• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why are we so attached to our comics?

85 posts in this topic

isn't the chase a huge part of the fun, anyway!?!

I have never chased a comic book really, most all of my books have bought new, by me, off of the shelf. (Keyword: "most.") The ones I didn't buy new, I never really had to "chase" to get.

-slym

I think most of you know I am not in the best situation, and money is never plentiful for me. So, with all these collectables, why can't I bring myself to sell them? It took a painful effort to start selling my books, but as I get closer to "my REAL collection," i.e., the books I personally bought off of the stands, I find myself dragging my heels to get them out, get pics or scans, and sell them. It's taken MONTHS to get my UXM from 94-130 scanned, graded, and now I only have 3 left from that group, and it has been weeks (months?) since I have listed any others. When I get to #171 (the one I first bought off the stands) I think I am gonna have a breakdown. What is gonna happen to me from 171 to #472, when I stopped collecting? And...

Why? Why the HELL am I so attached to these? Why do I literally have a minor panic attack when I even think of getting them out to sell? They aren't even worth that much money, but it is 300+ issues of a book I put my childhood into. My "adjectiveless" X-Men goes from 1 to 172, and my Wolverine goes from 50 to the end of vol. 2 (183?) and then the first 30 or issues of vol. 3. I need to just go ahead and get what I can for them and do what I need to.

I can't be the only one who ever felt like that. All you that have turned over your collections at least once, how did you cope? Am I really that weak inside? If I can sell off those mutant titles, and my VALIANT collection, I would have maybe a long box of comics left, some of those I bought recently on speculation.

I guess this is some sort of cry for help...

:(

Your saying goodbye to a part of your childhood which is sad.

Think now of a new beginning.

Also keep a few if you can.

Or...change your situation so you don't have to sell them (shrug)

I have been trying that for over a year now, man...

:(

-slym

Sincere best wishes, slym. :wishluck:

I haven't been on the forums long, but I've collected tons of different things throughout my life thus far. Ever since I was a kid - there's always been something. I still love reading new books every week though when it comes to chasing keys and digging through boxes I love the thrill of the hunt.

As for selling, it's difficult for me to piece out things one at a time. I've done a couple mystery box sales (one just closed) where I get rid of a good chunk of books I can live without, and give a good deal to some boardies. Still some good stuff, but a lot of duplicates and books that I don't have any "connection" to. I generally don't make a ton of cash from them after I factor in what I've paid, paypal fees and eating a good chunk of the flat rate shipping costs - but it's fun to give back a bit.

Re: Why are we so attached to our comics?

I read the thread title and was initially going to ask if there was a lot of tape in your collection, then read your first post and thought, "Oh, he's pretty serious".

BECAUSE they are a piece of our lost childhood

So I'll agree with this.

Looking back; when I immersed myself in my comics as a young child, I felt as though I were safe in a secure little world, where the only need for worry or the only threat came from the villains within the pages I held. Unless the story run was incomplete, the hero usually won, building that sense of comfort. If needed, I always had other books where someone saved the day.

Now and then there was a book where the day simply couldn't be saved (Gwen :( ). Having those books allowed me to be there for those characters who had always been there for me. Collecting them today allows what remains of that young child to "hold a torch", in a sense.

That's why I'm so attached, I think ;)

_

Not sure if it's been said but there are very, very few books that are truly rare. Most are easily replaceable albeit at whatever the prevailing market prices may be at that time.

If you have the need to hold on to more than a few books that only contain sentimental value and it's to the detriment of your current situation, then you have a problem.

I remember reading Superboy #153 in the hospital when I was 11. That issue always stuck with me probably due to the circumstances. My parents let me pick out a stack of comics but that was the only one I remembered so I checked the dates of other DC superman books that I would have bought and sure enough, every one was a book that was sunk deep in my psyche. Action #371 Superman #213/214 Jimmy Olsen # 117.

Sorry Slym, hadn't read your post thoroughly, sorry to hear you are having financial problems. We've all been there, been there myself. Ran through $50k 401k and IRA savings during an unemployment stint. Not to mention the penalties.

There is light at the end of the tunnel, there always is, hang in there.

I sold my entire comic collection to help pay for school. I also lost a large portion (in number) of the ASM run I accumulated as a kid and teenager due to a miscommunication. The thought of losing stuff is worse than actually losing it.

It's just stuff. Stuff is nice to have, but if holding onto it is causing an issue, psychologically or materially, then it defeats its own purpose. It's important to detach from material goods as much as possible; it'll always be there to re-acquire when things are better.

OK, I have spent today scanning issues 132-150 of my UXM. I will look them over, decide grades and prices, and list them on eBay tomorrow. (I know there is no use trying here, these issues are so common that I am sure everyone already has them - and I have been told as much before.) I know most of these are only in mid-grade condition and I won't get $5 each for them, but so be it.

Thanks again, everyone.

-slym

Nostalgia.

Remembrance of the past and better times. Certainly childhood, but also later on like the 90s. It was great to be a part of something and go home every week with something that thrilled your imagination.

I also have a lot of comics. I got rid of some that I felt I could part with, but I have so many that take up an entire room. It is a problem, but not something I am willing to part with yet. I also have a cash crunch at the moment so I sympathize with the OP and those on the board who have lost their jobs, or who have their jobs threatened.

I don't have any great advice unfortunately. I think everyone hits a moment where they have decide what's best for them at a given moment. I don't think you necessarily have to part with your collectibles but some time away from them is always healthy.

Kramer: It's about a guy buying a loaf of bread.

Jerry: No, bread is his soul. He's trying to buy back a loaf of his soul.

OK, I have spent today scanning issues 132-150 of my UXM. I will look them over, decide grades and prices, and list them on eBay tomorrow. (I know there is no use trying here, these issues are so common that I am sure everyone already has them - and I have been told as much before.) I know most of these are only in mid-grade condition and I won't get $5 each for them, but so be it.

Thanks again, everyone.

-slym

132 -150 is a great run.

(thumbs u

Good Luck on your sales slym!!

Make sure you advertise here!!

Myself, I do get a buzz buying comics or getting a great deal.

Selling depresses me.

Trading, is definitely the best way for me to

part with/change my comic collection.

But trading does not really help, in a financial jam.

The main reason I'm so attached to my comics is kids were playing with superglue dammit.

I sold my entire comic collection to help pay for school. I also lost a large portion (in number) of the ASM run I accumulated as a kid and teenager due to a miscommunication. The thought of losing stuff is worse than actually losing it.

It's just stuff. Stuff is nice to have, but if holding onto it is causing an issue, psychologically or materially, then it defeats its own purpose. It's important to detach from material goods as much as possible; it'll always be there to re-acquire when things are better.

I agree. It also will possibly be cheaper to re-acquire most of the stuff in the future, as it seems the younger generation really isn`t into collecting things like comics, baseball cards,stamps and coins like their fathers did. It seems digital devices have slowed down most of the hobbies, plus even the word antique is frowned upon by the Millennials.

Letting go of comics is always terrible, at least letting go of the ones you like. But you get over it. I only have a couple left from my childhood. I've gotten rid of just about everything worth selling. I have kept a handful my mom brought me home when I was around four years old, I held onto the first one I ever dug out of a quarter bin, the first one I bought new, a couple my grandma and mom gave me, and that's it. I could hold all my sentimental comics in a 4" binder at this point.

I would PM you for a half price deal anyways.

:ohnoez:

But seriously, I go to our local comic convention on my birthday,

rather than my family giving me a party..

I know I have issues.....

lots of them......

:idea: