• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Blue Ribbon #2

7 posts in this topic

[font:Comic Sans MS][font:Century Gothic]Having a tough time hanging a grade on this. It is a hard to find GA book that I might consider selling but not sure how to accurately describe/grade it. The book in hand is very solid, cover (other than obvious issue) looks and feels great, interior pages are supple and off white-white. The spine has received amateur repair with some Japanese paper, archival tape, and an extra staple.

Suggestions on grade are greatly appreciated as are wether to leave as is or remove repairs.

Thanks in advance!

Bob

blueribbon1.jpg

blueribbon1b.jpg[/font][/font]

The nature of the resto doesn't do much to improve what looks like a 1.5 book due to missing pieces and spine splitting. If the repairs could be removed inexpensively without doing further damage it might be worth it, as some buyers will be more turned off by the obvious amateur resto than just a low grade copy that still has some pluses, but there is no guarantee it would sell for more. Another option is to have it professionally restored. I'd think it would be at least moderate resto, but could also end up an apparent 6.0. Still a moderately restored 6.0 with pieces added may not be worth any more than an unrestored 2.0, so the cost may not be worth the effort.

If I were going to sell it, I'd describe it as a FR/G with amateur resto, and play up the positives and look for a price close to what I'd expect the average unrestored 1.5 to get.

My first impression is 3.5 Restored Grade. I honestly can't see going higher for a restored grade when there are still missing art work and colour on both covers. Removing the restoration should be completed by a professional IMHO so as not to damage the book any further.

1.8 Universal Grade if the restoration is removed professionally without further damaging your book!

[font:Comic Sans MS]Thanks everyone. I am leaning towards having the repair removed properly, with hopes the artwork below is intact as the rice paper is on the top of the cover rather than on the underside. Hopefully the result will be a decent appearing book with some lower spine splitting and detached bottom staple. Luckily the top staple is still very secure.[/font]

[font:Comic Sans MS]Thanks everyone. I am leaning towards having the repair removed properly, with hopes the artwork below is intact as the rice paper is on the top of the cover rather than on the underside. Hopefully the result will be a decent appearing book with some lower spine splitting and detached bottom staple. Luckily the top staple is still very secure.[/font]

Wow if that is the case I would surely like to see the before and after scans so that we could re-grade this book!