• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Amazing Fantasy #15 - From .5 to 5.0

64 posts in this topic

What replaced the remaindered portion at the top of the cover?

Looks like Japanese paper and hand redone. Check the top of the clouds and the lettering on "introducing". OP am I completely off here? BTW It looks amazing! Congratulations on having such a nice piece in your collection.

It's not Japanese paper, it's actually something a little more ingenious, but I'll let MastrCntrlProgram decide if he wants to give away his secret. :cool:

Well whatever his secret is, he did an amazing job!

Looks like Japanese paper and hand redone. Check the top of the clouds and the lettering on "introducing". OP am I completely off here? BTW It looks amazing! Congratulations on having such a nice piece in your collection.

It's not Japanese paper, it's actually something a little more ingenious, but I'll let MastrCntrlProgram decide if he wants to give away his secret. :cool:

He likely leaf casted it both for the missing top and all the damage on the spine, then color touched along the spine and recreated the top third.

Mike has worked on a book for me before. Did great work. Took a trimmed Avengers 1 in 8.0 to 9.2

He likely leaf casted it both for the missing top and all the damage on the spine, then color touched along the spine and recreated the top third.

Mike has worked on a book for me before. Did great work. Took a trimmed Avengers 1 in 8.0 to 9.2

Tony is correct, but I need to elaborate more.

After the exhausting task of removing the tape stains and a general wash, I did leaf-cast in all the missing paper. On the outside it is all hand drawn and color touched except the CCA, that came from another book. On the inside I could have used my ink transfer method to replace the ad, but I decided to get this from another book.

After the exhausting task of removing the tape stains and a general wash, I did leaf-cast in all the missing paper. On the outside it is all hand drawn and color touched except the CCA, that came from another book. On the inside I could have used my ink transfer method to replace the ad, but I decided to get this from another book.

(worship)

Why did you draw the cover in by hand?

big book...nice job....your recreation is always fun to see. That was definately an expensive rag pauper turned into a readable shiny princess.

What would you think my other options were?

There are several techniques for transferring large pieces. One involves making a high resolution print and grafting it onto the book. And, before you say anything, it's a lot more complicated than just making a color copy and gluing it on.

There are several techniques for transferring large pieces. One involves making a high resolution print and grafting it onto the book. And, before you say anything, it's a lot more complicated than just making a color copy and gluing it on.

That's what I was thinking...or I was wondering why you didn't use something like this:

On the inside I could have used my ink transfer method to replace the ad, but I decided to get this from another book.

He didn't have to use the ink transfer method for the inside ad because he found an even better way to do it in this case:

14106615340_3614caa581_c.jpg

So are you saying he used the inside ad from another cover and just drew over the front cover to fill in the artwork?

I'm not trying to pick apart his work, I'm just curious as to how it was done.

He didn't have to use the ink transfer method for the inside ad because he found an even better way to do it in this case:

14106615340_3614caa581_c.jpg

So are you saying he used the inside ad from another cover and just drew over the front cover to fill in the artwork?

I'm not trying to pick apart his work, I'm just curious as to how it was done.

:gossip: I believe he was making a joke. The advertisement was for a lightbox projector that you use to trace drawings.

That's what I was thinking...or I was wondering why you didn't use something like this:

On the inside I could have used my ink transfer method to replace the ad, but I decided to get this from another book.

Sorry I am so far behind in the conversation. I enjoy the feedback, so these are great questions. I am always looking for new and better ways to do what I do, so thanks.

First, I want to make sure you understand how I did this particular book. I leaf-casted the book including the remainder area. I then drew the front by hand, and filled in the color with acrylics. The inside is a ad from another book, which was glued over the casted paper.

Okay, so why didn't I use my ink transfer on the front instead of drawing it by hand? The answer depends on whether we are talking about color too, or just the black lines.

If I used a color transfer, I would be concerned that it would be considered a "color copy". I will address why that is an issue farther down the post.

As far as just black transfer, that may have been a better way to do it. I will have to weight the pro's and con's, and do some experiments. One complication is the off-white ct would have to be done first, then black ink, then colors. That might not seem like a big deal at first, but comic restoration is just not as straight forward as it seems. (:

So why don't I just use a "color copy" to fill in the remainder?

If it is going to be a raw restored book, then it could just come down to customer preference, but I would advise against it unless it was the only realistic option.

When restoring a book with the intention of having it graded, there is a core problem. Based on one experiment, and a conversation with CGC, it is my understanding the restoration of a remainder with a "color copy" would result in either an "incomplete", "amateur", or both. Since I am only interested in complete professional results, I won't bother with "color copies".

Remember, if you have more questions and I don't respond immediately, it is because I am busy, and the answer is of length.