• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Not exactly the Label discussion I expected today.

45 posts in this topic

Beside word of mouth, has anyone actually seen or know concrete facts about the new designations? Where has it even been formally mentioned and what is designated classification within a specific category?

:gossip: Kenny linked to it. It's on the home page

http://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=4030&

Somehow I overlooked that on the initial post. Thanks to both of you.

So... this would be conserved?

Because I have to say, it kills me that this book is sitting in a purple labeled slab and considered the same as one with pieces attached and moderate cover touches.

Restoration includes: Cover Cleaned, Cover Reinforced

bm11.jpg

Because I have to say, it kills me that this book is sitting in a purple labeled slab and considered the same as one with pieces attached and moderate cover touches.

bm11.jpg

I believe that if you cracked and resubbed after july 1 you would get a Conserved label.

This is the first step in removing the horrible perception of PLODs. Simply renaming the label will cause a positive monetary pendulum swing over time.

Looks like CAL will become the next Buffet.

This is the first step in removing the horrible perception of PLODs. Simply renaming the label will cause a positive monetary pendulum swing over time.

hm

buffett.gif

KENNY!

Back at ya.

:headbang:

I personally am thrilled to see a 5 point scale that better labels slight tru extensive work.

Well thought out idea, but it won't stop the visceral reaction of "Ick a PLOD" book.

The Purple label, even minimized and explained, will still be an impediment.

You can have a more complex scale and people will say "buy the book not the label" until they're red in the face, but the existing market treats Purple (Extensive) and Purple (Minor color touch) as about the same because it's still Purple at a glance.

The only real solution is all Blue, WITH the new restored/conserved designation. That's the ONLY way people will actually judge the book on a regular basis and not react to the crass PLOD.

I don't think this is true for higher dollar books, where the market seems capable of making distinctions, particularly between extensive and slight.

bm11.jpg

I believe that if you cracked and resubbed after july 1 you would get a Conserved label.

The article says "certain kinda of cleaning" would qualify for conservation label.

Not sure is that books "cover cleaned" would qualify...

bm11.jpg

The article says "certain kinda of cleaning" would qualify for conservation label.

Not sure is that books "cover cleaned" would qualify...

I'm guessing cover cleaned might qualify but interior lightened wouldn't. hm

KENNY!

Back at ya.

:headbang:

I personally am thrilled to see a 5 point scale that better labels slight tru extensive work.

Well thought out idea, but it won't stop the visceral reaction of "Ick a PLOD" book.

The Purple label, even minimized and explained, will still be an impediment.

You can have a more complex scale and people will say "buy the book not the label" until they're red in the face, but the existing market treats Purple (Extensive) and Purple (Minor color touch) as about the same because it's still Purple at a glance.

The only real solution is all Blue, WITH the new restored/conserved designation. That's the ONLY way people will actually judge the book on a regular basis and not react to the crass PLOD.

I don't think this is true for higher dollar books, where the market seems capable of making distinctions, particularly between extensive and slight.

Probably doesn't apply to mega keys...or any book in the mid to high five figures, where collectors will scrutinize the book.

But for books like X-Men 1...the drop in value of a 6.0 Blue to a 6.0 Purple can be huge. But there's very little price difference between a 6.0 with minor color touch and a 6.0 with extensive work. They both get hammered equally, which seems unfair. A Blue 6.0 for all three with the restoration detailed would force to the books to be judged on their merit and not just the PLOD.

What's interesting is that the point amount on the slab is the point amount of the most extensive restoration "task" used on the book. As compared to a subjective call on the blended nature of the overall work, which may include more than one task. Same goes for quality.

In other words, they're saying the resto is only as good as the worst piece of the job. That does make sense on one hand. But Kenny could address this better. Can a restorer do a great job on piece fill, but screw it up on tear seals? Is a hack a hack and going to do bad work all around, and a pro going to turn out consistent work on a number of varied tasks that go into the restoration?

When I logged onto the boards today, I expected to see a discussion/dissection of CGC's new conso/resto labels.

Instead I got a mitt full o threads about Stevie B.

(:

Maybe today wasn't the best day to catch up on the boards!

:blush:

:hi:

So, my attendance slackens (esp. in Comics General) and I find that ol' Kenny has gone from being Blue to Green!! :o

:ohnoez:

When I logged onto the boards today, I expected to see a discussion/dissection of CGC's new conso/resto labels.

Instead I got a mitt full o threads about Stevie B.

(:

Maybe today wasn't the best day to catch up on the boards!

:blush:

:hi:

Kenny :hi:

Very cool, and about time something happened.

The whole restoration scale thing sounds a little complicated, but I most welcome the Conservation class - and staple replacement, and I assume cleaning - although they didn't specially say this ("and certain kinds of cleaning.").

I guess we'll learn more as time passes.

Thanks for the tip (thumbs u

I think this is great for those who collect or don't mind PLODs, but I don't believe this will do anything to change the minds or hearts of those who turn up their noses at restored/conserved books. Changing the label style does not change what was done to the book, and for most people, restoration vs. conservation is just six of one and half dozen of another.

-J.