appearance. BA 12 is obviously the best anyone could come up with. But regardless of what it is currently selling for, I give NM 98 the definite edge in importance because it actually is the first appearance of deadpool, and not just some cartoon character retconned for the first time into a comic book.

-J.

-J.

BA12 = $666

Respectfully, the hulk 180/181 analogy is not entirely applicable in that regardless of whether or not the hobby values his first "full appearance" more than a "cameo", is not the same as the first appearance of a cartoon character in a comic book. A better analogy would be transformers #1. The first appearance of the transformers in a comic book. Basically a very inexpensive book in a 9.8, even with all the toys and movies. I think when Harley became popular people wanted to find a book to go after that featured her early comic book appearance. BA 12 is obviously the best anyone could come up with. But regardless of what it is currently selling for, I give NM 98 the definite edge in importance because it actually is the first appearance of deadpool, and not just some cartoon character retconned for the first time into a comic book.

-J.

respectfully I only think Transformers #1 would work as a better analogy would be if Optimus Prime was later brought into the Marvel Universe and became a member of the Avengers, gained widespread marvel comics fandom and was the obsession of lots of cosplay/con/comic book fans (and yes I know there was a Transformers vs Avengers mini a few years back, but that wasnt in continuity).

Harley was a DC Animated character that was included in that Animated shows DC comic book line, who was then brought into "proper" continuity by showing up in the mainstream Batman titles. She never existed outside of DC (unlike Transformers, which existed on their own, in their own universe, in their own continuity for decades), so it's not like they are trying to shoehorn in My Little Pony. Harley is a DC character who got popular in her original animated format so she moved into the main universe to continue to grow. DC has many animated titles right now (Teen Titans, Justice League) so I imagine something like this could happen again...

-J.

BA12 = $666

-J.

respectfully I only think Transformers #1 would work as a better analogy would be if Optimus Prime was later brought into the Marvel Universe and became a member of the Avengers, gained widespread marvel comics fandom and was the obsession of lots of cosplay/con/comic book fans (and yes I know there was a Transformers vs Avengers mini a few years back, but that wasnt in continuity).

Harley was a DC Animated character that was included in that Animated shows DC comic book line, who was then brought into "proper" continuity by showing up in the mainstream Batman titles. She never existed outside of DC (unlike Transformers, which existed on their own, in their own universe, in their own continuity for decades), so it's not like they are trying to shoehorn in My Little Pony. Harley is a DC character who got popular in her original animated format so she moved into the main universe to continue to grow. DC has many animated titles right now (Teen Titans, Justice League) so I imagine something like this could happen again...

I agree with everything you just said for the most part. But I still stand by my assertion that BA 12 is a weak example of a character's "first appearance". As much as I like harley we just have to accept that there is no real first appearance of her that will ever exist in a comic, and that's why it is not on par with a NM 9.8.

-J.

But regardless of what it is currently selling for, I give NM 98 the definite edge in importance because it actually is the first appearance of deadpool, and not just some cartoon character retconned for the first time into a comic book.

-J.

strange, I feel BA 12 is the more important book for the very same reasons you cite..

NM 98 is just too easy to find.

so many east coasters i know have entire long boxes full of NM 98...

Perhaps. But nobody really cared about the book until it was decreed that BA 12 was the closest anyone would ever get to a "first appearance". But as it increased in value plenty of copies came out of the wood work and there are dozens of raw copies available on any given day. The book is not remotely rare either.

-J.

-J.

BA12 = $666

-J.

I agree with everything you just said for the most part. But I still stand by my assertion that BA 12 is a weak example of a character's "first appearance". As much as I like harley we just have to accept that there is no real first appearance of her that will ever exist in a comic, and that's why it is not on par with a NM 9.8.

-J.

wouldn't you consider either Batman:Harley Quinn OGN or Batman 570 her first appearance in comics since you seem to be anti her animated version, and the OGN and 570 are not the animated version, and Batman 570 is a comic book for sure.

wouldnt that be her first appearance by your thinking? (since BA12 isnt?) She's in continuity now so at SOME point she had to first appear... the market thinks that its BA12, or to a lesser degree the OGN... but somewhere it had to start.

Do we have other examples of this? where the first appearance seems out of continuity? Maybe something from an OGN?

