• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ant-Man director calls it quits

110 posts in this topic

About 3 months ago, Marvel had notes. The meat of the notes were about the core morality of the piece, must include franchise characters. etc., These notes came from the big four at Marvel. Joe Cornish and Edgar Wright did two drafts to try and answer the notes without compromising their vision.

Probably just a battle of egos. Bottom line is this movie would have never been green lighted as a standalone and it was only given a go to be part of the MCU. Since Wright's -script pre-dates MCU obviously it would need some tweaks to fit in. With or without Wright the show goes on...

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Director Responds To Edgar Wright's ANT-MAN Exit

"Sometimes you have friends in a relationship. You love each of them dearly as individuals and think they’re amazing people. When they talk to you about their troubles, you do everything you can to support them, to keep them together, because if you love them both so much doesn’t it make sense they should love each other? But little by little you realize, at heart, they aren’t meant to be together – not because there’s anything wrong with either of them, but they just don’t have personalities that mesh in a comfortable way. They don’t make each other happy. Although it’s sad to see them split, when they do, you’re surprisingly relieved, and excited to see where their lives take them next.

It’s easy to try to make one party “right” and another party “wrong” when a breakup happens, but it often isn’t that simple. Or perhaps it’s even more simple than that – not everyone belongs in a relationship together. It doesn’t mean they’re not wonderful people.

And that’s true of both Edgar Wright and Marvel. One of them isn’t a person, but I think you get what I mean." - James Gunn

8WQkdMN.png

Uh-oh.

AVENGERS Director Joss Whedon Shows Support For Edgar Wright

Joss Whedon (Marvel's The Avengers) posted a photo today of himself holding a Cornetto ice cream in the air and his head bowed solemnly. The pose echos that of the civil rights protest of the 1968 Olymics and is likely a reaction to the recent news that Edgar Wright (The Cornetto Trilogy) has left the production of Marvel's Ant Man after a dispute with Marvel Studios.

BoZHChVIgAEYQUp.jpg

Joss Whedon shows support for Edgar Wright after 'Ant-Man' departure

Saturday (May 24), Joss Whedon, the man behind "The Avengers" movies and just basically Marvel universe cohesiveness and continuity, posted the above tweet, which to the average person might seem innocuous, but Marvel nerds know it's Whedon's way of pouring one out for Wright.

The thing in Whedon's hand is a Cornetto ice cream treat, which is a nod to Wright's Three Flavours Cornetto Trilogy that includes "World's End," "Hot Fuzz" and "Shaun of the Dead."

I had never heard this reference before now.

The Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy (also known as the Blood and Ice Cream trilogy or The Cornetto trilogy) is a series of comedic genre films directed by Edgar Wright, written by Wright and Simon Pegg, produced by Nira Park, and starring Pegg and Nick Frost. The trilogy consists of Shaun of the Dead (2004), Hot Fuzz (2007), and The World's End (2013).

Each film in the trilogy is connected to a Cornetto ice cream, with a Cornetto of the appropriate flavour appearing in each film. Shaun of the Dead features a strawberry-flavoured Cornetto, which signifies the film's bloody and gory elements, Hot Fuzz includes the blue original Cornetto, to signify the police element to the film, and The World's End features the green mint chocolate chip flavour in a nod to aliens and science fiction.

I had never heard this reference before now.

The Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy (also known as the Blood and Ice Cream trilogy or The Cornetto trilogy) is a series of comedic genre films directed by Edgar Wright, written by Wright and Simon Pegg, produced by Nira Park, and starring Pegg and Nick Frost. The trilogy consists of Shaun of the Dead (2004), Hot Fuzz (2007), and The World's End (2013).

Each film in the trilogy is connected to a Cornetto ice cream, with a Cornetto of the appropriate flavour appearing in each film. Shaun of the Dead features a strawberry-flavoured Cornetto, which signifies the film's bloody and gory elements, Hot Fuzz includes the blue original Cornetto, to signify the police element to the film, and The World's End features the green mint chocolate chip flavour in a nod to aliens and science fiction.

lol , I've seen all three films and enjoyed each one but I never knew about this. Shaun of the Dead is still my favorite of the three.

lol , I've seen all three films and enjoyed each one but I never knew about this. Shaun of the Dead is still my favorite of the three.

