• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why are we so attached to our comics?

85 posts in this topic

I think most of you know I am not in the best situation, and money is never plentiful for me. So, with all these collectables, why can't I bring myself to sell them? It took a painful effort to start selling my books, but as I get closer to "my REAL collection," i.e., the books I personally bought off of the stands, I find myself dragging my heels to get them out, get pics or scans, and sell them. It's taken MONTHS to get my UXM from 94-130 scanned, graded, and now I only have 3 left from that group, and it has been weeks (months?) since I have listed any others. When I get to #171 (the one I first bought off the stands) I think I am gonna have a breakdown. What is gonna happen to me from 171 to #472, when I stopped collecting? And...

Why? Why the HELL am I so attached to these? Why do I literally have a minor panic attack when I even think of getting them out to sell? They aren't even worth that much money, but it is 300+ issues of a book I put my childhood into. My "adjectiveless" X-Men goes from 1 to 172, and my Wolverine goes from 50 to the end of vol. 2 (183?) and then the first 30 or issues of vol. 3. I need to just go ahead and get what I can for them and do what I need to.

I can't be the only one who ever felt like that. All you that have turned over your collections at least once, how did you cope? Am I really that weak inside? If I can sell off those mutant titles, and my VALIANT collection, I would have maybe a long box of comics left, some of those I bought recently on speculation.

I guess this is some sort of cry for help...

:(

-slym

Slym, it sounds as if I am in a similar place as you financially. In fact, I have been fighting the need for me to sell my stuff vs. my desire to keep my collection for a while now. But at this point (and I have known this for several months), I have finally come to terms that I MUST get rid of the collection, but it is so damn difficult to take that first step. I cant explain it either, but I can relate completely. The only thing I try to keep focused on is that once I get myself in a better position financially, I have every intention of collecting and re-acquiring my stuff over again....and isn't the chase a huge part of the fun, anyway!?!

Some of you know my story already. I not only had a huge comic collection, Star Wars collection and Atari 2600 collection but I also had the largest Super Powers collection in the world. I ended up being unemployed for 3 years (the first time that's ever happened) and it was all wiped out. It still depresses me at least a few times a week. I have a wonderful woman in my life & a beautiful daughter and that's certainly enough, but sometimes it really gets to me that I'll never have "it all" again. :(

It's damn difficult to let go, and when you're back's against the wall and you HAVE to do so...well, that makes it worse.

I feel for you, Slym...it's a horrible feeling.

Peace,

Chip

12 months ago I had 10 short boxes and 4 long boxes full of comics.

I'm getting married in 3 months and moving to Seattle so I had to cull

Books that I owned since 1987 bought of the news stand.

Sold to my LCS for pennies on the dollar.

early silver and bronze for pennies but also a lot of paper.

The price for selling as one with cash up front.

I kept all my high grade silver, major keys and golden age.

Went from 4000+ down to 230 that sit in just 3 short boxes.

one box and a bit a just cgc's

I'll pack them in the luggage of family members going over to the wedding and my own luggage.

So I kept all my valuable books plus the sentimental ones like peter parker 124 my first comic that started me into serious collecting in high school. Also punisher 1 and hulk 340, bought them off the news stands.

But I sold stuff I'll never replace, TOS 50-99, Strange Tales 117 -160 ect.

I don't have a e-bay account so that's why I sold it to my LCS

But bright side I'm left with the cream of my collection plus my early bought books.

and I will start again later in the year.

So I know exactly how you feel Slym

Take comfort you are getting more money for your books then what I got

I also bought Punisher #1 when I was a kid.

I've thinking about it as well. But my wife says I should hold onto them for a rainy day.

but sometimes it really gets to me that I'll never have "it all" again. :(

I don't know. You may not be able to have it all right now but having it all back again one day is always possible.

Nostalgia.

Knowing I own something only a handful of people in this world have.

Personal childhood goal of obtaining something I always wanted.

That happy feeling when you go through your collection.

....kinda hard to let those things go.

I can definitely relate to this. I spent all of last year unemployed. I just couldn't bring myself to sell my ASM collection, which I've been collecting for 20 years and am only missing a few issues. When this year started and the unemployment extension ran out, I came really close to selling, as I made no income in January and February. I was finally offered a job in February and I've been getting back on my feet ever since.

I also often toy with the idea of selling my collection to put a nice chunk of $ on my student loans, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I often say.."I could sell my entire collection. Well, except this piece. And this one. And this one....". It's a slippery slope.

From what I have been gathering is that student loans have put many people into debt in the US.

This shouldn`t be happening.

2c

I think most of you know I am not in the best situation, and money is never plentiful for me. So, with all these collectables, why can't I bring myself to sell them? It took a painful effort to start selling my books, but as I get closer to "my REAL collection," i.e., the books I personally bought off of the stands, I find myself dragging my heels to get them out, get pics or scans, and sell them. It's taken MONTHS to get my UXM from 94-130 scanned, graded, and now I only have 3 left from that group, and it has been weeks (months?) since I have listed any others. When I get to #171 (the one I first bought off the stands) I think I am gonna have a breakdown. What is gonna happen to me from 171 to #472, when I stopped collecting? And...