NM 98 is one of the best investment books out there (I'm sure many will disagree). Deadpool has become an incredibly popular character, and there is still a remarkable amount of room for said popularity to increase. 10 years from now, you'll be wishing that you picked up a 9.8 for $400. 2c

Doubt it.

Now Captain Canuck #1---THAT'S where the real money is at.

Edited by Rich_Henn

-J.

BA12 = $666

-J.

-J.

wouldn't you consider either Batman:Harley Quinn OGN or Batman 570 her first appearance in comics since you seem to be anti her animated version, and the OGN and 570 are not the animated version, and Batman 570 is a comic book for sure.

wouldnt that be her first appearance by your thinking? (since BA12 isnt?) She's in continuity now so at SOME point she had to first appear... the market thinks that its BA12, or to a lesser degree the OGN... but somewhere it had to start.

Do we have other examples of this? where the first appearance seems out of continuity? Maybe something from an OGN?

Personally I like the OGN but again it is just unfortunate happenstance that she first appeared in a cartoon, IMO as a comic book purist and aficionado it diminishes the importance of the book, and exists more as a novelty book.

Still love the character though. She's my number 2 favorite female character behind black cat.

-J.

I have a copy which is probably a 9.6-9.8 or so, but I have obtained it via a gift from a friend which bought it at the time and do not care.

I would have never bought it, not even at 50 dollars, but I wished to complete my New Mutants collection (which I dropped disgusted at the time precisely because of these issues) and the only way to do it was… to have it for free.

Prices for 9.8 books do not make sense to me, regardless of content, but they make even less sense for a New Mutants #98…

Deadpool is a sort of satire, one may love it but has nothing to do with what Marvel have been, and I don’t care what Marvel choose to be when he denied its past.

I can tell you about two NM #98s that are in a permanent collection.

I used to be a fan, but not so much anymore. Remender's X-Force was the last time I enjoyed a DP book.

As for Harley, I believed for years the Batman One Shot would be the book to own.

Oops....

I believe that of the 1400 copies out there, at least 500 of them are owned by flippers, you can see it on ebay and there are always copies on the big auction sites.

I bet on here, just on the boards, we can find 50 copies that are just for flipping. Anyone want to take that bet?

How are you defining flippers? Anyone willing to sell the book? Anyone who bought the book in hopes of it increasing in value for future sales? Considering the number of dealers on here I'm sure there are 50 "investment " copies in people's boxes...

At the right price virtually anyone will sell almost any book.

I believe that of the 1400 copies out there, at least 500 of them are owned by flippers, you can see it on ebay and there are always copies on the big auction sites.

I bet on here, just on the boards, we can find 50 copies that are just for flipping. Anyone want to take that bet?

How are you defining flippers? Anyone willing to sell the book? Anyone who bought the book in hopes of it increasing in value for future sales? Considering the number of dealers on here I'm sure there are 50 "investment " copies in people's boxes...

At the right price virtually anyone will sell almost any book.

I consider someone who buys a book with the hope of getting a better return on that investment within a year, a flipper. More than a year would be considered an investor, and for one's own personal collection, would be a collector.

NM 98 is one of the best investment books out there (I'm sure many will disagree). Deadpool has become an incredibly popular character, and there is still a remarkable amount of room for said popularity to increase. 10 years from now, you'll be wishing that you picked up a 9.8 for $400. 2c

He's popular, but there are 1400 9.8s, and who knows how many more raw copies waiting to be pressed into 9.8s. You'll need thousands of people willing to spend more than $400 for a 9.8 - which by the way looks identical to a 9.4 or 9.6 - if this book is going to see a significant increase.

I talked to a guy who owned a large store in the US. He said that Deadpool carries his entire store. The character is insanely popular right now. Maybe not so much the Vintage crowd. but very much so to the younger crowd.

And this is exactly what's important. The younger crowd is perpetuating the popularity of the character. If you're playing the long-term game smartly, pay attention to our younger generations and what's mainstream. I do not see this book going down in value for at least 10 years. Anytime you question the health of a character, just look around and see what the kids like. And they love them some Deadpool, TMNT and Harley Quinn in spades. Just be happy they still like most of our favorites (i.e. Batman, Wolverine or Captain America). As long as demand outstrips supply, the books will prosper.

Also, as someone pointed out earlier, the CPR method is artificially inflating the census numbers. By what percentage, we'll never know unless CGC starts an incentive program to return old labels for accuracy.