• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Not exactly the Label discussion I expected today.

45 posts in this topic

KENNY!

Back at ya.

:headbang:

I personally am thrilled to see a 5 point scale that better labels slight tru extensive work.

KENNY!

Back at ya.

I personally am thrilled to see a 5 point scale that better labels slight tru extensive work.

I just read that, will try again after a few beers tonight to see if I can make more sense of it.

Though they did sink my battleship.

When I logged onto the boards today, I expected to see a discussion/dissection of CGC's new conso/resto labels.

Instead I got a mitt full o threads about Stevie B.

(:

Maybe today wasn't the best day to catch up on the boards!

:blush:

:hi:

I'm pretty happy to see these labels. Particularly the conservation label. Hopefully over time it may help relieve some of the stigma placed upon some of the types of work that really are beneficial to the long term integrity of the books.

KENNY!

Back at ya.

I just read that, will try again after a few beers tonight to see if I can make more sense of it.

I am afraid it might take more then that, it does seem confusing at first.

But any label changes made that better reflect not only the quantity of work applied, but also quality should help buyers and sellers of restored books equally.

KENNY!

Back at ya.

Shouldn't you be on the phone with Amazon yelling at someone??

KENNY!

Back at ya.

Shouldn't you be on the phone with Amazon yelling at someone??

They made me fall off the wagon, face first.

KENNY!

Back at ya.

I am afraid it might take more then that, it does seem confusing at first.

But any label changes made that better reflect not only the quantity of work applied, but also quality should help buyers and sellers of restored books equally.

(thumbs u I'm with you there!

KENNY!

Back at ya.

Well thought out idea, but it won't stop the visceral reaction of "Ick a PLOD" book.

The Purple label, even minimized and explained, will still be an impediment.

You can have a more complex scale and people will say "buy the book not the label" until they're red in the face, but the existing market treats Purple (Extensive) and Purple (Minor color touch) as about the same because it's still Purple at a glance.

The only real solution is all Blue, WITH the new restored/conserved designation. That's the ONLY way people will actually judge the book on a regular basis and not react to the crass PLOD.

KENNY!

Back at ya.

Well thought out idea, but it won't stop the visceral reaction of "Ick a PLOD" book.

The Purple label, even minimized and explained, will still be an impediment.

You can have a more complex scale and people will say "buy the book not the label" until they're red in the face, but the existing market treats Purple (Extensive) and Purple (Minor color touch) as about the same because it's still Purple at a glance.

The only real solution is all Blue, WITH the new restored/conserved designation. That's the ONLY way people will actually judge the book on a regular basis and not react to the crass PLOD.

I really am fine with the stigma that purple labels receive as I have no problem picking up SA Color Touch or SA Reinforcement Golden Age books at a fraction of a blue label cost.

As a collector I really like the new system! in theory this will help the market for PLODs because now people can distinguish a strata (so a A-1 Jim 83 would probably sell for more than an A-2 Jim 83 of the same grade and PQ) but what worries me is that this continues to complicate things for the non-collectors. I can just imagine trying to explain to a guy at a show what the difference is between the same two books because he doesn't understand what A-1 and A-2 mean. Glad to see CGC being proactive on this.

ETA: The one thing I do wish they had done though was go full blue on the conserved label with a big bold "CONSERVED" at the top in the middle. That way it's still a blue label book but people know that it has been conserved. The purple splash bothers me.

Beside word of mouth, has anyone actually seen or know concrete facts about the new designations? Where has it even been formally mentioned and what is designated classification within a specific category?

Beside word of mouth, has anyone actually seen or know concrete facts about the new designations? Where has it even been formally mentioned and what is designated classification within a specific category?

It was posted on CGC's main page earlier today.

http://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=4030&

Hence my OP!