• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worst Comic Concepts

21 posts in this topic

There are just some character concepts that just didn't sit well with me, even as a kid. Keep in mind I don't read much Modern tripe anymore, so some of these have probably been retcon'd back and forth on a daily basis since then:

I have quite a few I may list later on, but the one that I feel is ultra-lame:

That Ben Grimm Mentally Controlled Each of his Changes to The Thing and Back.

I don't know how many of these FF issues that I've read, but Reed will find some miraculous way of transforming Ben back to The Thing, and then drag his cohorts aside and let them know (for the umpteenth time) that Ben actually mentally changed back because he's concerned about losing Alicia, blah, blah, blah.

Just tell the poor guy! grin.gif

Any others?

There is no reason for a collector to have more than 2 different cover images on 1 comic. Front & back cvr flip bk is OK, but 4-13 different cvrs for the exact same interior? Gr8 mktg gimmick until all the fanboys ran out of $$$ to buy comics they were never going to open up in the 1st place.

Retcons !

destroying a characters history and credibility by implying that the reader somehow missed a vital piece of info over the years and that wacked-out concepts really are logical

- Iron Man becoming a killer after 30 years of heroism (and claiming that he has always been bad) because Kang went back in time and messed up Tony.

- Silver Surfer had always been able to leave earth/shatter the Galactus barrier if he just had NOT used his board...

- Jean Grey never became Phoenix, she just took a nice long nap on the bottom of the sea (how's that for 'cocooning')

Oh please....

Yeah, that Jean Grey retcon was really bad, and I think shut the door on anyone caring about a "comic book death" ever again.

And speaking of crappy concepts, I can remember back when Origin was announced and I was on USENET gabbing about how many "origins" Marvel had already done for poor old Wolvie (and thenproceeded to explain as memory implants, Skrulss in disguise, etc.). I stated that it was open game on any character to be retcon'd like that or have his/her origin re-written.

I mentioned Captain America being turned into a flag-waving Punisher (another What If issue) and having his origin totally re-done or reconned as a possibility, since sales were down on that title. I was literally laughed off USENET, as many stated that "we already know Cap's origin" and "Marvel would never fluck with an icon like that".

Check out the latest Cap , where he's snapping villain's necks and trying to piece together his implanted/wiped memories of his past.

Bringing back Norman Osborn, explaining that no, he hadn't died when that glider ruptured his heart because of a 'healing factor'. Medically impossible - self sealing tires are no good if a blowout occurs so how does a healing factor work for this explanation? And the hackneyed comic cliche of a healing factor.....

It gets better! Where was Norman, if he'd survived the glider injury? Ahhhh, he was in Europe, controlling business interests there. tongue.gif Like the financial community and thus, the Daily Bugle, wouldn't notice that. And like a man of Norman's ego would let Liz Allen run his business in absentia. And like a maniac like Normie wouldn't return upon hearing of Harry's death, with Spidey/Peter involved.

Thanks, CI. I've been waiting to clean out the closet on this one for awhile.

Jean Grey never became Phoenix, she just took a nice long nap on the bottom of the sea (how's that for 'cocooning')

This one is my nomination. Just vile. 150% lame.

What's so funny about the return of Norman Osborne is that no one in the collectng community cares, and even Wizard still lists ASM 122 as the death of the Green Goblin.

The whole concept is so stupid, illogical and ill-conceived, everyone is waiting for Marvel to retcon it back to the way it was, using a clone, a Skrull, an illusion, or anything at all to get rid of this .

While we're at it, where the hell is Peter and MJ's baby?

And thanks a lot, Dan. mad.gif I'd forgotten what a fiasco the Elektra situation was.... each reminder of these silly retcons are making me more and more grouchy....

My biggest peeve was that all the original series were ended because of that stupid ONSLAUGHT thing.

Then theres the time when RED GHOST powers were changed from being intangible to being made of gas. Did he ever return to his original powers of being intangible?

Never cared for the fact that VISION was really the original Torch from the golden age. But I did like the idea that Mad Thinker brought back to life the original Torch in FF Anual #4.

Hawkeye as Goliath. Ya right!

Ant Man to Yellowjacket then becoming evil.

Quicksilver going nuts.

Herbie!

Nuff said!

Now for DC

Bane breaking Batmans back.

Death of Superman.

Green Arrow suddenly having a mustash and beard and acting like he has a chip on his sholder. What was that all about.

J'onn J'onnz Martain Manhunter being powerless around fire and his origin of coming to Earth was lame.

I could point out a lot of things I didn't care for, but I can say there were more good things. Otherwise I wouldn't be into comics as much as I am.

"Bullseye shoved a SHI THROUGH her. She bled out on Matt Murdock's doorstep. She was AUTOPSIED."

Call me crazy, but I didn't think this one was that bad (even though Miller went on to re-enforce her death with What if? #35 shortly after DD #181). I think Miller's plan all along was to 'purge' Elektra which is what he did quite nicely with DD #190. Elektra kind of vanished after #190 for a few years and re-appeared with the Elektra hardcover which left me scratching my head. WTF?

I though Stone was a pretty neat character in the series and I think there's a lot of potential for Marvel to do a great story with Stick and Stone (they'll have to change the title though). Miller's second run with Romita didn't impress me as much.

You didn't like the Born Again story? I think its Top 5!

Here's some more:

One little bit of Marvel history that conveniently gets forgotten - Ben Grimm and Reed Richards were World War II fighter pilots. That would make them, AT THE YOUNGEST, 75 (assuming they were 18 in 1945).

Johnny Storm went to college in 1966.

Peter Parker graduated from high school in 1965 and college in 1978.

The Many Deaths of May Parker. (although, to Marvel's credit, I really like her now - its the first time she hasn't been a totally worthless character).

Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson's "song" is "The Hustle" (I forgot which ASM, has Ross Andru art, came out in 1974).

The Todd McFarlane totally stunning Mary Jane - um, like were supposed to buy that meek Peter Parker would get her?

"You didn't like the Born Again story? I think its Top 5!"

His Born Again story was amazing! A lot darker and grittier. The Miller/Romita series I was talking about was the '93 5 issue mini-series. Lots of hype going in, but kind of fizzled towards the end. I've heard good things about Daredevil:Yellow, but haven't picked it up (waiting for the trade paperback if it ever makes it).

"You mean the 'Daredevil Man without Fear' mini by Miller/Romita ?"

Yup, the series was fine, but after doing his original run in DD, and then 'Born Again', my expectations were probably a bit too high wink.gif