I just saw 'The World's End' last night for the first time. The robot girl using legs for arms was pretty funny. But 'Shaun of the Dead' is still my all-time favorite.

I just saw 'The World's End' last night for the first time. The robot girl using legs for arms was pretty funny. But 'Shaun of the Dead' is still my all-time favorite.

:headbang:

Seems like it doesn't matter who directs a lot of these Marvel movies

Exactly, these are generic action movies aimed squarely at 10-year olds, so it's hardly important who directs. In fact, the writer is far more important when you have a homogenized, low-brow film "house style".

The news has moved the market. Check out GPA: TTA 27, 35, and even 44 all nose-diving.

Checked. Not much. There are almost no down arrows on all grades.

My TTA 27 CGC 5.0 just sold on Comiclink last night for $3666 which would be a new GPA record by $400 (if GPA recorded comiclink auctions). So the "nose dive" of TTA 27, 35 & 44 has been greatly exagerated.

The news has moved the market. Check out GPA: TTA 27, 35, and even 44 all nose-diving.

Checked. Not much. There are almost no down arrows on all grades.

My TTA 27 CGC 5.0 just sold on Comiclink last night for $3666 which would be a new GPA record by $400 (if GPA recorded comiclink auctions). So the "nose dive" of TTA 27, 35 & 44 has been greatly exagerated.

The Antman movie is still in Marvel's hands and while I'm saddened by Edgar's departure (because I love his movies), I think Marvel will still do something pretty special with the movie.

Also, Edgar wanted Antman to be a "Stand alone" movie..... I'm going to wager Marvel will now tie it into their universe.

Seems like it doesn't matter who directs a lot of these Marvel movies

Exactly, these are generic action movies aimed squarely at 10-year olds, so it's hardly important who directs. In fact, the writer is far more important when you have a homogenized, low-brow film "house style".

Sometimes low- brow outlasts them all.

2.jpg

:cloud9:

James Gunn to direct Ant-Man??

James Gunn was the most outspoken member of the Marvel family when Edgar Wright left Ant-Man, writing a Facebook post about his regret over the situation without throwing either person under the bus. "Not everyone belongs in a relationship together" was his sentiment, and it seemed like the perfect way to soothe both Ant-Man and Wright devotees as well as those swearing at the altar of Marvel. Was it enough to get him this job? Guardians Of The Galaxy was sort of a goofy, broad palette, but now he'd be dealing with a movie set up by another filmmaker with two bonafide leading men in Paul Rudd and Michael Douglas. Big shoes to fill for a guy some say Marvel was absolutely crazy to hire in the first place.

Oh man.

UPDATE: Adam McKay Pulls Out of Ant-Man Negotiations

UPDATE: Well, this isn't good. Adam McKay was said to be in advanced talks last night, but now The Hollywood Reporter says he has pulled out of the negotiations. The decision is said to be his alone. Will Marvel now go with either Rawson Marshall Thurber or Ruben Fleischer?

Doesn't it seem kind of odd that a super-hero movie franchise, which is basically another way to say 'printing money' can't find a director.

There's got to be more to it than just what's on the surface.

Maybe some big $ bigwig is poking his nose too much in the creative process.

Why do they keep going after comedy directors? Sheesh. Way to kill the damn thing before it's even finished being made.

Peace,

Chip

Uh...because it's gonna be a comedy.

Doesn't it seem kind of odd that a super-hero movie franchise, which is basically another way to say 'printing money' can't find a director.

There's got to be more to it than just what's on the surface.

Maybe some big $ bigwig is poking his nose too much in the creative process.

Could be like the way James Bond's producers never wanted to hire a real director* that might "shake up" the formula of their success. By the sounds of the way this funnybook movie production is heading, I think we might get a "Zoom: Academy of Superheroes" type Marvel misstep. :(

*I don't hate James Bond movies (...well maybe Moonraker, Octopussy, Licence To Kill, A View to a Kill, Man with the Golden Gun. Did I say Moonraker?).

Why do they keep going after comedy directors? Sheesh. Way to kill the damn thing before it's even finished being made.

Peace,

Chip

At the very least it will mock the source material and the standard superhero conventions. But hey, sometimes people love that...look at the Incredibles :sick:

Peace,

Chip

At the very least it will mock the source material and the standard superhero conventions. But hey, sometimes people love that...look at the Incredibles :sick:

the best superhero flick ever made