Why? Why the HELL am I so attached to these? Why do I literally have a minor panic attack when I even think of getting them out to sell? They aren't even worth that much money, but it is 300+ issues of a book I put my childhood into. My "adjectiveless" X-Men goes from 1 to 172, and my Wolverine goes from 50 to the end of vol. 2 (183?) and then the first 30 or issues of vol. 3. I need to just go ahead and get what I can for them and do what I need to.

I can't be the only one who ever felt like that. All you that have turned over your collections at least once, how did you cope? Am I really that weak inside? If I can sell off those mutant titles, and my VALIANT collection, I would have maybe a long box of comics left, some of those I bought recently on speculation.

-slym

Your saying goodbye to a part of your childhood which is sad.

Think now of a new beginning.

Also keep a few if you can.

-slym

Your saying goodbye to a part of your childhood which is sad.

Think now of a new beginning.

Also keep a few if you can.

Or...change your situation so you don't have to sell them (shrug)

Selling is tough, but subjecting yourself to hardship by hanging onto things that can not only be replaced, but be replaced easily seems unnecessary. I sold off most of my collection to refinance our house to make life easier for us, and when i put it into perspective - it made way more sense than hanging onto them.

I'm slowly buying back the books I really miss. There are plenty of them - and it will take time, but it's not impossible. And, should the time come again, I'll sell them all off one more time. They're just comics - I love collecting, but in some weird way, I enjoy the chase of collecting. For me, sometimes it's more fun going after books than having them in my file cabinet.

Good luck, Slym!

I don't think you're weak at all for not wanting to sell off your books. They aren't just comic books either, but rather tangible reflections of your personality and character. They represent where you were in your life when you purchased them. I think being reluctant is only normal when it comes to selling off sentiment. 2c

As was previously mentioned, you have built up some value in your X-Men.

You might want to consider selling off that collection to partially fund a smaller, more focused collection (that equally fits your interests) and also use some of that money to get yourself out of a hole.

Perhaps you like women with red hair... or those that can phase through walls.

How... how did you know both of those things? Seriously, I fell "in love" with Jean Grey the instant I saw her, but (and I think many guys my age did too,) Kitty Pryde was my age at the time, and I grew up with her, literally.

:)

-slym

Slym, it's agonizing, but it's also emancipating., You HAVE to shovel out occasionally or you'll eventually end up on an episode of HOARDERS.

A friend of mine has kept EVERY single book he's ever bought since childhood. He recently injured his back and had to go on disability (in his early 60's) and even though he has to move between his stacks of books in small aisles, and even though the stuff he stored in his basement is slowly turning to mush from the damp, he can't force himself to let go of anything.

I've offered to help him set up at a one day show with duplicates to get him some ready cash, and he keeps saying that's a good idea, but he never follows up.

Many good books are going to be ruined entirely because of his obsession, and he's living on a fixed income and struggling, but he still can't let go.

It depresses me that so many nice items are going to end up in a landfill one day.

...and here's the thing for you:

EVERYTHING that you mentioned above is readily available, and if you shop at shows, most of it is available in dollar or 50 cent boxes. Let it go, and when times are better, replace it. Keep a few mementos if you want, but dump the rest and replace them when you're flush again.

I've been very happy over the last few years practicing "catch and release" on big ticket items, especially Golden Age, and I'm near to completing my SA Marvel (and select DC) collection...for the fourth time, lol

It's all out there, and readily available.

Enjoy it as it should be enjoyed, as a comparatively inexpensive hobby with literally tons of great stuff available for next to nothing.

I was never into that many different comics for myself. The only reason I ever got up to ~3200 comics at my peak was because of all the X-Men mini-series and the VALIANT stuff of the '90s. I only ever really collected UXM, "regular" X-Men, Wolverine, and again, the related minis as well as almost the entire VALIANT lineup for the first 3-4 years they published.

Everything else you say - a lot I know, and it doesn't make it easier. These are my copies, and buying the same issue later won't have the same connection. There is also the point that I won't get a whole lot of money for most of what I have left that makes me think "why?" all over again.

Thanks for the kind words!

-slym

this is very commendable and shows a more gentle and soft side of Slym.

I was once on hard times in 2007 and when gas went up to $4.50+ a gallon i couldnt even fill up my tank after being layed off. I had to painstakingly sell one of my Gibson Les Pauls.

Been there and not something you even wish upon your worst enemy

Thank you Jesus for changing my life on September 15, 2008

It's a vicous cycle, but it seems to help me keep my sanity working a 9-5 and supporting a family.

It's a hobby.

I think people are discussing collecting vs. actual hoarding, which actually affects normal life.

There's nothing wrong with collecting something out of nostalgia or for investment (or whatever reason) but if you're sitting on a pile of cool comics but can't feed the kids then it's a problem. I think. hm

Totally not the circumstance I am describing. At my worst I was never a hoarder, and I don't have kids to feed. I think part is that I am being helped out by family as it is, so that part of my brain is telling me "no need to get rid of this stuff anyway!"

*sigh*

-slym